Fragnstein controller for PS3

Options
Jetmaker737
Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,009
edited January 2010 in Video Games
Anybody use one of these? I ordered one up.

http://www.bannco.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=58&Itemid=18

I just got a PS3 and I'm just not good with console controllers. I played FPS's on the PC for years with mouse and keyboard. Hopefully this will fix me up.
SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|KEF Reference 1 Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
Post edited by Jetmaker737 on

Comments

• Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited January 2010
    Options
    If you're supposed to use that mouse and handheld Wii style controller at the same time....it seems lame. I want both hands on one controller when playing games unless it's motion capture like the Wii (and Natal)
  • Jetmaker737
    edited January 2010
    Options
    we'll see... like I said, I'm used to mouse and keyboard so the mouse part will be cool for me. It's just a matter of learning the nunchuk thing.

I have problems trying to control the little tiny thumb joystick for precision looking and aiming on the regular controller.
    SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|KEF Reference 1 Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I'm used to a mouse and keyboard (Nostromo N52te Speed Pad, to be precise) when I'm playing a computer game, but on a console just having a controller in one hand with a joystick to manage aim and a mouse seems incredibly more difficult to me.

Let us know how it works. Just about anything may be an upgrade to the PS3 controller. ;)
  • bevo
    bevo Posts: 306
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I don't own one, but I've heard they aren't very good. I'm really interested in hearing your opinion on it. Be sure to let us know how it is.
    Denon 1909, want to upgrade for pre outs
    Fronts-polk RTi A5
    center-polk CSi A4
    Sides Polk FXi A6
    rears- polk rm8's
    sub-SVS pb-13 ultra
    Blue ray-ps3
    Panasonic plasma 50 inch
    Buttkicker(don't use or need it anymore since getting the Ultra)
  • Jetmaker737
    edited January 2010
    Options
    It's being shipped now. I'll report back in a week or so after using it a bit.
  • jwhitakr
    jwhitakr Posts: 568
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Jetmaker - how'd it turn out? You like it? Recommend it?
    My HT
    HDTV: Panasonic PT-61LCX65 61" Rear Proj. LCD
    AVR: Harman Kardon AVR 235
    Video: 80GB PS3, Toshiba HD-XA1 HD DVD
    Fronts: Polk Audio RTi8
    Center: Polk Audio CSi3
    Amp: Emotiva LPA-1
    Surrounds: Polk Audio R150
    Sub: HSU STF-3

The only true barrier to knowledge is the assumption that you already have it. - C.H. Dodd
  • Jetmaker737
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I've had it now for a couple of weeks which for me is only a few hours playing time.

Set-up is a bit of a hassle due to there being three different sensitivity settings. And sensitivity is key to get a good compromise between speed in-game versus micro-movement accuracy. You need to be patient with this aspect. At this point though I have it set up pretty well. The mouse isn't as accurate in micro-movement as on a PC, but pretty close. Plus the PS3 seems to be a little more forgiving with your aim than, say, CS was. So I'm getting pretty good results on the campaign. I have yet to play online.

The utility lets you re-map keys however you want, which is sweet. I've experimented with a few configs and I'm getting it dialed in pretty well.

The FnS controller parts are well made and feel durable. There seems to be good support on their website with firmware updates posted occasionally. I'm using a huge mousepad (about 18"x12") set on a cutting board. It's very easy to play with this on my lap or sitting in front of me.

The FnS may not be for you if you're good with the PS3 controller. But if you've been raised on PC games with mouse and keyboard it's a decent way to get you in on PS3 gaming. Of course YMMV!

Jet :cool:
  • wutadumsn23
    wutadumsn23 Posts: 3,702
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Good write up man, I myself don't like the new Dualshock 3 controllers. Too heavy and I personally hate the vibration function, I know you can disable it, but still too heavy. I love my Sixaxis that came with my PS3, but they are no longer being made/sold at retailers. Can probably get them online still, so I will have to get a couple before they dissapear for good.

-Jeff
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Mains- Polk Audio Monitor 70
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Surrounds- Polk Audio TSi 500's :D
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Retired- Polk Audio Monitor 40's
    T.V.- 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000 LCoS
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)
    Polk Audio Monitor 10A's :cool:

It's not that I'm insensitive, I just don't care.. :D
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Off topic but have to ask while some PS3 folks are looking.

Will any Bluetooth keyboard/mouse combination work with a PS3? or do I have no choice but the one Sony offers?
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • wutadumsn23
    wutadumsn23 Posts: 3,702
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Mark, most V1.1, 1.2 and 2.0 Bluetooth devices will work. I personally have used Jabra and Plantronics (currently) and have had no issues. Did a Google search on a list of compatiable devices and I will post the results. It's the first one, but it is firewalled here at work, so click that first one and see what it says. IMHO any of those three version devices should work, YMMV.

-Jeff

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=active&q=ps3+bluetooth+keyboard+compatibility&aq=f&aql=&aqi=&oq=
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Mains- Polk Audio Monitor 70
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Surrounds- Polk Audio TSi 500's :D
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Retired- Polk Audio Monitor 40's
    T.V.- 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000 LCoS
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)
    Polk Audio Monitor 10A's :cool:

It's not that I'm insensitive, I just don't care.. :D
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I just need to use an actual mouse over a touch pad. I'm simply not coordinated enough to use a controller sometimes.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.