possible headache

Jon
Jon Posts: 6
edited October 2003 in Troubleshooting
I recently came across a rt 3000p sub new in box. I set it up and it works fantastically untill there are any very demanding bass passages. At which point the top woofer will produce a small buzzing/crackling sound which seems to be comming from the surface of the woofer. None if the seals seem damaged the lower woofer does not have this problem. Does any one know what might cause this problem, once again the sub is brand new. All help is very much appreciated.

thanks in advance
"It is possible to provide security against other ills, but as far as death is concerned, we men live in a city without walls."
-Epicurus
Post edited by Jon on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    edited October 2003
    Press evenly around the dust cap of the woofer, slightly in, if you hear any rubbing. It is rubbing the voice coil. if no rubbing occurs, then I will leave it to these nuckle heads around here to help you further.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited October 2003
    First, welcome to the Club. Interesting that you found the bass half of an RT3000p.

Overall I think you are just asking a bit much of the bass unit, but can't say for sure why one driver is giving up and not the other. One thing is your report of "demanding bass" and then there's the fact that these were designed to operate in a "stereo" pair.

Ken Swaugger of Polk CS may be able to give you added advice.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Jon
    edited October 2003
    Sorry, to clarify on that its not my LFE, I am using it in line with my center channel, so i can run it full range.
    "It is possible to provide security against other ills, but as far as death is concerned, we men live in a city without walls."
    -Epicurus
  • Tour2ma
    edited October 2003
    No problem...

So you are obviously running your center "large". Are you sure your AVR separates out the LFE from the other bass info?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Jon
    edited October 2003
    Actually im not i have an onkyo 575x currently, I will have to check that out, Thanks

additional information: it appears to be volume independant. I can turn the volume up and it does it as it would at one half volume.

Could it be an air leak?

**I have been playing it for about a hour and its doing it consistently now, its a distinct buzzing noise only in one of the woofers.
    -Epicurus
  • Tour2ma
    edited October 2003
    If it's degenerating, and it sounds like it is. Try the test Sid (Vr3) suggested above.

Need to have no signal going to woofer during test. Compare the good for the bad for resistance and noise when you push gently on them. Push on the outer edge of the cone, just inside the surround, with thumb and fingers of one hand spread evenly around the perimeter.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• Jon
    edited October 2003
    the good one seems to be offering a different amount of resistance
    -Epicurus
  • Tour2ma
    edited October 2003
    Less resistance? or more?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• Jon
    edited October 2003
    it appears to be less resistance
    -Epicurus
  • Tour2ma
    edited October 2003
    OK, that fits. Would appear that the bad one is dragging probably due to the voice coil separating. Next move will be to contact Polk CS to verify and order a replacement...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• Jon
    edited October 2003
    Thank you for all the help Tour2ma, i really do appreciate it.
    -Epicurus
  • Tour2ma
    edited October 2003
    You're welcome and please post resolution of the issue. It's always nice to read how a problem is finally resolved...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli