Audio RCA interconnect cables > Don't want Monster > Alternatives?

Turbota
Turbota Posts: 255
The more I read about Monster audio interconnect cables, the more I would like to buy something else.

What I really need are a couple of short 1/2 meter (1.6 feet)length RCA patch cords to connect components in my audio rack. And then a 2 meter (6.6 feet) RCA patch cord to connect the Pioneer Spec 1 pre-amp to my powered sub.

Other than Monster RCA cables, such as the "Interlink 400 Mk II Stereo interconnect cable", it seems like the only cables avail are either those super cheap ones like what comes packaged with new audio components or those "Audiophile" type that cost upwards of $100 for a 1 meter length.

Any recommendations for something in the price range of Monsters?:

IE: Monster .. Interlink 400 Mk II Stereo RCA interconnect cables
1/2 meter (1.6 feet), $34.99
2 meter (6.6 feet), $49.99

Ron,
2-Channel Audio
Onkyo ... A-9050 . . .Integrated Amp. (Power Amp Section not Used)
Onkyo ... M-282 . ... Power Amps .(Pair)
Onkyo ... C-7030 . _.CD Player
Polk . . *. RTi A7 - ....Front Speakers
Polk . . *. RTi A3 - ....Rear Speakers
Post edited by Turbota on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited October 2003
    Signal can custom terminate almost any length you wish. They are priced nicely, and outperform Monster Cable IMO.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited October 2003
    Ron,
    seconded's doro recommendation. Signal cable analog two is very revealing and solid product. Comparable if not better than Monster M550i, and custom terminated. I have half of dozen pairs of these superb I/Cs. Give it a try..
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Turbota
    edited October 2003
    Folks ... Thanks so much for the recommendation. I guess those Signal RCA cables would work well going to the Rava powered-subwoofer too.

I see some RCA type interconnect cables that are made specifically for a powered-subwoofer, but they are always just 1 cable with just 1 RCA connector on each end. I can't understand how that cable would be used. I need a double RCA cable (patch cord) with 2 RCA connectors on each end (one for the + and one for the -) of the subwoofer.

Confused ... :confused:
    Ron
    2-Channel Audio
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2003
    Here here for Signal Cable.

Another GREAT deal right now is the MIT Terminator 5 at audioadvisor.com - $25/pair for 1 meter , and <$40/pair for 12ft. Free shipping, great cables.

The pos/neg signal is carried on a SINGLE Rca patch cable. I forget which is which, but the outside connector is neg/ inside pin is pos (or vice versa).

You are running TWO patch cables to get both the LEFT and RIGHT signals from your stereo (2ch) preamp.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited October 2003
    You may use the single terminated end for connection to a subwoofer, its not wrong. Pick up a Y-Adapter, and then you may use both L/R inputs on the subwoofer.

I believe that it gives you a 3db increase in signal....anyone care to confirm or add to that comment? I use a Y-Adapter with a single sub cable run.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Turbota
    edited October 2003
    Well, the reason I brought this up is that since the pre-amp is a late 70s model, there are 2 RCA connectors in the back (+ and -) for the line level output to the powered sub.

Might as well just get the RCA patch cord that contains 2 wires and 2 RCA connectors on each end and use that to connect to the powered subwoofer's + - line level input RCA terminals.
  • polkatese
    edited October 2003
    it serves the same purpose as what doro is sayin'. A Y adapter (1 male to 2 female ends) from your preamp will allow you to run one RCA patch to sub and another one to your power amp. If you can find a patch RCA with two RCAs on one end*, then it's better, but I am not sure if anybody makes them. You can actually talk to Frank Dai (owner of Signal Cable) and I am sure he will be able to custom terminated these for you.

edit: * sorry, I meant 1 patch cord, one end RCA, the other end 2 RCAs
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Turbota
    edited October 2003
    I was just looking at something like this:

h218ARX610.jpeg

But, I see that it's actually 2 separate wires. I guess the patch cords I was thinking of have 2 separate wires, but they are bonded between the two and then separated at the ends into 2 distinct wires. You see alot of the cheap RCA cables that come with a new component made like that.
    2-Channel Audio
  • Turbota
    edited October 2003
    polketese ...

So, if I connected the 2 male ends of this into the + - of the pre-amp, I could run one of those single RCA subwoofer cables directly to the RAVA.

h119iHPY1F.jpeg

I guess the Rava would have a line level input for a [single] RCA cable hookup so I would not need another one of these Y connectors on the other end going into the sub?

Subcable.jpg

Signal Cable subwoofer interconnect
  • polkatese
    edited October 2003
    Ron, actually I am thinking of male/2 female RCA adapter. You need two of them. One male goes to left (-ve) preamp output. Run SC sub patch to your RAVA from one of the female and the other female, run a patch of regular SC Analog one/two to your power amp.

edit: you're right, depending of your sub config (I am not familiar with RAVA sub), you do not need to do the second adapter, just use the left channel only.

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2003
    Polkaplease,

He has TWO sets of preouts on his preamp. He doesn't need to split the signal to hit his power amp and sub amp.

He can use the 'y' if he wants to combine the L/R chs and send them to his sub, as he posted.

Cheers
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Turbota
    edited October 2003
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    Polkaplease,

He has TWO sets of preouts on his preamp. He doesn't need to split the signal to hit his power amp and sub amp.

He can use the 'y' if he wants to combine the L/R chs and send them to his sub, as he posted.

Cheers
    Russ

Russ is right. My pre-amp has 2 sets of RCA [output line level]connectors (one set of #1, and one set of #2). One of these two sets must be connected to the power-amp, so the other is not used. I would like the set not used just to send the non-amplified signal to the powered subs.
    2-Channel Audio
  • polkatese
    edited October 2003
    oops, I've been smoking again, just read those small detail, carry on, Ron...sorry for the confusion..