bi-wiring > Do ALL the speakers need to be bi-wired?

Options
Turbota
Turbota Posts: 255
Here is another question from this stereo illiterate guy:

I keep reading that bi-wiring speakers [may] make for better sound.

Well my 150w/channel Pioneer Spec 4 power amp will be powering a front set of RTi70s and a rear set of RTi38s. This is an audio only setup.

1. If I bi-wire this setup, do I need to bi-wire both the front and rear speakers, or just the front pair?

2. Your honest opinion: Do you really think it will be worth the effort to my 'non-audiophile' ears?

P.S. > I guess it would not be practical to attempt to bi-wire the Rava powered-subwoofer. It's getting connected via RCA patch cords from the pre-amp.

Thanks,
Ron
2-Channel Audio
Onkyo ... A-9050 . . .Integrated Amp. (Power Amp Section not Used)
Onkyo ... M-282 . ... Power Amps .(Pair)
Onkyo ... C-7030 . _.CD Player
Polk . . *. RTi A7 - ....Front Speakers
Polk . . *. RTi A3 - ....Rear Speakers
Post edited by Turbota on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2003
    Options
    1. You don't *need* to do any, you can do all if you so desire. Do the 38's even allow it?

2. Only you can answer this question, some claim night and day results, some feel it's minimal - but worth it, some will say it's a waste of $.

An easy (and cheap) tweak is to replace the factory jumpers on your 70's with a short run of speaker wire.

PS> Bi-wiring doesn't apply here, run your patch cord, done.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited October 2003
    Options
    No, the RTi38's cannot be bi-wired.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, You may or may not notice any difference at all. Don't go out and spend an arm and a leg on wire just becuse it might sound better than a standard wire configuration. Start small (Cheap) and see if you notice any improvement. If you do, then by all means clean out the piggy bank, if you don't...well then you can spend your money on other things.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Turbota

2. Your honest opinion: Do you really think it will be worth the effort to my 'non-audiophile' ears?

Thanks,
    Ron

Nope, IMHO; however, it is fun tinkering with your setup and doing your own comparisons. At least you can say you did it and let us know what you think.

HBomb.
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Turbota
    Turbota Posts: 255
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I really appreciate your replies.

Just for your info: You may notice I post questions on how to wire my components up, but don't seem to just try something and see how it works.

The fact of the matter is: I have 1 month to retirement, and will then be moving from Alabama to Phoenix, AZ. I basically just pulled the old Pioneer amps out of storage and just ordered the Polk speakers. The speakers were sent to Phoenix, so as of now, all these components are scattered all over hell's half acre. Now, I am just attempting to figure out how I need to hook this stuff up and what cables / wires / connectors I need once I get back to Phoenix in a month.

So, thanks for bearing with me .... :)

Ron,
    2-Channel Audio
    Onkyo ... A-9050 . . .Integrated Amp. (Power Amp Section not Used)
    Onkyo ... M-282 . ... Power Amps .(Pair)
    Onkyo ... C-7030 . _.CD Player
    Polk . . *. RTi A7 - ....Front Speakers
    Polk . . *. RTi A3 - ....Rear Speakers
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited October 2003
    Options
    another polkster on the move... lots of activity these days.

relocating sucks.
    good luck!
    HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***