Carver amps with SDA's?

jz0h4d
jz0h4d Posts: 33
edited January 2010 in Vintage Speakers
Are Carver amps compatible with Sda speakers.
In other words can you tie the negative sides of both channels together with Carver amps?
Post edited by jz0h4d on

Comments

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited January 2010
    Is there a particular model you are looking at?
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited January 2010
    The TFM series are a common ground amp and do not require the grounds to be tied together.

I have used 25, 55 and 45 TFM amps on my 1Cs with no issues.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited January 2010
    Sunfires work well also...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Pycroft
    Pycroft Posts: 1,960
    edited January 2010
    I have a TFM 35x wtih my SDA 1C's and it's magic.
    2 Channel/HT:
    Sony SS-M9 P's (ES version)
    Sony SS-M1CN Center Channel
    Polk RT800 Surround Speakers
    Odyssey Stratos Dual Mono Amplifiers
    TAD 150 Signature Tube Preamp
    Harman Kardon HK354
    Sony SACD Player
  • nooshinjohn
    edited January 2010
    Pycroft wrote: »
    I have a TFM 35x wtih my SDA 1C's and it's magic.

I had that same pairing... it is magic to be sure.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    edited January 2010
    Carver and Polk are like peas and carrots as a couple of local polkies told me.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited January 2010
    How about peas and corn, corn and mashed potatoes,mashed potatoes and gravy..:D..I don't know about Carver amps but My Sunfire...

Yes John, my Sunfire is like magic with my SRS2's also.;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    edited January 2010
    corn and mashed potatoes

Dude that rules!!!:cool:
  • Tony M
    edited January 2010
    I love it. add salt and pepper and butter..my kinda comfort food.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited January 2010
    The only Carver that cannot be used with SDA's is the 500/ 500MT (the one with VU meters).
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Tour2ma
    edited January 2010
    Correction... Should be 500/ M500t.

Damned disappearing EDIT buttons...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Tony M
    edited January 2010
    Tour2ma wrote: »
    The only Carver that cannot be used with SDA's is the 500/ 500MT (the one with VU meters).

Not even with the Dreadnaught(?) adaptor?
  • OldmanSRS
    OldmanSRS Posts: 418
    edited January 2010
    Carver TFM-35 and 1.0T both work very well for SRS1.2's. Either one alone has plenty of power to drive them very hard.
    '65 427 Shelby Cobra
    '72 Triumph TR-6
    '05 HSU VTF-3 Sub (Original OEM)
    '20 HSU VTF-3 Sub (three more, 100% cloned)
    '93 Carver TFM-35
    '88 Carver M-1.0t
    '88 Adcom GFT-555
    '88 Adcom GFP-555
    '88 Adcom GFA-555 (upgraded/restored)
    '88 Adcom GFA-555 (a second one upgraded/restored)
    '05 Onkyo DV-555 media
    '89 Fosgate 360 Digital Space Matrix
    '89 Fosgate 360 Digital Space Matrix, internal surround amp bridged to drive only a center channel
    '91 Kenwood Basic M1D Amp
    '89 Pioneer Laser Disc media
    '89 Sony SuperBeta HiFi media
    One PGA2310 based custom built remote volume control
    Four Polk T-15's
    Two Polk TSi-200's
    Two Polk TSi-100's
    Two Polk CS-10's

• thuffman03
    thuffman03 Posts: 1,325
    edited January 2010
    Tour2ma wrote: »

You left out a few....Silver 7t, Silver 9t, TFM 75

There might be more but those are the ones that I know of that are not common ground. The Silver 7 and 9 are mono block and the TFM 75 is a mono block design in one box. It has two power cords.
    Sunfire TGP, Sunfire Cinema Grand, Sunfire 300~2 (2), Sunfire True Sub (2),Carver ALS Platinum, Carver AL III, TFM-55, C-19, C-9, TX-8, SDA-490t, SDA-390t
  • BB3
    BB3 Posts: 297
    edited January 2010
    I thought using 2 of either TFM-25's or 35's bi-amped were fantastic, but then I decided to put 2 TFM-55's on my SDA's and now I'm speechless with the results.

BILL(BB3)
    Sony 52in.XBR6
    Sony 32in.XBR6
    Anthem AVM50V
    Anthem PRE-2L
    Sonic Frontiers SFCD-1
    Carver C-9
    Carver C-19 PreAmp
    Carver C-16 PreAmp
    2-Carver Silver 7-T's
    4-Carver TFM55's
    2-Carver TFM35's
    1-Carver TFM25
    Carver 490T
    Denon DCD1560
    Sony BDP-S350
    Sony PS3
    Nintendo Wii
    Panasonic DMK23DVR

Speakers :

PolkAudio SDA-SRS
    PolkAudio SDA-SRS 1.2TL
    PolkAudio SDA-CRS+(Compliments Of Mr. Jim Thomas"jtgranby")
    PolkAudio RTA-15TL
    PolkAudio M3
    3-Velodyne F-1500's
  • BAD ASP
    BAD ASP Posts: 361
    edited January 2010
    I can speak to the Sunfire Sig and modded 1.2's. I don't know any better but my rig sounds fantastic to me and any of the folks who come by. I had the speakers originally on a Denon 5700 with 140wpc and I thought that sounded pretty nice, but the Sunfires really opened them up. Thumbs up on the Sunfires.
    Home Theater
    Amp: sunfire cinema grand signature 5ch 425 wpc
    Side surround amp: Sunfire 2 X 300
    Processor: sunfire theater grand V
    Fronts:: polk sda-srs 1.2
    Rears: Polk LSiFX
    Side surrounds: Fxi5
    Center: (2)polk LSiC's
    Sub: svs pb-13 rosenut
    Hd-Dvd: toshiba xa-2
    Blue Ray: oppo bdp83se
    Projector: sony vw60
    Screen: Da-Lite 106"
    APC S20 Power conditioner
  • bsoko2
    bsoko2 Posts: 1,449
    edited January 2010
    I'm driving my 2.3TL's with Carver M1.5t. One Carver to each speaker and use the Dreadnaught interconnect.

Bill
  • Paden501
    Paden501 Posts: 286
    edited January 2010
    thuffman03 wrote: »

There might be more but those are the ones that I know of that are not common ground. The Silver 7 and 9 are mono block and the TFM 75 is a mono block design in one box. It has two power cords.

To add to Thuffman's list:

Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading that the TFM-6CB can be used on SDA's (although they're a little light on power) but they SHOULD NOT BE DAISY-CHAINED!

I've never tried this, so this isn't first hand info. Just what I've read somewhere (I can't even remember where now).
    ~Matt

My System

Front L/R: Definitive BP10Bs
    Surrounds -Polk Audio Monitor 4As
    Preamp: B&K Reference 20
    CD: Jolida JD100a
    L/R Amp: Carver TFM-24
    Turntable: Pioneer PL-516 W/ Shure M97xe
    TV: Sony 52" XBR9
  • Pauly
    Pauly Posts: 4,519
    edited January 2010
    Miss my Carver/SDA pair up

Effing ex-wife.....

Enjoy

Pauly
    Life without music would
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,650
    edited January 2010
    I'm running 3.1TL's with M4.0t Sweet sounding. Sounds like Carver and Polk SDA's were made for each other.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    edited January 2010
    Another very happy carver-polk user here. A tfm45 and 2.3s is a fantastic sounding combination.
  • Backtothe80s
    Backtothe80s Posts: 45
    edited January 2010
    Another very satisfied Carver/Polk user here. TFM-55x and SRS2s seem to be a great combo. I'm looking for another TFM-55 if anyone knows of one.
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited January 2010
    The TFM-45 being sold by thsmith in the FM is a great deal. Serious upgrades!!;)
  • Fongolio
    Fongolio Posts: 3,516
    edited January 2010
    My Carver TFM-25 works with my SDA 1C's like Spencer Tracy worked with Katherine Hepburn. They were made for each other.
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-55
    NAD 1130 Pre-amp
    Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
    The Clamp
    Revox A77 Mk IV Dolby reel to reel
    Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
    Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
    Rotel RCD-855 with modified tube output stage
    Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    edited January 2010
    I glad to see so many like the Carver amps. A few months ago I asked a question about My SDA 1 signatures and my SDA 2B's and was told on the forum that my TFM 45's would not be enough power for my Polks that I would need to upgrade to more power. I love my Carver SDA combination. Although I am curious as to the ability to run two TFM 45's in mono to each speaker as i was told by many this would be a no go.
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited January 2010
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I glad to see so many like the Carver amps. A few months ago I asked a question about My SDA 1 signatures and my SDA 2B's and was told on the forum that my TFM 45's would not be enough power for my Polks that I would need to upgrade to more power. I love my Carver SDA combination. Although I am curious as to the ability to run two TFM 45's in mono to each speaker as i was told by many this would be a no go.

Wow, I am suprised if you were told that here. first off to run any mono block would need a dreadknought or what ever it is called unless you could strap the grounds of the the 45s together.

Anyway, I have a 45 that ran my SDA1Cs with more than enough headroom. In most cases I could never use more than 80wpc.

I am running my 1Cs with 40wpc tube amp now and no issues with power.

I could see where a 45 might not be the perfect amp for 1.2TLs but I do think it would drive them well enough.

Okay I found what I think you mis-interpreted at http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1171166&postcount=19

Your poly switches are old and premature tripping. It is not an amp problem. Not sure how you got what you said people told you. In your case I do not recommend removing the poly switches but call Polk for new ones.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • SDA SRS 1.2
    SDA SRS 1.2 Posts: 255
    edited January 2010
    Ran a TFM-45 with my 1.2's for 12 years and they worked well together, rarely running out of power. That said, there was a noticeable improvement upgrading to the Sunfire Signature Two. Carver/Sunfire/Polk is a great combo.
    Main System: Polk SDA SRS 1.2 Speakers, Sunfire Signature 600~two Amp, Carver C-16 Preamp, Carver TX-11b Tuner, Marantz 6350Q TT, Philips CDR-775 Recorder, Teac V-707RX Cassette Deck, Signal Cable Double Run Speaker Cable

Upstairs Den: Marantz 2325 Receiver, Marantz 5220 Cassette Deck, Marantz HD-880 Speakers, Marantz 6370Q TT

Exercise (Kabuki speaker) Room: Kenwood KR-9600 Receiver, Pioneer CS-99a Speakers, Sansui SP-X9000 Speakers (not pretty, but LOUD! :) )
  • nooshinjohn
    edited January 2010
    For to drive my SDA-SRS i use 2 Kenwood KM-208 (biamp). The last year i used 1 carver 2x250w hifi model i don't remenber, sound good but very low input volume. After i used 2 nad2400 thx on 4 ohm for to drive them, believe me, the sound was awfull, like crap pro-amp, no spacial effect, no open and warm sound!!!!! then, i use a lot off KENWOOD KM-209,KM-208 for all my home theater setup and the sound is clean, open, warm and i have no headhache at all!! NOW i am AFRAID to spend 1 grand on a mutichannel amp like emotiva.. Realy i don't understand?

^^^I don't understand either???

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited January 2010
    For to drive my SDA-SRS i use 2 Kenwood KM-208 (biamp). The last year i used 1 carver 2x250w hifi model i don't remenber, sound good but very low input volume. After i used 2 nad2400 thx on 4 ohm for to drive them, believe me, the sound was awfull, like crap pro-amp, no spacial effect, no open and warm sound!!!!! then, i use a lot off KENWOOD KM-209,KM-208 for all my home theater setup and the sound is clean, open, warm and i have no headhache at all!! NOW i am AFRAID to spend 1 grand on a mutichannel amp like emotiva.. Realy i don't understand?

I used the free edition of Babylon for this translation....

"I use a pair of Kenwood KM-208 to drive my SDA-SRS. Carver sucked, bi-amped NAD sucked. I still use a bunch of vintage Kenwood for some reason and I'm horrified of new technology."

What don't you understand Supercricri? If you're happy, stick with what you have as it sounds kinda neat.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Tour2ma
    edited January 2010
    Not even with the Dreadnaught(?) adaptor?
    I've been AWOL for a couple years, so excuse me if I'm not up on the new lingo, but I assume that by Dreadnaught you mean the Al-1 connector... The Al-1 eliminates amp ground design considerations.
    thuffman03 wrote: »
    I didn't even think about the mono-block Carvers. The Silvers can be strapped to work with SDA’s and the stock interconnect. Not sure about the TFM 75, but I’d bet it’s strap-able as well.

I don't know the TFM-6CB mentioned above...
    dorokusai wrote: »
    I used the free edition of Babylon for this translation....
    ROFL... That hurt me.... Something says Berlitz Eastern Rim might also work.

Couple thoughts on the general thread theme developing...
    I spent many happy years with my M-1.5t/ SDA-SRS combo. Then my 1.5 had to go in for repair (Carver Corp was still in the repair biz back then). The repair price included updating my original series 1.5 to the third and final series version. The improvement was startling.... smoother... more open... more detailed.... The experience opened my ears to other possibilities. Then this place blew the lid off...

Bottom line.... The Carver - SDA combo is good, no doubt about it, and ranks well on any value scale, but there is better. So when you can, as you can afford to, look for better.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli