Carver amps with SDA's?

Options
2»

Comments

• allstock
    allstock Posts: 136
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I've got a set of sda srs 1.2tl's I've recently become "reinterested" in. I'm currantly running them with a Denon avr 5800. I'm going to try them in the following combo's.
    1) 5800 as pre with a Carver 753x
    2) Bryston b-1 with Carver
    3)Just for fun, a harmon/kardon avr 30 alone
    4) h/k with carver, again,just for fun
    I seem to have lots of gear around, I'll post results.
    Two Channel-SDA SRS 1.2tl's,modded, Cambridge Audio 851w amps(2),Cambridge 851e pre, VPI Scout 1.1 tt, Moon audio phono pre,oppo bd105.
    HT-Denon avr3808ci,Carver a-753x,Panasonic ae4000 projector,120" screen,ps3,wii console w/full rockband,Panamax conditioner,dbx120 subharmonic synthesizer,jvc dvd-a player, Polk RTi12 mains,Polk CSiA6 centre, Energy ES-18xl sub,two custom 10" powered subs, Def Tech bp2x surrounds(4),Paradigm monitors-rear(2)
  • 2-tall
    2-tall Posts: 98
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I have had two tfm 24's and tfm 35's on my 3.1 tl's.Slight difference between the two setups but the sound is great
  • 2-tall
    2-tall Posts: 98
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I forgot to add I now have the tfm24's on my Carver AL111's and the Tfm35 on my 3.1TL's.The AL111's could still use more power.
  • PolkClyde
    PolkClyde Posts: 662
    Options
    ben62670 wrote: »
    Is there a particular model you are looking at?

I just got my Carver silver 7t mono block amps chassis refresh from Rolland Barr... he said that it is safe for me to used them without the negative terminals' tied together... I have the Polk 1.2 SDAs... what's you opinion?
    PolkAudioClyde
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,588
    Options
    Rolland is good folk but I think he missed the bus on this one. This may work IF you DO NOT use the SDA cable. IF you have an A1 isolation cable that would be a plus and allow the use of mono blocks,

I'll let those who know more chime in as there were some SDA's Blade/Blade cable that was not compatible at all and IF I remember correctly some of the Pin/blade were also not compatible as well.

Rolland is magical with all things carver.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    Options
    PolkClyde wrote: »
    I just got my Carver silver 7t mono block amps chassis refresh from Rolland Barr... he said that it is safe for me to used them without the negative terminals' tied together... I have the Polk 1.2 SDAs... what's you opinion?

Absolutely not.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Options
    Breezed through this thread, I don't recall anyone warning against the early-version of the M1.0 which is inverting, and cannot be made common-ground.

Very similar to the M500 series. Inverting one channel makes life easier for the power supply, and makes it easy to bridge--but also makes them incompatible with SDA speakers unless those speakers are new enough to allow the isolation transformer in the SDA cable.

Later version of the M1.0 is not inverting, could be used to power SDAs without an isolation transformer in the SDA interconnect.
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    Options
    TFM-25, was my original amp used with the 2.3tls, they were bought new at the same time
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • helipilotdoug
    Options
    IMHO most Carver and Sunfire amps are Fantastic with Vintage Polk speakers. I have run setups with Carver TFM-45, TFM-55, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature, and 300 X 2. Speakers I've used them with are theMonitor 10A's, SDA 2A's, SDA 2B's and SRS 2's. I did try the TFM-6CB with the Monitor 10's and it sounded good but did not have the power to really crank up the volume.
    Sunfire Theater Grand IV
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature
    SRS 2.1TL
    SDA 2BTL's
    CSiA6
    FXiA4
    FXiA6
    SDA 2A's
    Monitor 10A's

http://www.douglasconnection.com