Monitor 10 SDA-2A conversion

TNTsTunes
TNTsTunes Posts: 751
edited January 2010 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I have a pair of Monitor 10 speakers that I'm converting to SDA's. The plan is to do the needed cabinet modifications to seperate the drivers, add damping and use some SDA-2A's crossovers. They have the same 10" passive radiators that CRS's use.

These will be my rear speakers. Monitor 10's fit perfect and should sound great with the SDA conversion.

I plan on doing A-B testing with the un-modded Monitor 10 and a pair of SDA-2A's I also have. Pictures will be taking and I will be updating this thread with progress and results.

Any input would be great.

"Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

Post edited by TNTsTunes on

Comments

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited January 2010
    Sell your monitor 10 and get SDA'2s if you want SDA's, but using them as rears is so room dependent that in 90%+ of the cases you would be better off with monitors as the rears. Also you would be better of with a single CRS as a center.
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • TNTsTunes
    edited January 2010
    ben62670 wrote: »
    Sell your monitor 10 and get SDA'2s if you want SDA's, but using them as rears is so room dependent that in 90%+ of the cases you would be better off with monitors as the rears. Also you would be better of with a single CRS as a center.
    Ben

My room is 24' x24' garage and all of my speakers are shelf mounted since thats the only place left for them. I have SDA-2's, SDA-2A's, SDA-2B's, SDA-1C's and SDA-CRS's. SDA's are too large, I can just fit model 10's in but did try my SDA-2A's and they blended in much better. I figure since I have a spare SDA-2A crossovers and the matching drivers. It would be an improved hybred Moniter 10 SDA.

Why would be better off with one CRS? I tryed the CRS's out with one speaker or two and two sounded much better and balanced. They have the SDA crossover set-up to drive both drivers in phase also. There is no need for the SDA feature and the speakers blend seemlessly with the rest of the front channel. They have the best soundstage I have found. I have been trying combos for weeks and the CRS's sound better then my Monitor 5's or my Polk CS350LS center speaker.

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited January 2010
    You do know that SDA-2As have a 12" passive radiator and a totally different cabinet structure?

I agree with Ben..just buy some real SDAs and work on those!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • TNTsTunes
    edited January 2010
    cnh wrote: »
    You do know that SDA-2As have a 12" passive radiator and a totally different cabinet structure?

I agree with Ben..just buy some real SDAs and work on those!

cnh

NO $HIT... :) I have a bunch of SDA speakers and parts for them...

I own a pair of each of the following speakers SDA-2's, SDA-2A's, SDA-2B's, SDA-CRS's and a pair of SDA-1C's right now.... Why buy more????

Did you know that 2B's and CRS+'s use the same cross-overs. I have the same passive radiators as a CRS uses. The main cabinet differences is the divided midbass drivers in the cabinet. The cabinet volume should be just fine.

I would have to shorten a SDA by about a foot in height to use it.

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited January 2010
    No offense meant...if you're someone who likes to work on projects of this kind for whatever reasons....more power to you.

But I'm baffled more than ever now that you list all the SDAs you own..why bother--don't you want to own a pair of vintage Monitor 10s in addition?

In any case...have fun with the remodel...

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited January 2010
    Got any pics of your setup?
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited January 2010
    What a waste of time.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    edited January 2010
    I was going to ask what happened to your other set of 1C's but I see they are on Ebay.

I wouldn't do anything to the 10's but, hey, if you like doing this sort of thing.
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • TNTsTunes
    edited January 2010
    smglbrth wrote: »
    I was going to ask what happened to your other set of 1C's but I see they are on Ebay.

I wouldn't do anything to the 10's but, hey, if you like doing this sort of thing.

I have enother pair also. I'll sell the listed 1C's local to a forum member for $400.00 cash.

• Pauly
    Pauly Posts: 4,519
    edited January 2010
    Almost seems like a waste of M10's IMHO

Good Luck!

Pauly
    Life without music would
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited January 2010
    TNTsTunes wrote: »
    I have enother pair also. I'll sell the listed 1C's local to a forum member for $400.00 cash.

You do realize the baffle is different for SDA's vs. Monitors? There is a 5-7* pitch towards the listener; not sure if the drivers are mounted the exact same way in the M10's. The height will be way off unless you put them on stands. The spacing of the reg and dim driver will be different. The pitch and spacing are very important to get the proper SDA properties.

It seems like a lot if work for nothing when you have many SDA's and others are plentiful. But they are your speakers and parts. It's a total waste of a good pair of M10's.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!