Any interest in a DFW Area gathering?

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2009
    I'm in for the 23rd. I'll have some quirky stuff to bring that you guys may find interesting.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Gadabout
    Gadabout Posts: 1,072
    edited December 2009
    Wardsweb wrote: »
    If you're looking that far out, hell I could even make it from San Antonio. .....

Since it appeared that most folks found it easier to make it to a gathering in Janauary, I decided to give it as much time as I could. Couple folks from Oklahoma and Mississippi had said they might be interested in a road trip.

I was also hoping it would give the folks from San Antonio, Austin and Houston some time to plan if they wanted to come too.

Hope you can make it,
    Scott
    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid. ..... Frank Zappa
  • Gadabout
    edited December 2009
    Very cool Russ,

Now I have 6 weeks to wonder what quirkey stuff is :)
    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid. ..... Frank Zappa
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited December 2009
    Gadabout, what part of DFW do you live in ?
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • Gadabout
    edited December 2009
    Weatherford actually - 76086 - Gonna be a bit of a drive for most of you
  • thsmith
    edited December 2009
    Not a problem for me. I know someone who lives close to the dirt track over there.

In Texas get use to 60 mile drive just to get a beer. Thats nothing.

If you need any help let me know.
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,394
    edited December 2009
    1.23.10 would be great. Was there a member in Dallas that modded the LSI's? Be awesome to hear differences in it.

Halen
  • vc69
    vc69 Posts: 2,500
    edited December 2009
    I'm solid for the 23rd. I'm really looking forward to meeting you guys.

Russ, any chance you will be able to transport the VTI rack to meetup?
    -Kevin
    HT: Philips 52PFL7432D 52" LCD 1080p / Onkyo TX-SR 606 / Oppo BDP-83 SE / Comcast cable. (all HDMI)B&W 801 - Front, Polk CS350 LS - Center, Polk LS90 - Rear
    2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Squeezebox Touch
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    B&W 801's
    Transparent IC's
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited December 2009
    Count me in as well. I can bring anything in my sig, the Rainmakers may be a ncie change of pace if nobody has heard them.

My wife's parents are just on the other side of Weatherfordd, so that works well for a trip out there as well - I won't be bringing her to this meetup though, I'll be flying solo.
  • Gadabout
    edited December 2009
    Never heard any of the Totem line. From all the threads and information I have read on them it would seem I am missing out.

Would be great if you wouldn't mind bringing the rainmakers.

Scott
  • Gadabout
    edited December 2009
    For the folks that are coming, would mind bringing your CD's that you normally use to demo stereos? I'd love to hear what you use.

Plus anything else you think the folks might be interested in hearing

Scott
  • thsmith
    edited December 2009
    Scott, I have a couple I use after making a tweak or changing tubes for sound differences.

DO you plan on spinning any vinyl ?
  • vc69
    edited December 2009
    I was planning on bringing a couple of things. I'm getting my BDP-83 upgraded to SE and it should be burnt in by then. If you want, I'll bring it along with some discs.
    -Kevin
    HT: Philips 52PFL7432D 52" LCD 1080p / Onkyo TX-SR 606 / Oppo BDP-83 SE / Comcast cable. (all HDMI)B&W 801 - Front, Polk CS350 LS - Center, Polk LS90 - Rear
    2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Squeezebox Touch
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    B&W 801's
    Transparent IC's
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited December 2009
    i can bring a few SACDs and a player if there's not gonna be another SACD player in the house
  • Gadabout
    edited December 2009
    The Marantz in the 2ch system is an SACD player. The Sony in the HT is the CES2000 (same as yours). Your also welcome to bring another if you want to see what differences there might be.

As far as spinning some vinyl, I don't have a turntable. :\

I'm using a TVC (Transformer Volume Control) as a Preamp in the 2 ch system and I'm unsure if would work as a TT preamp.

Your welcome to bring a preamp (unless the TVC would work), TT and vinyl. I'd never ask someone to transport something that delicate, but would love to hear one sometime.

Scott
  • fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited January 2010
    Is this a go for the 23rd, cancelled, or rescheduled?
  • Gadabout
    edited January 2010
    Far as I'm concerned, it's still the 23rd....

I'm going to wait a bit longer to send out address and phone information. This weekend, I was going to ask for folks for a confirmation if they were coming. Just to get a ballpark idea of how many folks were planning on coming and also for a list to PM the address and phone info.

Scott
  • vc69
    edited January 2010
    I am still in. I am planning to pick up a VTI rack I bought from RussMan on the trip.
    -Kevin
    2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Squeezebox Touch
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    B&W 801's
    Transparent IC's
  • Wardsweb
    Wardsweb Posts: 899
    edited January 2010
    I'll be driving up from San Antonio. I plan on bringing a few pieces that are easy to transport: Bottlehead Quickie battery powered tube preamp, Winsome Labs T-class Mouse amp, DIY LM3875 chip amp and maybe my custom Bottlehead 6DN7 amp.
  • vc69
    edited January 2010
    ^^^ That kinda gives me a woody. :)
    -Kevin
    2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Squeezebox Touch
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    B&W 801's
    Transparent IC's
  • Gadabout
    edited January 2010
    Sweet....

Looking forward to hearing some tubes....

especially since all my stuff is SS

Scott
  • greg2350
    greg2350 Posts: 544
    edited January 2010
    Im still up for it will bring my Rotel amp 960BX that pops fuses when turned on. will give away for free for whoever wants to see if it can be fixed.:)
    TV: Philips 42" LCD 1080p
    Front Speakers: Polk Audio RT800i
    Center Speaker: Polk Audio CS1
    Surround Speakers: Polk Audio R50's powered of Denon AVR
    Subwoofer: Polk Audio DSW pro500
    AVR: Denon 3801
    DVD Player: Denon DVM 745 upscale 1080p
    Sat: Directtv HD 10
    Front Speakers Amp: Rotel RB 890
    Center Speaker amp: Rotel 970 BX
  • Wardsweb
    Wardsweb Posts: 899
    edited January 2010
    Scott what speakers do you have? I was thinking I might bring some small ones to roll in with other gear. Then again, are you looking more for just listening to music or trying different things to learn what's out there?
  • RuSsMaN
    edited January 2010
    Scott has a pair of EZ as Pie (the Red ones from my Bottlehead meet that I got from Fred), and a pair of Audes Soul - which are fairly efficient also, around 92db iirc.

Just bring it all, I'm going to bring some efficient quirky DIY stuff I've built from spare parts around here. Maybe Scott can have one rig/area setup where we can swap gear in and out......
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Gadabout
    edited January 2010
    Yepp.... bring it all. I'm certainly interested in hearing whats out there.

I also have a pair LSi7's that are in the bedroom. In boxes, in the garage (not in use) I have.
    - an old Pair of JBL's or JVC's (I forget) but they have 15" woofers in them.
    - a pair of Blose 301's.

Russ, are you bringing the VTI rack with you for VC69? The one thing I'm short on is rack space.

It's no big deal, if your not. The Stereo in the guest bedroom is kind of a hodge podge of stuff that I have left over.
    - EZ as Pi Speakers
    - Sonance Amp
    - Onkyo Pre
    - Rotel CD player.

We can easily use that rack for swapping components.

Scott
  • Gadabout
    edited January 2010
    greg2350 wrote: »
    Im still up for it will bring my Rotel amp 960BX that pops fuses when turned on. will give away for free for whoever wants to see if it can be fixed.:)

Greg,

While I don't have any components for replacement in an amp, I do have plenty of solder equipment and some volt meters. No reason we can't pop the hood and give it a look. Who knows the collective might be able to come up with a solution.

Scott
  • vc69
    edited January 2010
    Gadabout wrote: »
    Russ, are you bringing the VTI rack with you for VC69? The one thing I'm short on is rack space.

Scott

I believe he is bringing it. That is the game plan. However, I don't know how late I will be able to hang. Still not sure if I'm driving back to Jackson and I may be at the mercy of a friend I am traveling with. He (Russ) had another rack he may have sold. But as long as I am there, you are welcome to use the VTI.

I'm really looking forward to coming over and meeting some of you guys and hearing some toobs :)
    -Kevin
    2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Squeezebox Touch
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    B&W 801's
    Transparent IC's
  • greg2350
    greg2350 Posts: 544
    edited January 2010
    Gadabout wrote: »
    Greg,

While I don't have any components for replacement in an amp, I do have plenty of solder equipment and some volt meters. No reason we can't pop the hood and give it a look. Who knows the collective might be able to come up with a solution.

Scott

Thanks scott that would be cool if it can be fixed. Like I stated its free for whoever wants it im not trying to get it fixed for free. When it did work I had it hooked up to my surrounds R50's. I moved to another place and when I hooked it back up it would pop the fuses both of them. I hooked the surrounds up to my Denon and I cant tell the difference in SQ. I do know a little about electronics and the left side rectifier had an open short I ordered a replacement part and it still pops both fuses when I power it on. If you want it its yours if your coming to the gathering I will bring it for you. Again thanks for the help.:)
    TV: Philips 42" LCD 1080p
    Front Speakers: Polk Audio RT800i
    Center Speaker: Polk Audio CS1
    Surround Speakers: Polk Audio R50's powered of Denon AVR
    Subwoofer: Polk Audio DSW pro500
    AVR: Denon 3801
    DVD Player: Denon DVM 745 upscale 1080p
    Sat: Directtv HD 10
    Front Speakers Amp: Rotel RB 890
    Center Speaker amp: Rotel 970 BX
  • RuSsMaN
    edited January 2010
    I'll make sure you are 'racked' up Scott, no issues - I'm bringing the 4 shelf already, I'll bring the other 3 with it.
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited January 2010
    greg2350 wrote: »
    Thanks scott that would be cool if it can be fixed. Like I stated its free for whoever wants it im not trying to get it fixed for free.

Dude, if someone at the meeting gets it fixed, don't feel bad about keeping it. That's how CP works, I believe (and hope).

If none of you have any interest to play with an Audio Analyzer that sells in the 5 digits, I think I'll ride my bike there. If there is interest, let me know so I can bring it.