Canare 4S11 Blue Jeans Speaker Cable

Options
Murray1
Murray1 Posts: 193
Considering purchasing raw cable and doing the terminations myself. I am choosing this cable because my new RTiA5's and CSiA6 are bi-wired speakers. I will be connecting speakers to HK 3600 AVR. Blue Jeans website states canare 4s11 is 14 gauge. Will this gauge wire fit into my speaker binding posts. If not, I am thinking spades for speakers and possibly bananas for receiver. Has anyone already gone thru the process using the same speakers. If so, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Seems like bi wiring is questionable on other threads. I asked Joe Abrahms who sells MIT cables and he recommended bi wire cables since my Polks are bi wired speakers. Are there any special setting I need to make on my receiver for bi wiring speakers. Do I remove jumper plates on speakers if I bi wire. Any help appreciated. Thanks
Post edited by Murray1 on

Comments

• kcoc321
    kcoc321 Posts: 1,788
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Definately remove the jumper plates and No special settings...
    Not even going to enter the debate...

Happy New Year :D
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Or you can run one pair of wires to a pair of binding posts, then a short run from one pair of posts to the other.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • MLZ
    MLZ Posts: 214
    edited January 2010
    Options
    For my 2-channel system, I have RTi8's (predecessor to your RTiA5's) and bi-wired them to my Onkyo A9555 integrated using Canare 4s11 using bananas at the amp and spades at the speakers. I did not hear any difference, but it only cost me extra for 4 spades. I used spades at the speakers because they seemed more secure. I used bananas where the wire went into the side since the Canare is pretty thick.

I did cover my cables with TechFlex, because I thought it looked very good, was inexpensive and easy to do. See http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=94203
  • domflane
    domflane Posts: 653
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I have 12ga bare wired into my RTiA5's, its a little tight, but you can get it in there pretty easy. I wouldn't bother bi-wiring you A5's, i tried it with my Carver AV505 and my HK 354 and didn't really notice a difference. I would however remove the stock jumpers and replace them with better quality cables.
    Home Theater
    RTiA5 - CSiA6 - FXiA6 - PSW650 - Pioneer Elite SC-55 - Carver AV-505 - Sony 46" 120Hz - Monster HP 2400 - Xbox 360 - Playstation 3
    2 Channel
    Polk RTA 15TL - Harman Kardon HK3485 - HK DVD48 - Signal Cable IC's and speaker cables
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,095
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I am using this cable and am quite pleased with it versus the Monster cable it replaced.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Murray1
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I am using this cable and am quite pleased with it versus the Monster cable it replaced.

What cable would that be sir.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Canare 4S11 Blue Jeans Speaker Cable...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Murray1
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Canare 4S11 Blue Jeans Speaker Cable...

Thanks, Can you remember if the 14 gauge fits the CSiA6 binding post directly(no bananas or spades).
  • nooshinjohn
    edited January 2010
    Options
    yes it will, but I use spades on mine anyway.

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Face wrote: »
    Or you can run one pair of wires to a pair of binding posts, then a short run from one pair of posts to the other.

Isn't that usually called a 'jumper'? If you think about it, bi-wiring really does not make any sense, other than selling more speaker wire. Bi-amping is another story.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Murray1
    edited January 2010
    Options
    yes it will, but I use spades on mine anyway.

Did you install spades yourself. Think I read that the best connection is without connectors if wire will fit. Thanks again
  • nooshinjohn
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I did install them myself. I planned on doing a nice, finished set, but have decided to persue other upgrades for now and then get a set of MIT's

• Murray1
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Funny that you mentioned MIT cables. Joe Abrahms quoted me $280 for his suggested pair for my new speakers and receiver. I would still need a center so I will use canare 4s11 wire until I complete the rest of my system. Is the canare wire fairly flexible.
  • CoolJazz
    CoolJazz Posts: 569
    edited January 2010
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    If you think about it, bi-wiring really does not make any sense, other than selling more speaker wire. Bi-amping is another story.
    It'll make more sense to you if you study electronics theory and specifically look into what it means to swing a load at the other end of some resistance and with wild impedance swings present.

I agree with you though that bi-amping is quite different. But you do have to be careful that you do more good than damage with the components used! It's more easily screwed up than just using the manufacturers carefully designed crossover implimentation.

CoolJazz
    A so called science type proudly says... "I do realize that I would fool myself all the time, about listening conclusions and many other observations, if I did listen before buying. That’s why I don’t, I bought all of my current gear based on technical parameters alone, such as specs and measurements."
  • BlueFox
    edited January 2010
    Options
    CoolJazz wrote: »
    It'll make more sense to you if you study electronics theory and specifically look into what it means to swing a load at the other end of some resistance and with wild impedance swings present.

Perhaps. But doesn't the amp still see the same load whether there are one pair, or two pair, of wires attached to its speaker out binding posts?

The electrical part of biwiring is that you now have two resistors (the speaker wire) running in parallel. The total resistence of two resistors in parallel is less than a single resistor so this can change the load the amp sees, and the overall electricial characteristics of the circuit (amp/speaker).

I guess there is a theoretical possibility biwiring can affect on the sound, but the effect can just as easily be negative as well as positive, depending on the amp/speaker combination, along with the electrical characteristics of the wire.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Murray1 wrote: »
    Funny that you mentioned MIT cables. Joe Abrahms quoted me $280 for his suggested pair for my new speakers and receiver. I would still need a center so I will use canare 4s11 wire until I complete the rest of my system. Is the canare wire fairly flexible.

The Canare is very flexible, and will work well until you are able to move farther down the rabbit hole.:)

• CoolJazz
    CoolJazz Posts: 569
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Perhaps. But doesn't the amp still see the same load whether there are one pair, or two pair, of wires attached to its speaker out binding posts?
    Pretty much, but the two wires will change it a bit over the one wire...as you say next. But the change that you would be after by bi-wiring is the change that occurs at the speaker end of the wire from before to after.

To me, the easiest way to visualize what bi-wiring can mean is to for a minute assume greater resistance in the wire. Now think what happens not at the amp output but at the speaker input as much greater power is drawn for power hungry bass notes. Remember that the HF is going to be modulated by R value during the power draw moments.
    The electrical part of biwiring is that you now have two resistors (the speaker wire) running in parallel. The total resistence of two resistors in parallel is less than a single resistor so this can change the load the amp sees, and the overall electricial characteristics of the circuit (amp/speaker).
    Yupper!
    I guess there is a theoretical possibility biwiring can affect on the sound, but the effect can just as easily be negative as well as positive, depending on the amp/speaker combination, along with the electrical characteristics of the wire.
    The lower modulation of the HF by the power needed for the lows is the change that your after. How much this makes a difference depends on a number of variables like the output impedance of the amp, the R of the cables of course, how wild the change of the impedance slopes the crossover present, the efficiency and power involved and one that we haven't touched on, the effect on the typical amps feedback loop.

I do agree...in some situations, some folks won't hear a change with bi-wiring. Just like many things in audio, there are lots of variables even before we get to what the individual is after with their listening preferences.

Your point about it possibly being a negative...the biggest way I can think of is the driver configuration being overdamped. In that case a greater R value in the cable means lower dampening and restores a more natural decay to notes. More often needed than most people realize, IMHO.

CoolJazz
    A so called science type proudly says... "I do realize that I would fool myself all the time, about listening conclusions and many other observations, if I did listen before buying. That’s why I don’t, I bought all of my current gear based on technical parameters alone, such as specs and measurements."
  • BlueFox
    edited January 2010
    Options

After thinking about this, I realized this statement is incorrect. The two speaker wires are not in parallel, since the jumper on the speakers will have been removed. In effect, this is two different loads on the amp, although both loads are in the same speaker cabinent. An easier way to visualize this is to think of two seperate speakers connected to the same speaker connection on the amp.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,713
    edited January 2010
    Options
    After thinking about this, I realized this statement is incorrect. The two speaker wires are not in parallel, since the jumper on the speakers will have been removed. In effect, this is two different loads on the amp, although both loads are in the same speaker cabinent. An easier way to visualize this is to think of two seperate speakers connected to the same speaker connection on the amp.

Two different loads? All it does is move the jumper from the speaker to the amp terminal. The only change is a very slight drop in resistance. No different than using bigger wire.
  • Murray1
    edited January 2010
    Options

Wonder why Polk would set their speakers up for bi-wiring if it could negatively effect their product. Must be a big time exception to the norm if it is true.
  • BlueFox
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Wonder why Polk would set their speakers up for bi-wiring if it could negatively effect their product. Must be a big time exception to the norm if it is true.

Choice. They provide the rope, you can hang yourself if you so choose.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • BlueFox
    edited January 2010
    Options
    WilliamM2 wrote: »
    Two different loads? All it does is move the jumper from the speaker to the amp terminal. The only change is a very slight drop in resistance. No different than using bigger wire.

Look at this schematic for the LSi15. The tweeter is isolated from the from the upper/lower driver, and woofer. The jumpers are what couple them together, and the x-over is what sends the appropriate frequencies to each driver.

Remove the jumpers, and the tweeter is now an isolated speaker from the other speakers in the system. Attach seperate wires to the amp for the tweeter and the other drivers, and the amp now sees two different loads; the tweeter is one, and the other upper/lower driver, and woofer is the other speaker.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18678&d=1155780535

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38755

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Murray1
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Choice. They provide the rope, you can hang yourself if you so choose.

Do you believe that Polk would "provide the rope" to ruin their reputation and lose market share. Hard to believe from a "common sense" point of view.
  • BlueFox
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Do you believe that Polk would "provide the rope" to ruin their reputation and lose market share. Hard to believe from a "common sense" point of view.

You're right, poor metaphor. "Choice" is sufficient. :D

Try it, and let your ears decide if it is better, the same, or worse.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • WilliamM2
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Look at this schematic for the LSi15. The tweeter is isolated from the from the upper/lower driver, and woofer. The jumpers are what couple them together, and the x-over is what sends the appropriate frequencies to each driver.

Remove the jumpers, and the tweeter is now an isolated speaker from the other speakers in the system. Attach seperate wires to the amp for the tweeter and the other drivers, and the amp now sees two different loads; the tweeter is one, and the other upper/lower driver, and woofer is the other speaker.

Instead of coupling them with the jumper, you are coupling them together at the amp's binding post. The cicuit has not been changed at all, the load is the same. Think about it.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Instead of coupling them with the jumper, you are coupling them together at the amp's binding post. The cicuit has not been changed at all, the load is the same. Think about it.

Yep I agree. Some say that having the lower frequencies on one set of wires and the highs on another keeps the sound cleaner. I have had good luck using different cables on the highs and lows, but two identical sets of wires is a waste IMHO.
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • BlueFox
    edited January 2010
    Options

Okay. Maybe I have over thought this, and confused myself. It certainly would not be the first time.

This is my logic in regard to the LSi15 schematic.

There are two speakers shown on the drawing. They are identified by the “+” and “-“ symbol pairs. The tweeter has one pair. The upper/lower driver, and woofer has the other pair. When the jumpers are installed between the “+” and “-“ pair it creates one circuit. All components are connected, and this is what the amp “sees”.

Remove the jumpers, and now there are 2 separate speakers; the tweeter, and the upper/lower driver and woofer. Granted they are in the same cabinet, but I suspect very few electrons are leaking between the two circuits. Now the amp is “seeing” two separate loads on the same output. This could be good, neutral, or bad. As mentioned above, mentally put each speaker in a separate cabinet to more easily visualize what is happening when the jumpers are removed.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • WilliamM2
    edited January 2010
    Options
    ben62670 wrote: »
    Yep I agree. Some say that having the lower frequencies on one set of wires and the highs on another keeps the sound cleaner.

Don't know why some would say that. The amp is still sending the full range on both wires when bi-wiring.
  • WilliamM2
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Remove the jumpers, and now there are 2 separate speakers;

But connect them to the amp terminal and the "jumper" is replaced. The circuit hasn't changed. The load on the amp has not changed. Draw it out on paper if you need to visualize it.
  • BlueFox
    edited January 2010
    Options
    But connect them to the amp terminal and the "jumper" is replaced.

No, the jumper is not replaced. The entire point of having jumpers is to be able to turn multiple speakers into a single speaker.
    The circuit hasn't changed.

Yes it has. Before all the components were electrically connected. Now there are two seperate circuits (speakers) attached to the amp.
    The load on the amp has not changed.

That I do not know. How the amp responds to two loads on the same output will probably vary amp to amp.
    Draw it out on paper if you need to visualize it.

I have. You need to try it.

Three 20 amp circuits.