"burning in" wires/cables

Options
On more than one occassion I have seen the words "buring in" when it comes to cables and wires...I had just ordered some new component cables, biwires, and still have a few to pick up and was wondering if there was something that I needed to do once I get them all in and connected? I have a pretty good idea of what it means but I have never "burned in" any wire and wouldn't know the correct way to do it nor what the benefits would be...Thanx!
AVR: Onkyo TX-SR604/s
Front: Polk Rt1000i
Center: Polk CS400i
Surround: Polk FX500i
Subwoofer: Polk PSW110
Post edited by bionicmushroom on

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited September 2003
    Options
    IMHO, Cable burn-in is all BS. Don't believe the hype. Plug in what ever you bought and enjoy.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • gatemplin
    gatemplin Posts: 1,595
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I second that. I never noticed any difference.
    Graham
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Contrary to my fellow Polkies, I believe in cable burn in because I have noticed a difference. It may have to do with the cable. For example, I know you wouldn't notice a difference with plain 16 gauge copper wire, but you should with high end wire. You don't mention what you bought, but it's all the same process, which is really nothing more than time. Some makers will say 40 hours, others 100 hours. You should be able to talk to the maker of your cables to see what they recommend. Generally what happens in the burn in process is that the cables settle down to their sonic signature. My PS Audio Statement power cord is a good example, it sounded too bright out of the box, but after about 50 hours I noticed that it became smoother and the bass became tighter, no BS.

Either way, report back what you find.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Yup, same here. Signal Magic Power cord and Kimber Hero's both took some time before they settled down.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • bionicmushroom
    bionicmushroom Posts: 73
    edited September 2003
    Options
    So is that just for speaker wires and power cords or is it for all cables? My component cables and opticals are MC M-series and my main and center biwires are IXOS 6004's. I havent decided on which wires to use for my surrounds yet...
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I've noticed it on interconn's from Signal Cable to MIT. I had one pair of MIT's that was smooth, and little bright out of the box, 2 weeks later - highs mellowed, and bass was overwhelming. Had to switch cables for that rig.

Some speaker wire, nothing, my MIT's did have some subtle, but noticeable differences after burn in.

Good news is, believer or not, it WILL eventually happen if you actually use the toys the bought.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Your cables are probably burned-in within the first 15 minutes of play. IMO you're simply getting accustomed to the sound, but like all kinds of issues--this one rages on too.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I might believe in cable burn in when the Twin is unleashed:D

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • mrgoodcheese
    mrgoodcheese Posts: 23
    edited October 2003
    Options
    IMO I say it's BS also.

The term sounds like something from Monster Cable marketing.
    My Humble HT:
    50H81 50" Toshiba HDTV
    Yamaha 5250 receiver
    Center: Polk cs400i
    Fronts: Polk rti70s
    Rears: Polk FXi30s
    Subs: JBL PB-12 corner/old Cerwin Vega 10" behind couch
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I have noticed cable burn in on my SC power cord, but honestly, don't know if the other cables I own have burned in or sound different.

I could care less either way, as long as its not a negative result after hookup...or it actually catches on fire.... :)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • terryvi
    terryvi Posts: 1
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by F1nut
    Contrary to my fellow Polkies, I believe in cable burn in because I have noticed a difference. It may have to do with the cable. For example, I know you wouldn't notice a difference with plain 16 gauge copper wire, but you should with high end wire. You don't mention what you bought, but it's all the same process, which is really nothing more than time. Some makers will say 40 hours, others 100 hours. You should be able to talk to the maker of your cables to see what they recommend. Generally what happens in the burn in process is that the cables settle down to their sonic signature. My PS Audio Statement power cord is a good example, it sounded too bright out of the box, but after about 50 hours I noticed that it became smoother and the bass became tighter, no BS.

Either way, report back what you find.

I am skeptical about copper wire changing characteristics over time. Could it be that your speakers were new and required "break-in". I would be more inclined to think speakers change over time than wire.
  • dorokusai
    edited October 2003
    Options
    F1's speakers are vintage Polk SDA 2.3TL's...they are out of their break in period by a long shot.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by terryvi
    I am skeptical about copper wire changing characteristics over time. Could it be that your speakers were new and required "break-in". I would be more inclined to think speakers change over time than wire.

I agree. Speakers have "mechanical" suspensions that I believe do break-in or soften-up at any rate. But with speakers as well, I think within 4-6hrs of play, you're there.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • dorokusai
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I think we should have a blanket generic statement, that whenever this constantly brought up subject arises, that gets posted to stop the thread from continuing.

Not a single person here nor a batch of found information elswhere in the world is going to solve this dispute. For every proof positive argument, their is the anti-argument.

Until the Audio God or Being steps down from his Home Depot wired Cerwin-Vega's and Sony 2000x7 wpc HT amplifier wired with Radio Shack Fusion interconnects....we will NEVER know the answer.

This is utterly pointless. I am not flaming you new guys, but I have only been here 3/4 of a year, and have seen this subject brought up and discussed to 0% resolution 12 times.
  • dorokusai
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I'm sorry I freaked out, make this the biggest thread ever known to man. :D
  • wlrandall
    wlrandall Posts: 440
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Sorry, but I think it's the most rediculous thing I ever heard. Burning in conductors that carry no mentionable current whatsoever?? Burn-in is for power supplies, amp circuits, variable frequency drives, etc...things that involve current and heat.

Like I've told others, if you built a brand new house, with all new wiring, did all the lights burn brighter after a couple of weeks?? Did the oven cook food faster and tastier? Did any of your appliances perform better?? No, no, no, no....
  • RuSsMaN
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by wlrandall
    ...if you built a brand new house, with all new wiring, did all the lights burn brighter after a couple of weeks?? Did the oven cook food faster and tastier? Did any of your appliances perform better??

I don't know, did you take any measurements to find out? ;)
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    edited October 2003
    Options
    wl,

Your argument carries no weight. Go ahead, turn on your system. Take the positive/negative leads on your speaker wire and touch them together. Now, you want to tell me about current and heat.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• bionicmushroom
    bionicmushroom Posts: 73
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Man I wasn't trying to start a pissing contest I was just curious..LOL!! I see alot of goods points being brought out about this tho...Kinda reminds me of some biwire threads that I have read but I wont even go there...Dont you think alot of it is based on the equipment that you use? You know like this wire sounding better with that speaker and so on and so forth?
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I've deffinately noticed it. Sometimes it's subtle, but sometimes it is very noticable. And sometimes I can't tell a difference.

I've read that it has more to do with the dielectric (plastic coating) and design more than the conductor itself.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited October 2003
    Options
    It depends completely on whether the copper atoms in your particular wires/cables happen to be heterosexual, bisexual, or homosexual, as well as the mix of male to female atoms. If you happen to get a new wire/cable that has all male heterosexual atoms, for example, and they have beer, the sound *will* change once the atoms get loaded and decide to sit their fat-atom asses down to try to watch the game. If you end up with all male homosexual atoms, the sound will be warmer plus you'll wake up to find your man-cave has been redecorated (and looks better). Now, the worst is if you get all **** female atoms, because they don't really think you should be sitting down to listen to your system in the first place (you worthless piece of manshit).

Really, the best cables/wires to get, if you can manage it (and I admit it is pretty damn hard to tell), is all heterosexual female copper atoms. They'll all work together as long as you buy them nice gold connectors and break them in with romantic music.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited October 2003
    Options
    I am friggen dying over here Mark!:D

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by burdette
    It depends completely on whether the copper atoms in your particular wires/cables happen to be heterosexual, bisexual, or homosexual, as well as the mix of male to female atoms.

Ok OK enough, lets get the experts on this one!!:D

Brett, calling brett to the front register :rolleyes:
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • RuSsMaN
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Poetry Mark, poetry!
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited October 2003
    Options
    Believe or not to believe is the question here.........

Only answer here is your own experience.

If you LISTEN to your system ,maybe you'll notice a difference after time.I have had so many different types of wire and most of it changed over time.and electrical stand point????Hype???Who cares I say,if you can hear it,then believe it.I don't believe in most of what THEY say but I do believe in my own findings........

No worng or right answer here guys............listen and you'll see.

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.