Home made subwoofer is done!

Options
gmorris
gmorris Posts: 1,179
edited September 2003 in Speakers
Well, my forum friends, my 1'st home made subwoofer is done! Special thanks to Burdette, Madmax, Tryrrthg & jcaut for all their help a couple of weeks ago with this project.

Now, some background info on the project. I had 2 JL Audio 12W-1 subs lying around. I then designed a ported box using WinISD. The box is 3 cubic feet, tuned to 31 Hz. The cabinet is constructed from 3/4" MDF. The cabinet is finished with black ash vinyl laminate from Parts Express. It is lined with convoluted acoustical tile, also from PE. The cabinet feet are the Dayton Audio speaker cones, (the large ones) from PE. The box was glued together with carpenters glue & clamped, then screwed together with 2" drywall screws.

The only thing missing now is the amp. I will be getting the 180 watt RMS plate amp from, you guessed it, Parts Express. In the one picture, you can see the inside of the box. The hole you are looking thru is where the amp will be mounted.

Also, the room these pics was taken in is NOT the room my system is set up in, it is just an extra bedroom/storage closet. My family room is currently being renovated, and my system has been shelved for the time being. But, my beloved R30's are still hooked up, so I can enjoy them, albeit in a 7 foot wide room.

Let me know what you think. I'll post again when I get the amp installed to let everyone know how it sounds.

Thanks
Greg
Bob Mayo, on the keyboards. Bob Mayo.
Post edited by gmorris on

Comments

• gmorris
    edited September 2003
    Options
    my attachment did not load, i'll try again. it was too big.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited September 2003
    Options
    That looks real good G, nice job. I like the acoustic foam inside the box. Can't wait to hear about how it sounds.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Nice work!

Keep us in the loop.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited September 2003
    Options
    It looks great. Nice craftsmanship.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited September 2003
    Options
    can someone post the pic, i can't seem to download it, it comes up in my gozilla as .php file what ever that is...
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • gmorris
    edited September 2003
    Options
    by the way,

How do you post pics? I would have done it myself but I don't know how.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Quit EFFIN WITH IT!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited September 2003
    Options
    here ya go. if attaching from your computer hit the attach file button under the reply box. if they're on the web hit th IMG box just above the reply box...

EDIT: pics deleted, russ beat me to it...
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • RuSsMaN
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Pic 2...
  • RuSsMaN
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Another....
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Nice job on the sub!

I REALLY wish I could try this sometime but I don't have the extra cash to try it... Don't have room in my tiny little apartment either... The PSW450 takes up too much room as it is, let alone a 250 liter Stryke AV15 sub...
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited September 2003
    Options
    nice job on the veneer, looks good
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • gmorris
    edited September 2003
    Options
    One unfair advantage I forgot to mention... I had all the detailed areas of the blanks cut on a CNC machining center. The driver baffle holes, the port tube hole, the internal brace, the square hole for the amp, & the internal channels that the internal braces sits in.

I am lucky enough to work at a place with a machine shop. The CNC operator had all the pieces cut in about 1 hour, all PERFECT. Assembly went without a hitch.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Great work, really sharp. Let us know how it sounds over time.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Very Cool!

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***