R50 Tower Speaker - Tweeter Issues

Options
dmc_canada
dmc_canada Posts: 4
edited September 2003 in Troubleshooting
I just hooked up my stereo again after a few months of it sitting around. I noticed that one of my R50 speakers has no upper sound range (tweeter issue). I changed inputs on the receiver and tried new cable. Nada.

I contacted the store where I bougt it and they won't do anything for me (not in the first year) so I called Polk. They advised me to ship the tweeter to some place in Ontario Canada (where I'm from).

Just wondering if there is anything else I can try before I start mailing speaker components all over the province.

Thanks.

P.S. How IS the Polk customer service at turnaround time / quality ?
Post edited by dmc_canada on

Comments

• dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I received a replacement midrange under warranty from Mississauga (I think). Good warranty experience.

Did Polk give you a Phone # in Miss. to call. If not, get the phone number and you may be able to get a replacement sent to you.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,660
    edited September 2003
    Options
    First off, welcome to the forum.
    When you say you changed inputs, do you mean you tried the working channel to the non working speaker? If not, that would be the first thing to do. If that's not the case, have you checked the wiring to the tweeter? Something may have come off or loose. Might even check the other end that connects to the c/over.
    Some others with more experience than me will probably chime in. Polk customer service is awesome so if replacement parts are needed you've got nothing to worry about.
  • dmc_canada
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I had an address for a place in Brampton, maybe there is another one in Miss. I'll look into that since I don't want to be waiting to long. I've only had these speakers since June and they have only been moved twice (with extreme care).

I have checked the malfunctioning speaker on the good channel and it still had the problem. I haven't checked the wiring inside. I'm hoping it's just a loose connection (that would be a bonus).
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited September 2003
    Options
    It could have been Brampton. My memory isn't the best. ;)
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Are the R50's tweets fused? Nothing about any fuses in the "library" or manual...

You could swap tweets. Would tell you if it's the tweet of a crossover issue...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • dmc_canada
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Thanks, that's a good idea. If it's not an obviously loose wire I will give that a try. If it is a blown/damaged tweeter I don't know how it could have happened. I haven't had the volume very loud at all, and my equalizer isn't too far from the norm as far as the upper sound range is concerned.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Hello,
    The address is Polk Canada, 10 Murray Street, Brampton, Ontario, Canada L6X1R7 include a copy of your sales receipt. My advice is to reduce the settings on the EQ, everytime you make a change of 3 dB on the adjustments, it requires the amplifier to produce twice as much power at that one frequency. If you make a 6 dB change it's four times as much power required. The result is that the receiver, that's powering your system, is driven into clipping, producing high amounts of very high frequency distortion. In turn this causes the voice coils of your tweeters to become extremely hot, the built-in cooling fluid isn't able to drain off enough heat fast enough and the tweeter gets burned out.
    Regards, Ken
  • dmc_canada
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I have that address, but thank you again :) My EQ is barely off the norm for the high end, and it worked fine with my last set of speakers (paradigm) without any problems for years. I haven't noticed any clipping or distortion at all since I've purchased them.

In all fairness though, there are other people that do use the system (when I'm not home) so it's possible one of them has decided to see how loud things can get (possible for extended periods of time). If it turns out the tweeter is burned out I will have to have a talk with them.

Thanks.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited September 2003
    Options
    You're welcome, glad to be of help. I would highly suspect another person who might use the system, when you're not home. Regards, Ken