can a subwoofer damage speakers

Options
tschep20
tschep20 Posts: 39
If a subwoofer like a svs pb2-isd is very close to a speaker (like right next to it by a few inches), can the sub damage it in any way?
Post edited by tschep20 on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited September 2003
    Options
    No, unless it is an electrostatic or a ribbon and even then unlikely.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,652
    edited September 2003
    Options
    If the PB2 takes out a loadbearing wall it could cause some damage:D

God I want one
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited September 2003
    Options
    i can only imagine what it would do to a computer screen, my rti150s make my screen vibrate....that cant be good
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited September 2003
    Options
    Doc,
    Not to make a big thing, but are you sure?

I was told in my now long ago college days that our dorm rooms were not "speaker friendly". Our individual rooms were about 10 x 18' and most of us set our speakers facing the long wall on a heavy duty shelf over our desk. The drivers ended up starring at a heavy plaster wall about 8' away.

Anyway I was told at high volumes the reflected waves could actually increase the work load on the woofers, putting them in peril... An extreme set-up situation to be sure, but at 100+ db I could see the reflections being an issue.

Anyway, if there's anything to the above, then I could see relative positions where a sub could make it "unconfortable" for a speaker to do its work...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited September 2003
    Options
    I suppose if you took the front firng woofer of a sub and stuck it in the face of the mid range driver of a tower they could work against each other. It's kind of a bizarre scenario, though.

You are correct in thinking along the lines of drivers working harder against a close surface or against internal enclosure resistance. A sealed driver always has to work harder than a vented one, for example.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS