SDA upgrade thoughts

TNTsTunes
TNTsTunes Posts: 751
edited November 2009 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Here is my SDA assortment.

2 pairs of SDA-1C that are mint with the original boxes, cables and manual.
1 pair of SDA-2B's that are in great shape.
1 pair of SDA-2 II's with the three drivers and 2 tweeters in each. These need some help in looks, but do sound good.
1 pair of SDA-2A's with 2 drivers and 1 tweeter in each.
1 pair of SDA-CRS's. The original ones with two SL-1000 tweeters. These are wood veinered and painted black at some point.

I plain on leaving the SDA-1C's the way they are. I like how they sound and are in perfect condition. :D

I have 4 pairs SL-3000 tweeters and a pair of SL-2500's tweeters. All of my SDA's have SL-2000's except the CRS's.

I was thinking about replacing all of the SDA-2's tweeters I have with the SL-3000 tweeters except the SDA-2A's which will get the SL2500 tweeters.

I figure the SDA-2 II's will get the first big upgrades done to the crossovers and install heavier wires inside. I will add braces to the cabinets, play with the sound deadening and make them look like SDA-2B's. I might weight them down by addind a sand compartment to the bottom of each cabinet. I may also add one more driver so they have four drivers each.

My SDA-CRS's will get refinished, have the crossovers and binding posts upgraded. I'm not sure what can be done with the tweeter...

I will probably build two systems using these speakers.

Any good ideas for upgrades would be great.

Thanks.
"Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

Post edited by TNTsTunes on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited October 2009
    Keep a pair of SDA1C and modify/restore the hell out of the SDA2A or SDACRS and sell the rest. I wouldn't bother with adding a driver, why? It's a worthless venture plus you already own SDA1C. Be truly unique and hotrod a pair of SDA2.

There's no need to own but a couple pairs of SDA's....and those should be MINT or Modified.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • xj4094dg
    xj4094dg Posts: 1,158
    edited October 2009
    dorokusai wrote: »
    Keep a pair of SDA1C and modify/restore the hell out of the SDA2A or SDACRS and sell the rest. I wouldn't bother with adding a driver, why? It's a worthless venture plus you already own SDA1C. Be truly unique and hotrod a pair of SDA2.

There's no need to own but a couple pairs of SDA's....and those should be MINT or Modified.

So much knowledge and wisdom in so few words...
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it." Neil deGrasse Tyson.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited October 2009
    I'm sure that fact can and will be debated...but thanks, lol.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited October 2009
    I was thinking about replacing all of the SDA-2's tweeters I have with the SL-3000 tweeters except the SDA-2A's which will get the SL2500 tweeters.

I'll offer a different suggestion than my esteemed colleague.

The SDA 2's crossover is not designed for the SL3000. None of the SDA's were designed to use the SL2500, so you might as well sell those. I suggest that you upgrade your 2B's to the TL version, which will use the SL3000/RD0198-1 tweeter. Since you like the 1C's the way there are, leave them be. Sell the rest.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• xj4094dg
    xj4094dg Posts: 1,158
    edited October 2009
    er, uhm, I was, uhm, sort of hoping to buy some of what he was encouraged to sell (like an extra pair of 1C's he doesn't need) ;)
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it." Neil deGrasse Tyson.
  • kawizx9r
    kawizx9r Posts: 5,150
    edited October 2009
    xj4094dg wrote: »
    er, uhm, I was, uhm, sort of hoping to buy some of what he was encouraged to sell (like an extra pair of 1C's he doesn't need) ;)

Heh, I considered inquiring about the CRS. If you did get a pair of 1C's, rest assured the pair I had were very well taken care of. Tim's a great guy to deal with, and I hope that whatever he does with them he does it right...which I bet he will with all the help here on CP.

-Freddy
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

heiney9 wrote: »
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.
  • TNTsTunes
    edited October 2009
    dorokusai wrote: »

My WAF is about -100% so everything will probably have a new home

I'll have a HT rig, 8 channel stereo/ home theater rig and my shop rig.

One rig would have 2 pairs of SDA-1C'S my CS350ls center channel, a pair of Moniter 5's for the effects channel and the SDA-2B's as rear speakers. It will also have stereo sub with 700 watts of power that will extend down to about 15 Hz or lower.

One would get the SDA-2A's with a 4 speaker center channel I have had for a while. a pair of modded Monitier 10's and a 500 watt sub I have.

The last rig would get modded out SDA-2's, a pair of Moniter 7's and a pair of 5JR's for a center channel speakers

• TNTsTunes
    edited October 2009
    F1nut wrote: »
    I'll offer a different suggestion than my esteemed colleague.

The SDA 2's crossover is not designed for the SL3000. None of the SDA's were designed to use the SL2500, so you might as well sell those. I suggest that you upgrade your 2B's to the TL version, which will use the SL3000/RD0198-1 tweeter. Since you like the 1C's the way there are, leave them be. Sell the rest.

I plan on redoing and upgrading the crossovers on the ones that get a different tweeter the what they came with.

So the SL-3000's will be working with the upgraded crossovers designed for them.

• TNTsTunes
    edited October 2009
    xj4094dg wrote: »

Everybody seems to want me to sell them... I didn't know this was the sale forum

• tigerfever1
    tigerfever1 Posts: 33
    edited November 2009
    Hello, This message is for TNTsTUNES . In case you don't do the crossover upgrade I would very much be interested in purchasing all eight of your SL3000 tweeters if you could ship them to me in Phoenix,AZ. I will prepay of course via what ever method you need. I also have a paypal account. I am assuming they all have been tested as well. Please let me know if you are interested in selling the lot of eight SL3000's and Thanks! I just saw the post,sorry about asking questions regarding selling them and I'll check out the sale area next then.
    Paul
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited November 2009
    I'll jump in and say as good as the 1C's are stock, they are superb with Sonicaps, Mills and RD0's. The caveat for all these to achieving another level beyond the stellar mods is the gear. The better the gear the better they sound, you can't say that about a lot of speakers especially 20+ year old speakers.

I have played with a lot of gear with the 1C's and moving up the gear ladder certainly had some great rewards.

Mod the 1C's and CRS's sell the rest and the money from the sale to upgrade your gear. Dump the sl3000's and sl2500's and get the RD0's. Yes, the sl3000 is better than the sl2000 when it can be used, but the RD0's are even better.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • tigerfever1
    tigerfever1 Posts: 33
    edited November 2009
    I called polk today and for us it is $48 per RDO 198 to replace my bad SL3000's. If anyone knows where I can get them for less that would help too,sounds like the way to go for me at least.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited November 2009
    Not redoing the 1C's XO's is like not changing the the brake pads on a car because they are stock, or not rebuilding a carb on an old car. Those caps aren't that good when new never mind 20 years later.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • wayne3burk
    wayne3burk Posts: 939
    edited November 2009
    ben, i hate to sound too much like a newbie here -- but finding a cogent thread or post on how to redo the 1C's XO's is like finding a needle in a haystack -- can you give me a link to a sight or thread with specifics?
    Yamaha RX-V2700, EMI 711As (front), RCA K-16 (rear), Magnavox Console (Center & TV Stand), Sony SMP-N200 media streamer, Dual 1249 TT =--- Sharp Aquas 60" LCD tellie
  • TNTsTunes
    edited November 2009
    I called polk today and for us it is $48 per RDO 198 to replace my bad SL3000's. If anyone knows where I can get them for less that would help too,sounds like the way to go for me at least.

I tried to send you a PM but you must not be set-up for them. I haven't tested all of them yet but I'm pretty sure they all are good. I bought them from a site member I trust. They all are in mint condition. I can test them all for you no problem.

Send me an e-mail at tntsxj@yahoo.com and we can discuss the details.