Fishing Trip in GA or NC

Conradicles
Conradicles Posts: 6,010
edited September 2009 in Gatherings & Special Events
Wanted to get the ball rolling on a polkie fishing trip in the near future. All are welcome and I know we got some skilled fishermen in the GA and NC area.

Let's dicuss dates and places. Chime in and give your ideas.

Best regards,
Eric.
Post edited by Conradicles on

Comments

• everpress
    everpress Posts: 862
    edited September 2009
    Damn, I wish I could go; I grew up trout fishing on the Nantahala River in western NC...

Nice rainbow trout.

? Harmon Kardon AVR 55 (dead; replacing with Onkyo TX NR-616)
    ? Polk RTA 11TL's (FR and FL)
    ? Polk TSi200's (RR and RL)
    ? Polk CS10 (Center)
    ? Polk PSW-350
    ? Grado SR-60i Headphones
    ? Fii0 E5 headphone amp
    ? iPod touch (8 gig)
    ? iPod Classic (80 gig)
    ? Mac Mini (as media server)
    ? xbox 360

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited September 2009
    I'm interested:)
    We talking bass, hybrid bass, trout...?
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Conradicles
    edited September 2009
    ben62670 wrote: »
    I'm interested:)
    We talking bass, hybrid bass, trout...?

Anything is good with me.

Dawgfish is a part time guide and he had mentioned some trout on the coast of GA.

In the past, I have always had a lot of success in Cherokee NC on the reservation catching tons of trout in those stocked waters.
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,811
    edited September 2009
    Fantastic fishing and a beautiful area, use to go to Oconaluftee Islands Park every year back when kids were little....I have pulled some sweeet fat brown trout from that area
  • ben62670
    edited September 2009
    So we are talking salt? Sea trout. I never caught one. Just an Idea. I wonder if the flounder are running, and could we catch them from shore? I'm pretty much game for any kinda fishing. Love fishing.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited September 2009
    come on down. Reeltrouble is guaranteed to find the fish.

Lets see, October the Red Drum are in, they pull like a freight train. Top water trolling is about over, the water is cooling and the fish species will head off or go to the bottom.

RT1
  • ben62670
    edited September 2009
    I have plenty of off shore gear here. My boat got stolen and I just can't let go of the gold and some nice lever drags. I have a fair amount of rigs too. I know how it is to have people come on board and leave $50 worth of lead on the bottom and not even realize what it costs. I have a kite setup too. Very nice for sails, kings, and wahoo.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Conradicles
    edited September 2009
    Red Drum sound very nice!!!
  • everpress
    edited September 2009
    Anything is good with me.

Dawgfish is a part time guide and he had mentioned some trout on the coast of GA.

In the past, I have always had a lot of success in Cherokee NC on the reservation catching tons of trout in those stocked waters.

Head another hour or so over... Seriously. Go through the whitewater rafting part of the Nantahala river, up past the powerhouse and you'll get to 11 miles of the most beautiful natural river in North America. And I guarantee you'll catch rainbow trout that would fetch a $30 price on a plate.

? Polk CS10 (Center)
    ? Polk PSW-350
    ? Fii0 E5 headphone amp
    ? iPod touch (8 gig)
    ? iPod Classic (80 gig)
    ? xbox 360

• ben62670
    edited September 2009
    Drums on a reef, or around structure(bridges...)? If this comes through what kinda depth we talking, and current. I want to be sure to have the right lead. BTW when I am on a boat I drink lots and lots of water!

Edit: Everpress where are you located?
    Thanks
    Ben
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited September 2009
    I usually just put a sharp edge on my knife and lop off some poor unsuspecting suckers pinky fingers (toes too on a good day), seems the drum really like them, reeeeely.

They are hanging on the sand bars, eating the whiting, quite a number of sand, spinner, black tip, and spiny dogtail sharks as well, of course if the boat gets hung on a bar the Captain has to send someone to push it off, but most of the sharks are under four feet.

The water runs 4-10 feet or so.

RT1
  • everpress
    edited September 2009
    ben62670 wrote: »
    Drums on a reef, or around structure(bridges...)? If this comes through what kinda depth we talking, and current. I want to be sure to have the right lead. BTW when I am on a boat I drink lots and lots of water!

Edit: Everpress where are you located?

I was living in Nantahala; I have family roots there. I spent summers on the river (about 4 months out of the year since I was 2). The rest of the year I was in Louisiana... Now I call Cincinnati OH home, but I'm going to be sending out portfolio's and resumes back down South (with a capital "S") and out west.

If you like the outdoors and mountains, Nantahala can't be beat. If you like to drive or bike fast, Hwy-129 is only a short skip away.

I miss that place!

? Polk CS10 (Center)
    ? Polk PSW-350
    ? Fii0 E5 headphone amp
    ? iPod touch (8 gig)
    ? iPod Classic (80 gig)
    ? xbox 360

• skipf
    skipf Posts: 694
    edited September 2009
    Fished the Nanty this past weekend. Nothing much left after a long summer of pounding by the worm dunkers. If you don't mind catch & release, wait till November for the DH season. The river will be stocked full of trout, some up to 20". North Ga. is my favorite area to fish. The Chattoga DH section is also excellent in the winter. Late October into November is prime time in the coastal waters for spottail bass (drum) and trout (weakfish). Fishing live shrimp under a bobber around the oyster rocks will fill the cooler fast, and if you don't catch many fish, you can eat the bait for supper.
  • everpress
    edited September 2009
    skipf wrote: »
    Fished the Nanty this past weekend. Nothing much left after a long summer of pounding by the worm dunkers. If you don't mind catch & release, wait till November for the DH season. The river will be stocked full of trout, some up to 20". North Ga. is my favorite area to fish. The Chattoga DH section is also excellent in the winter. Late October into November is prime time in the coastal waters for spottail bass (drum) and trout (weakfish). Fishing live shrimp under a bobber around the oyster rocks will fill the cooler fast, and if you don't catch many fish, you can eat the bait for supper.

Upper or lower Nantahala?
    Upper is filled with more fly than worm fishers. Knew a guy that taught fly fishing in that area (and up by the lake) for around $400 an hour... More if he acted as a full-out guide and supplied the day with his own flies.

I've never been fly-fishing, but I can drink beer and watch all day long...

? Polk CS10 (Center)
    ? Polk PSW-350
    ? Fii0 E5 headphone amp
    ? iPod touch (8 gig)
    ? iPod Classic (80 gig)
    ? xbox 360