Went to Nik's place

Comments

• SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited July 2009
    I got that one for my TV and the main portion of my rack. It's a nice stand. Filling it with shot is worthwhile, but not a major major tweak.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited July 2009
    Nik, I assembled this amp stand from parts at Lowe's for ~$33. I didn't want to spend the near $100 for the VTI stand that would match my audio rack. Menard's, Home Depot may have something similar in their shelving area. Lowe’s had different color and size shelves, legs, and accent pieces. It is sturdy, has ~105 pounds on it now.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited July 2009
    Damn nice stand Rich,, think I'll drop buy Lowes,,that liiks very nice! Thanks for posting the pic.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • SCompRacer
    edited July 2009
    Lasareath wrote: »

I'm also buying around (8) 25LB bags of #9 lead shot to fill all of the tubes!

Sal, some tips about filling the VTI rack with lead shot. Sometimes the rubber plugs are not inserted properly in the tubes where the legs join the shelf support bars. There is a small notch-gap at the bottom of the shelf supports where they are joined to the tubes. I sealed those small gaps with silicone sealer. Otherwise, when you pour the lead shot in the legs, it can leak into the shelf support rails and fall out of those notches, dropping on your gear/floor. Once you seal the gap, you can remove the top caps and fill the entire rack with lead if you like. Those plugs inside the tube will be visible if you knock the top caps off. Use a long punch through the hole the spikes screw in. Or just seal the gaps in the shelf supports, and fill the legs through the threaded holes for the spikes using a small funnel.

The other thing is run a bead of super glue around the base feet (where the spikes screw in) where it joins the tube. These feet caps will loosen up with weight/vibration, and if you ever go to move the rack, the feet can fall off when you lift it, and you'll have lead shot rolling everwhere. Yes, it happened to me.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • SCompRacer
    edited July 2009
    Damn nice stand Rich,, think I'll drop buy Lowes,,that liiks very nice! Thanks for posting the pic.

Thanks George! Doug (dkg999) put me on to them. Funny thing was when Brock went to one of the Lowes Doug saw them at, they didn't carry them after they remodeled the store.

I had to drive to a neighboring town to get mine. I mentioned to the fellow at Lowes that my Menards didn't have the DIY shelving, and he said the Menards in their town did, so one will have to shop around.
  • nikolas812
    nikolas812 Posts: 2,915
    edited July 2009
    SolidSqual wrote: »
    Hey, don't buy stands Nik. Seriously, you can have the ones I got indefinitely and without any strings attached . . . other than a cold beer when I come over to hear that SDA effect in proper action.

The stands can be easily place in a car without issue. The one catch is that I won't be in the states again until the 5th of August. You are welcome to stop by and pick them up then.

Mike

Well if you giving the darn thing away. Heck Yeah I'll take it! Thats the same one I was going to buy...:)

You can just bring it with you the next time you come down...

Or I can get it when i come up there to check out the system..

Nik
  • TNRabbit
    TNRabbit Posts: 2,168
    edited July 2009
    nikolas812 wrote: »
    Was working with the camera today. And got a pic or two that wasn't bad.

Heres one to gander at.

I LOVE the black trim pieces for the XPA-2.

Nik

[URL="[IMG]http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj162/nikolas812/Picture005.jpg[/IMG]"]Picture005.jpg[/URL]

I have that exact entertainment unit; Wal Mart?
    TNRabbit
    NO Polk Audio Equipment :eek:
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Ashly 1001 Active Crossover
    Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers x 2
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer
  • nikolas812
    edited July 2009
    TNRabbit wrote: »
    I have that exact entertainment unit; Wal Mart?

Yep. Wasn't cheap though..

Nik
  • SolidSqual
    edited July 2009
    Well if you giving the darn thing away. Heck Yeah I'll take it! Thats the same one I was going to buy...:)

You can just bring it with you the next time you come down...

Or I can get it when i come up there to check out the system..

Nik

I didn't say free . . . I said I would like a cold beet and preferably a fully broken-in and tweaked SDA system to enjoy. :)
  • nikolas812
    edited July 2009
    I didn't say free . . . I said I would like a cold beet and preferably a fully broken-in and tweaked SDA system to enjoy. :)

No problem. I get all the cold beets you can handle.:D

Plus a tweaked out SDA system to listen to.

Nik
  • SolidSqual
    edited July 2009
    awww ****, it's 1 a.m. here. Don't bust me on the typos. How's it sounding today?
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited July 2009
    Filling it with shot is worthwhile, but not a major major tweak.

Yes it is. That sucker rings like a bell when it is empty and resonates.
  • nikolas812
    edited July 2009
    awww ****, it's 1 a.m. here. Don't bust me on the typos. How's it sounding today?

Better than anything I've ever heard.

I got the Dodd today.. That put it over the top. Its a system to be reckoned with IMO....

Nik
  • nikolas812
    edited July 2009

You must be 24 hours behind us.:D

Nik
  • SolidSqual
    edited July 2009
    You must be 24 hours behind us.:D

Nik

Actually, I'm living in the future . . . 12 hours ahead of you . . . spooky stuff.:eek:
  • SCompRacer
    edited July 2009
    Lasareath wrote: »
    he didn't tell me about the endcaps falling off.

As long as you don't lift the sections off, they won't.:D I can't say the super glue mod will work either as I haven't lifted any part of the rack since that one day.

Tube injection, hmmm, wonder if that spray/expanding insulation would work?
  • SolidSqual
    edited July 2009
    Yes it is. That sucker rings like a bell when it is empty and resonates.

Really, hmmm I must not have messed with it long enough. I filled mine with lead shot almost the first day I bought them. Well, that's good to know anyway.
  • comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    edited July 2009
    Better than anything I've ever heard.

I got the Dodd today.. That put it over the top. Its a system to be reckoned with IMO....

Nik

Awesome! Good to know the Dodd arrived safe. It's a damn fine sounding pre-amp.:)
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • nikolas812
    edited July 2009
    Had a great Effing time again with Ben. He spent most of the day here. We BBQ'd some ribs drank some good micro brew beers. Listened to some tunes and watched a movie. I thoroughly enjoyed his visit. Again. And look forward to going to his place eventually...

Nik
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited July 2009
    Had a great Effing time again with Ben. He spent most of the day here. We BBQ'd some ribs drank some good micro brew beers. Listened to some tunes and watched a movie. I thoroughly enjoyed his visit. Again. And look forward to going to his place eventually...

Nik

I had a good time again as well. :cool:

And found some interesting results in a 3 way cdp shootout.... And i swear i'll get the Mazda down there sometime. I think we could have both used a shot of sheer adrenaline. :p

You still liking that Blueberry Lager? I picked up another 6 pack yesterday and will be enjoying a couple for dessert tonite. :D

And i need you to wrap your ears around my system, so yes, soon, we'll meet up in Bloomington. :)
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • SolidSqual
    edited July 2009
    I had a good time again as well. :cool:

And found some interesting results in a 3 way cdp shootout.... And i swear i'll get the Mazda down there sometime. I think we could have both used a shot of sheer adrenaline. :p

You still liking that Blueberry Lager? I picked up another 6 pack yesterday and will be enjoying a couple for dessert tonite. :D

And i need you to wrap your ears around my system, so yes, soon, we'll meet up in Bloomington. :)

Shoot, look at all these Indiana Polkies. We need to have a small Polk Fest before summer lets out.
  • nikolas812
    edited July 2009
    You still liking that Blueberry Lager

YES. Drank the last one last night. But will be picking up more..

Shoot, look at all these Indiana Polkies. We need to have a small Polk Fest before summer lets out.

When ever you get back we'll have to arrange something..

Nik
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited July 2009

Deal! There are a few of us.... you, me, Nik, ND13 (he still around), Nooshinjohn (sp?), and i think at least 2 more that i'm missing right now.

I think i'm like 20 minutes from your home adress at the moment, but i'm moving south a bit.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • nikolas812
    edited July 2009
    You now what.

Miss my Mother Effin Buddy.:(

COME HOME!!

Guy is twice as crazy about this stuff as I am. AN we can carry a conversation on about it forever. We did for about a 20 hour drive.:)

Nik
  • SolidSqual
    edited July 2009
    I'd say you are about as crazy as me. You're the ne DIYing gear and offering custom work! Maybe one of these days we can make a real haul to AKFest, RMAF or even a PolkFest!
  • nikolas812
    edited July 2009
    I wish I was dead.

nik
  • SolidSqual
    edited July 2009
    I wish I was dead.

nik

What the hell is wrong with you? You ok? PM sent.
  • leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited July 2009
    I wish I was dead.

nik

Put the bottle down, and take your **** to bed.
  • nikolas812
    edited July 2009
    leroyjr1 wrote: »
    Put the bottle down, and take your **** to bed.

Nothing left but some zanx...

Nik
  • slowpolky
    slowpolky Posts: 714
    edited July 2009
    Never imadgined nic is actualy a nice guy

I realy hope he isnt serious?

Nic if you wish you were dead then just think ..... at least I am not as stupid as slowpoly the dicwad moron buttface who's hated by everyone