Ceiling Mounting Satelites

Options
Ray198
Ray198 Posts: 6
I need advice on how to best ceiling mount RM6700 satelites. I am looking for titanium (gray) bracket. I looked at the two models offered by polk. Which one is best? Is there any other options out there that are more attractive or functional?

Also, how do you hide the speaker cable hanging from the ceiling?Is there a grommet or cover that goes over the wire to hide the hole at the point of entry through the sheetrock?

I used monster xphp cl3 clear jacket cable in the walls. Was that a wise choice? (I hope so since it's too late now!) See link below..

Any advice for a newbie from you polazoids and polksters etc. would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, why am I a polkie? How do you get your status upgraded?:confused:http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=45
Ray198

Polk RM6700
Polk PSW404
Denon AVR-1804
Mitsubishi WT-42311
Post edited by Ray198 on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,059
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Call polk about the bractets.You could however check into Omnimount to see if they have some kind of matching bracket or universal bracket that you could safely mount them.

Getting the wires in the ceiling is easy.Without knowing your house ,room, or access,you can simply run the wires in the wall.Here's how you do it if you have no attic above or even a basement underneath.......
    Buy a phone P ring or low voltage P ring.Cut it in behind where your gear is going.Cut it out at outlet height.Now your going to need some kind of wire fishing device like a glow rod,or you could build one out of wire hangers strethed out and taped together(you need about 8 feet or so depending your ceiling height).Side note here a stud finger is very usefull to find the studs and ceiling joices inside the wall.Now up at the top of the ceiling above your P ring,cut a hole in the wall right below the header(the header is a 2x4 or 2 2x4's which the studs are nailed to to create the wall)Tip: basic construction knowledge is needed here,you going to cut a 4 inch by 4 inch hole at the top of the wall.Now you can drill threw the header with a 1 inch spade bit.This will get you into the ceiling.Now infront of your hole cut the same size hole to pull your wires into the ceiling.Luck will be needed now.Well you need to know which way your ceiling joices are running,front to back or side to side.If they are side to side from your gear location to the rear speaker locations,your going to have to cut alot of hole to get into the correct cells where your speakers are going to live.If the joices are running front to back, then you can fish across the one your into now to get to the back of the room.You'll have to cut across to the speaker locations at that point.

Sound difficult????For some maybe a nightmare.........this is where WE come in.Hire an Installer from Tweeter or whoever is local.We/they will run the wires for you,help you with your setup and placement to get the best out of your system.Can also give you advise on what to improve or upgrade down the road to max out he room your system lives in.Remember that the system can only be as good as the room it lives in...........

So now you have 2 choices here,cut the hell out of your room or Hire a Professional In home Installer.......I'd get an Installer to do the job right.We are not cheap but well worth the cost.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Ray198
    Ray198 Posts: 6
    edited August 2003
    Options
    :)
    Thanks Mantas,

The wires are installed. I put them in before I sheetrocked. I am happy with the placement. I just need to know how to cover the hole where the speakers come through the sheetrock to make it look clean. Any suggestions for where to get a cap or grommet that I can slide over the cables and glue/attach to the ceiling?

Thanks.

:confused:
    Ray198

Polk RM6700
    Polk PSW404
    Denon AVR-1804
    Mitsubishi WT-42311
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,652
    edited August 2003
    Options
    The easiest thing would be to get some coax wall plates and remove the connector to leave just the hole and put the wire thru there. A couple of wall anchors into the ceiling and you're there