Central PA gathering

Comments

• jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited June 2009
    Thanks for hosting a nice gig Noah! EAT THAT BEEF!!!
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited June 2009
    yeah, we still need to eat be beer. but then, theres still plenty of pizza left.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • nadams
    edited June 2009
    F* all, lightman and I went out to the microbrew... i maybe should've stopped. Lightman is hardcore!!!
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited June 2009
    Yes he is. Edit your post please. I don't want to loose another good Polkie for a period.
    Thanks
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • nadams
    edited June 2009
    f*ck you Ben
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • nadams
    edited June 2009
    it's obvious that someone managed to get ahold of my laptop last night and started posting derogatory comments.

It was a long night, for sure. Not so much audio after scottnbnj left. Lightman and I just cuddled.

Actually, I ended up kicking lightman at about 2am to wake him up so that he didn't spend the night under my carport. Hated to do it, he looked so comfortable there :p
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited June 2009
    Thanks for hosting a cool gathering Noah & Steph!!!!

Who "won" the speakers? Al and I had a wonderful time and look forward to another local get together down the road.

Big kudos to jdhdiggs(James) for bringing that boatload of gear and handling all the swapping. The LSi9's really sounded fantastic....probably the best round of music I've heard on them over the years. Post the pics man :D

Some good "upcoming" news was talked about but I guess you had to be there to get it....sucks for you guys who didn't make it.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • nadams
    edited June 2009
    I tried to give the A1's away, I really did. I was shot down by the masses, however, and they ended up staying right here with me. They were actually the surprise value for money speaker of the whole evening. Unfortunately, we didn't get them out until later on. They sounded amazing on the Adcom/Knight mono configuration. Way more power than they'd ever need, but it did sound good.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • eliminator1970
    eliminator1970 Posts: 77
    edited June 2009
    A big thank you for having me to the gathering. I learned more in the short time I was there, then I could have reading reviews. Kudos Noah and enjoy the speakers.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited June 2009
    Pictures or it didn't happen.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    edited June 2009
    Why was I covered in cooking oil this morning?
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited June 2009
    Ricardo wrote: »
    Pictures or it didn't happen.

I'm right with you there Bro.
  • nadams
    edited June 2009
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Why was I covered in cooking oil this morning?

It does what it's told...
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • nadams
    edited June 2009
    Pictures are uploading now. Stay tuned

By the way... it's been tapped for 3 days and I'm STILL trying to kick this keg. What the hell is wrong with you people?! I thought for sure it'd be done by now. I poured out another gallon into a pitcher and am drinking out of that, but the keg is still pouring.

Oh, and Russ, you left your growler of IPA here. I think you should come back and get it.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • nadams
    edited June 2009
    Okay... here they is!

The highlight of the afternoon, jdhdiggs dual 565's and dual Knight mono's running LSi9's-

100_4744.sized.jpg

Some demoing going on. I still feel sad we didn't even touch the SDA's, tho :(

100_4746.sized.jpg

God they're beastly -

100_4747.sized.jpg

Okay... let's see how well I do here. Seated is CNH, his friend, and doro. On the stairs is scottnbnj, and my brother milenko. Standing directly in front of the camera is eliminator, and then MuncyBob is behind him.

100_4750.sized.jpg

Lightman has LASER EYES!!!
    100_4751.sized.jpg

jdhdigg's modded tube output CDP... nice!
    100_4752.sized.jpg

I've never seen so many caps in a CDP!
    100_4753.sized.jpg

Unfortunately, from that point forward, I was more interested in keeping a beer in my hand and not the camera. I know jdhdiggs took some pics, so maybe he'll post them up. I'm fairly certain he took some of the RTi A1's hooked up to his monstrous amplifiers, too.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited June 2009
    Cool pics. Looks like a good time.
  • jdhdiggs
    edited June 2009
    Mine look like Noah's:

My rat's nest:
    Nadams%20Trip02.JPG
    Noah's:
    Nadams%20Trip03.JPG
    Listening to the 9's:
    Nadams%20Trip04.JPG
    Guest rig with the Ushers, LSI 9's, Adcom 565, Counterpoint SA100, Knight mono's, adcom passive pre, and a AD CDP
    Nadams%20Trip05.JPG
    Usher time:
    Nadams%20Trip06.JPG
    RT1A's with the knights in the BG:
    Nadams%20Trip07.JPG
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • nadams
    edited June 2009
    Just so you guys know, I DUMPED 1 1/2 gallons of beer out of that keg tonight. And not drank, but swished down the drain. I drank at least a half gallon before I decided I'd had enough of slightly stale beer. Alcohol abuse, I know.

The RTi A1's are sounding sweet in the computer rig... if a bit large for nearfield listening.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,962
    edited June 2009
    Thanks for the good time. Too bad I had to leave early, never got a taste of that IPA.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited June 2009
    Great get together Noah.

Thanks for everything...You couldn't ask for a more gracious host and it was cool to actually meet everyone you interact with on line. Some nice equipment. Finally got to hear some SDAs in action and actually pick mine up from Russ. Lightman, you're the best! Thanks to Doro and Al, I'll be taking the Polk logo to England tomorrow for a week! Great speakers, lots of Tubes, amps galore more pizza and beer than anyone could ingest.

For those of you who doubt that amps make a difference...here's a NON-SUBJECTIVE observation. When we switched amps on Mark's Ushers, you could not only HEAR the difference on the BASS, you could actually SEE the woofer vibrating more violently. Is seeing believing?

And yes, Noah tried to give those Rtis away but "WE" would have none of that. I also got to see a part of Pa. I was not familiar with.

Thanks to everyone....Nice times!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • nadams
    edited June 2009
    If anyone did NOT get a shirt, please let me know. I have one L and one 2XL left. If everyone has, I'll be karma-ing them shortly.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited June 2009
    Figures I just noticed this post on Monday AFTER the event. Ah, well. Anyway, I've been a member of the forum for years but am not active anymore. I have been looking to hook up with other local audio nuts. To that end I located a new Meetup group that's just getting started in Central PA. The first meetup is scheduled for Saturday, June 27th. Anyway, check out the site below for details. Please join the Meetup group (no commitment), even if you can't attend the first event. At least that way you will hear about future events. Also, please let the Meetup group know of any future Polk outings, assuming you would want non-Polkies. Thanks!

http://www.meetup.com/Greater-York-Area-Audio-Video-Music-Listening-Group/

Aaron
  • jdhdiggs
    edited June 2009
    Actually, I don't think you could have had three more different sounding amps to play with.
  • nadams
    edited June 2009
    So, the RTi A1's are rated for 20-120wpc. When we had them bi-amped with the 565's and the knights, what did they have available to them? I've got them set up in the computer rig on that 20wpc Marantz 2220b receiver, and they sound fine :)
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited June 2009
    Don't the Adcom monos put out 300 watts into an 8 ohm load? And one of the other amps did 160 per channel....as I remember asking. BTW... who owned which amps. And what did you guys do with the Monitor 10s when we left?

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • nadams
    edited June 2009
    cnh- I think that 2ch amp might've been the 160/ch. I'm sure the tube mono's were much lower... maybe 20? The 565's are rated as follows:

300x1@8
    450x1@4
    850x1@2

I think we had enough power for the little 5.25" mids in the RTi's.

The monitor 10's were briefly demo'd by Lightman and I, before we decided that the SDAs and the RTi's were more of a hoot to listen to. We did very little listening after scottnbnj left, but what we did listen to was loud and some truly testing music. After a few songs, though, we decided to hit the Brewery before it got too late.

After we got back from the Brewery, there wasn't going to be much listening going on. Especially after I decided to fire up the grill to make some burgers, and russ passed out in one of the chairs on the carport while watching me cook. I gave up on the burgers and just shoved them in the fridge for leftovers :p. All in all, I kind of wish we'd drank less, and listened more... but it was a good time regardless!
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • nadams
    edited June 2009
    Hey, does anyone happen to know what happened to my Days of the New CD? We had it in the LSi Rig, If I recall, but I checked Jason's CDP before he left and it was empty. I still can't come up with the disc anywhere.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • nadams
    edited June 2009
    Check back a page, man.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • jdhdiggs
    edited June 2009
    The knights are only 35-40W depending on what tubes are loaded. The counterpoint is only 100W@8 and you have the 565 specs pretty close if not spot on above. I would say the knights pretty much disproved that whole 200W/channel theory.

CNH: The amps in the LSi room were mine, the ones in the SDA room were Noah's.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited June 2009
    damm good time is what I see.......a few questions/comments

I cannot help but wonder what strange things occurred just behind that stairwell door.........

the stairway balcony gets most creative seating arrangement at any fest/gathering............

what the heck is up with Al and a grotee, something special for you Doro, you cheater....

anyway...cool stuff.

RT1