B & K Ref30

Options
jmierzur
jmierzur Posts: 489
edited August 2003 in Electronics
I will be looking for a new pre/pro in the next few months. One I would like to audition is the REF30. The B & K web site does not list this component anymore.

Is this component discontinued? Is a newer model replacing this unit? I emailed B & K, but never got a reply.

Thanks for any info.
Post edited by jmierzur on

Comments

• polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited July 2003
    Options
    jmierzur,
    ref30 has been discontinued and replaced with reference 50. It comes with several upgrade, including balanced XLR output. You can check the full specs on www.bkcomp.com

If you are set on ref30, there are several ref30 for sale at audiogon. then, if you like to upgrade from ref30 to ref50, it will set you back about $498 thru B&K. There are several ref50 owners in the forum, including myself. Tweeter carries B&K that you can audition them. hope it helps...
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Ref 50 is perhaps the ultimate pre/pro in its price range. Top notch in all respects. If you afford it, buy it.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • jmierzur
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I stopped by the local B&K dealer at lunch. When I inquired about a Ref50, he stated that B&K imformed him that the Ref70 will be introduced soon and the Ref50 will no longer be available. The Ref70 will be fully balanced. No other information was given.

Has anyone else heard this??

I did get to listen to Wilson Maxx speakers with Sim Audio Moon equipment. I am begining to wonder why I spend so much money on a multi-channel system.
  • polkatese
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I think your dealer is smoking something...;)

Ref50 is pretty new, barely 9 months in the market, and B&K is in the process of upgrading ref20/ref30 to ref50 DACs as we speak. Btw, Ref50 is fully balanced already...
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,061
    edited August 2003
    Options
    There is no talk of a Ref70.There is however something else in the making,higher end,seperates.........no more out of me.......

The Ref50 isn't going anywhere.It's as current as can be and will be for a long while.B&K doesn't keep product on the market less then 2 years.They build there gear to last and last it does.

The ref30 is a wonderful preamp.If you can bag one cheap I say jump on it.It's a very well rounded piece and is now offered the upgrade.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • polkatese
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by mantis
    There is however something else in the making,higher end,seperates.........no more out of me.......

oh, c'mon, Dan! spill it....:D :D The next Lexicon's contender?
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,061
    edited August 2003
    Options
    I'll say this..it's going to be really high end.Giving seperates a new name.for them anyway.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • jmierzur
    edited August 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by mantis
    There is no talk of a Ref70.There is however something else in the making,higher end,seperates.........no more out of me.......

The Ref50 has balanced outputs. It is not fully balanced internally. A fully balanced pre/pro would be considered a 'higher end' separate. The dealer does not smoke anything. He is a bit eccentric, but definitely not smoking anything.

Thanks everyone.