How do I make these speakers fit?

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited December 2003 in Custom Fabrication
Hey, I just bought some new Polk db 675's for my 2000 Nissan Altima. When I went to install them in the factory door pod, the speaker wouldn't go all the way in, and I want to know what's the best way to do this. The depth was supposed to be only a little more than factory, but I wasn't aware that the speakers overall circumference would be too much to clear the factory pods. This is the first time for me to be installing speakers in a car, and I really need some help here!

Thanks,

Michael
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited August 2003
    the db 675 is what? the 6 3/4" coaxial speaker?

well the reason they may not fit would be because you probably only have 6 1/2 inch holes... in which case u need to go back to where u bought the speakers and get the 6 1/2 inch version of the db coaxial instead of the 6 3/4 inch version.

... or, you can get a chain saw, crow bar, and sledge hammer and "make" them fit. :) however i'd try swappin out for 6 1/2's before i went the chain saw route...
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Systems
    edited August 2003
    All the information I got, including Crutchfield (where I bought the speakers from) said the opening for the speaker location was 6 3/4". I don't think that is correct, but I haven't made completely sure of that. I'm going to try again just to make sure. I might need to break out the chain saw...
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2003
    good idea would be to go out there with a good accurate desk ruler and just measure it yourself... if its 6.5 then obviously you know what to do.
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited August 2003
    sometimes crutchfield's information isnt always correct
    good place to start...but its wise to follow through and check for sure
    -Cody
  • Systems
    edited August 2003
    Well I checked again, and the 6 3/4" is the right speaker size, but they don't factor in the cutout diameter. That is the problem I ran into. I wonder how many other people have had this happen to them. Oh well, I guess I learned about this the hard way so I'll just send them back and try to exchange them for something else.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited August 2003
    Why not just take a metal file and make the holes a bit larger rather than hassle yourself and send them back?

Do you realize how long it can take to continually ship, test fit, return and then ship another speaker out? Filing down a hold for a speaker is not going to reduce worth of the car and barely qualifies as customization.

I think I'd go down to a hardware store and pick up a good metal file and goto to town on those holes. Why give up the speakers you want for a smidgen of metal being in the way?
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Systems
    edited August 2003
    Its not the metal hole that is the problem, its the plastic speaker baffle that goes in that hole and holds the speaker. The new speaker is to wide around to fit in it. I wonder if I can do anything to it to make the speaker fit?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited August 2003
    Yeah, take that metal file and rub down the plastic bracket/ It's only plastic. A metal file or wood file will cut through it like butter. Just take your time and don't push too hard so you don't break it.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited August 2003
    what about removing the plastic bracket? would u have enough depth?
  • Systems
    edited August 2003
    I tried to put the speakers in without the bracket, but they wouldn't fit by a longshot. They hit the window easily. Thanks for all the suggestions guys, but I just ended up returning the speakers for some different ones. Just didn't feel like messing with them anymore.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • mekanism
    mekanism Posts: 27
    edited December 2003

If you have access to a saw I would recommend just making some speaker rings from some 3/4 MDF. You can buy the MDF at home depot for cheap and it wouldnt take that long. Or you can buy some rings online.
    THERE IS NO END TO CHERRY