sl2000T Vs sl 2000

i4gotmyid
i4gotmyid Posts: 173
edited July 2003 in Speakers
Any opinions on the replacement tweet? Is it better or just a servicable replacement?
Post edited by i4gotmyid on

Comments

• DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited July 2003
    Track down forum member rskarvan. He has speakers with the SL2000T and has compared the replacement with the original SL2000.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited July 2003
    Hey.... I'm here.

I have a set of CRS+'s with SL2000T's (the black ones).
    I have a set of Monitor 7C's with SL2000's (the clear silver dome ones).

They are both EXCELLENT tweeters.
    They are a little bit different though.

I think I prefer the black SL2000T.
    The black one appears substantially more durable.

The silver ones do sound ever so slightly more detailed.
    But, it could just be that the tweeter in the Monitor 7 has more oomph relative to the single driver in the Monitor 7 vs. the two drivers in the CRS+.

Anyway, the black SL2000T is a really good tweeter.

I wouldn't mix & match, but I'd definitely not care which set I have.

Both the SL2000 and the SL2000T are far superior to the SL2500.
    The SL3000 is much more metallic sounding.
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited July 2003
    I've got original SL2000s in my Monitor 7C mains, and the SL2000T in a home-built center along with two 6502s (which *should* be 6510s but I haven't found the extra cash just yet to give to Hbomb to take two 6510s off his hands). I also have SL2500s in Monitor 5Jr+ serving as surrounds.

I did a short comparision of the 2000 and the 2000T after the center was completed. Didn't listen back and forth to each alone, but I found no fault and have not noticed any timbre problem across the front three. That said, I'll admit that I am NOT hardcore on things like this. The difference would have to be awful and glaring for me to really care. Considering I had a small Advent center before, the frankenPolk center matches my mains great with more authority and simply more oooomph. I didn't change centers because the Advent was bad or annoying or didn't match well (it actually sounded pretty good). I changed because it meant I got to build another speaker!

Taken on its own, the 5jr+ is a really great little speaker, with enough bass to serve most music needs... we *did* buy the 5jr+ on its own merit. But I agree that the SL2500 is not quite as good a tweeter as the 2000. I happen to think the 2000 is a really great tweeter, pushing 16 years old or not.

I've got a spare 2000T. When/if... god forbid... one of my original 2000s goes, I'll put the 2000Ts in the 7s and the remaining good 2000 in the center.