custom speeker stands

superjunior
superjunior Posts: 1,632
edited April 2009 in Custom Fabrication
I'm putting together a new 7.1 system and have decided on using 2 sets of fxi a6's. I had new speeker wire ran underneeth the carpet and the carpet re-installed. To my horror, one of my workers who was helping me with the project cut the new wires to fit the old surround speeker stands :eek: :mad: :eek: :mad: :eek: So instead of wall mounting the 2 sets of surrounds(which would have been a real pain in the a$$ anyway) I'm toying with the idea of building custom stands that will hold 2 a6's each. Heavy duty stands,with Heavy duty bases(comparable to an outdoor umbrella base) putting the surrounnds at about 4 ft. and the rear surrounds at about 6 ft. Has anyone ever tried this ? Would putting both sets of surrounds so close together defeat the 7.1 experiance ? Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
panasonic th-50pz85u
pioneer elite vsx-92txh
pioneer elite bdp-05fd
emotiva xpa-3
monster power hdp 2550
sa 8300 hd dvr
sda 2b's
fronts - rti a9's
center - csi a6
surrounds - fxi a6's
sub - polk dsw pro 600
harmony one
Post edited by superjunior on

Comments

• comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    edited April 2009
    You might want to post this in a different section of the forum. This section is for car audio.

Yes, putting the speakers that close together will completely defeat the purpose of 7.1, and could potentially create some phase issues. An improperly placed 7.1 setup is going to sound worse than a properly placed 5.1 setup.
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    edited April 2009
    Could you not just splice and solder the wires back together?
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • TECHNOKID
    TECHNOKID Posts: 4,298
    edited April 2009
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Could you not just splice and solder the wires back together?
    That is what I would be tempted to do also.
    DARE TO SOAR:
    “Your attitude, almost always determine your altitude in life” ;)
  • superjunior
    superjunior Posts: 1,632
    edited April 2009
    thanks for the feedback fellas, soldering the wires back together was the first thought, but than I had this master plan for the "ultimate speeker stands", didn't know there might be a phase issue and just a bad idea of 7.1 speeker placement. I'll get those fxi's on the walls the right way.. rome wasn't built in a day... you guys are most helpful Thanks Jr
    panasonic th-50pz85u
    pioneer elite vsx-92txh
    pioneer elite bdp-05fd
    emotiva xpa-3
    monster power hdp 2550
    sa 8300 hd dvr
    sda 2b's
    fronts - rti a9's
    center - csi a6
    surrounds - fxi a6's
    sub - polk dsw pro 600
    harmony one