adjustments? placement?

gmorris
gmorris Posts: 1,179
edited July 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
I've had my R30's now for about 3 weeks. They are the first piece of my new system. I'm using an old Pioneer VSX-455 receiver that I bought back in 1996.

The receiver is rated at 110 watts per channel. It has a Bass & Treble adjustment. It also has a "Super Bass" button.

Here is my dilema: In order to get some decent bass, I've found that I need to activate the "Super Bass" button. I don't like this because it makes voices in music (mostly male) seem very throaty & sometimes a little boomy. Switching off the "Super Bass" cures this right up, but then I lose most bass sound.

I've found two somewhat acceptalbe solutions: 1. turn "Super Bass" off, turn bass knob WAY up. 2. Turn "Super Bass" on, turn bass knob WAY down. Neither of these really work though.

I think my speaker placement is pretty good, because the bass is not boomy. When I get the settings where I like the sound, the bass is just not very loud.

I am looking for some suggestions here. I don't have a subwoofer yet. Please don't suggest that I get one, because that is not in my system budget until after I get a new reciever.
Bob Mayo, on the keyboards. Bob Mayo.
Post edited by gmorris on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2003
    A few quick and inexpensive ideas that come to mind.

Do you have the speakers spiked? I'm not sure if the R series has spikes or not, if it does, spike it.

Where are the speakers relative to the back wall and corners? Moving them closer to the back wall/corners will increase bass presence, but could also affect the overall image. You might want to experiment with toe-in, if that issue rears it head.

Third, what guage/brand of speaker wire are you using? You might consider a *cheap* wire upgrade, or a 'shotgun' run (double up) of what you use now.

I'd go ahead and keep the rec 'flat'. Once you buy a new receiver, you probably won't have use for it, but some cheaper graphic eq's can be had for $20 or less, and give you a lot more options on tailoring the sound to your liking. (vs the 3band eq you have now - superbass 50~Hz? bass 100Hz? treble 10KHz)

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited July 2003
    Hello,
    Thanks for posting on the Forum. One important thing to check is speaker polarity. Take one of the speakers, either the left or right, and reverse the polarity of the connecting wires. The wire that was making the positive connection, place in the negative binding post on the speaker. The wire that was going to the negative terminal put into the positive terminal. Do this with just one of the speakers, not both. See if this makes any difference to the amount of bass you hear.
    Regards, Ken Swauger
  • gmorris
    gmorris Posts: 1,179
    edited July 2003
    Thanks to Russ & Ken for the suggestions.

First, in response to Ken. I just checked the polarity, & the speakers are indeed wired correctly. I think my problem is not a mechanical one with the speaker, just crappy equipment with not enough adjustment. The R30's produce wonderfully loud & detailed bass with the "Super Bass" on. I was actually pleasantly surprised by how well they perform. The "Super Bass" just adds a little to much to other frequencies, especially vocals.

In response to Russ. The R30's are indeed spiked. The cable I'm using is Monster Cable XPHP (12 AWG), 8 feet long to each speaker. At the speaker end, the cable is terminated with Monster Cable Quik Lock Gold Angled Spades. At the receiver end, the cabled is terminated with Dayton Audio gold pin connector. (lousy spring clips on the Pioneer)

The outside of each speaker is 25 inches from the side wall, and the back of the speaker is 20 inches from the front wall. The speakers sit next to my TV, so I didn't want to pull them to much further out from the front wall, but I'd be willing to try. Maybe I should experiment with more placement options.
    Bob Mayo, on the keyboards. Bob Mayo.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited July 2003
    Ken, keep it simple, check polarity. Like I need to tell you - good call. I've been a tech for years, and that's a GOLDEN rule to check the basics. It's too easy to make it too complicated, too fast.

Gman, your wire should be more than adequate. Placement and isolation you have pretty much nailed down. Short of some new gear on the back end, or a sub (which you've stated isn't in the cards right now), I highly suggest you look at an enexpensive EQ, and experiment a bit.

I'll check the closet, see if I have anything you can 'borrow'.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited July 2003
    Look at Russman, getting all Gorge Grand Jr. on us waaaa
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • RuSsMaN
    edited July 2003
    Hmm, is that a compliment?

Nah, I'm just being me.

Cheers,
    Rooster
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited July 2003
    meant nothing, just messing with you, the closet ref. was too much too pass up
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited July 2003
    I think your being the NEW YOU.......;)
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited July 2003
    Russ,

Oh, I follow on the closet ref. No, mine is not the *original* mc, but I'm a firm believer in quality over quantity, kind of a rule around here. ;)

Dan,

Thank you friend. I had some recent experiences in my life, nothing major, but they really put things in perspective. That is across the board, not just audio.

Cheers,
    Rooster
  • Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited July 2003
    "I had some recent experiences in my life, nothing major, but they really put things in perspective."

I'm no doctor, but that sounds like new SDA's and a conversion to Islam.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • RuSsMaN
    edited July 2003
    Man after my own heart. Good on ya brotha.

Cheers,
    Russ 'praise be to Allah' Gates
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited July 2003
    Uh huh...

Eff you, Eff him, Eff the horses you rode in on....

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut