Do I really have SDA SRS 1.2's ?

Options
bconline
bconline Posts: 14
edited July 2003 in Speakers
Hi All,

I have a pair of the SDA SRS's that I am going to put up for sale. Before I do, I'd like to know what I really have.

I was told that they were 1.2's when I bought them new. However, after reading the posts about the SRS 1.2's I am beginning to wonder. I figure if anyone knows, it is going to be one of you.

Here's what I can tell you about what I have:

* Serial Numbers are: L SDA-SRS 5017 and L SDA-SRS 5011
* Tweeters domes are clear/silver so these are not a TL version
* Crossover has 4 bolts across the top and bottom and 5 bolts in the middle
* I bought them as demo models from GoodGuys in June 1989

So, are these SRS's? or SRS 1.2's? How can I tell?

I've attached a picture in case that helps. Thanks in advance

- Brad
Post edited by bconline on

Comments

• dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Are you serious?

You have speakers like those and you don't know what they are? I mean no disrespect when I say this, I've never heard them personaly but there are many in here that have and absolutely rave about em. You should know what those speakers are, for respect purposes alone. I can't answer your question but someone here hwill. I'm sure.

Derick.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • bconline
    edited July 2003
    Options
    No offense taken Derick. I agree with you actually, which is I why I posted my question.

For 14 years there was no question in my mind that I had SRS 1.2's I've only started to question it in the last week as I read the posts here. From what I read, it is very difficult to distinguish an original SRS from an SRS 1.2.

In any case, I think the good people here will help solve this mystery.

Oh, and yes, they do sound awesome.

- Brad
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,102
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Is that how you listen to them? 2 inches apart? If so
    plz slide one over. ;) Thank you. If I am not mistaken whether or not what you speaker is will boil down to what Tweeter is in your speaker. Search for SRS, SRS 1.2, and SRS 1.2TL. Each have a different tweeter I believe. I Believe the orig and the 1.2 have different woofers to. This I am unaware of.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • i4gotmyid
    i4gotmyid Posts: 173
    edited July 2003
    Options
    6511 or 6503 that is what you are looking for, just pop open the woofers, i forget if its the right or the left set thats the 6511. if you open both and they are the same then its a SDA SRS, the 1.2 had a 6511 in one set
  • bconline
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Vr3MxStyler2k3
    Is that how you listen to them? 2 inches apart? If so
    plz slide one over. ;) Thank you.

That is just the left side. The other pair is on the right side.

Not! I've taken them out of commission, which is why I am going to sell them. A remodel of the room is forcing the sale. :( Here's how they looked installed.

-Brad
  • bconline
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by i4gotmyid
    6511 or 6503 that is what you are looking for, just pop open the woofers, i forget if its the right or the left set thats the 6511. if you open both and they are the same then its a SDA SRS, the 1.2 had a 6511 in one set

Thanks for the suggestion.

Is there any kind of seal on the woofers that I need to worry about? I kind of hesitate to open them up. But if that's the only way to tell, I'll do it.

-Brad
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited July 2003
    Options
    The easy way to tell is to look at the SDA interconnect cable. The original SRS used a "blade-blade" connector. The SRS 1.2 used a "pin-blade" connector.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • SDA SRS 1.2
    SDA SRS 1.2 Posts: 255
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Thanks Raife1! Several of us were beginning to have "identity crisis"! Verified the pin-blade, crossover has four bolts across the top, four across the bottom, and one larger one in the middle. And the owner's manual says 1.2 :) Thanks again!
    Main System: Polk SDA SRS 1.2 Speakers, Sunfire Signature 600~two Amp, Carver C-16 Preamp, Carver TX-11b Tuner, Marantz 6350Q TT, Philips CDR-775 Recorder, Teac V-707RX Cassette Deck, Signal Cable Double Run Speaker Cable

Upstairs Den: Marantz 2325 Receiver, Marantz 5220 Cassette Deck, Marantz HD-880 Speakers, Marantz 6370Q TT

Exercise (Kabuki speaker) Room: Kenwood KR-9600 Receiver, Pioneer CS-99a Speakers, Sansui SP-X9000 Speakers (not pretty, but LOUD! :) )
  • bconline
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by raife1
    The easy way to tell is to look at the SDA interconnect cable. The original SRS used a "blade-blade" connector. The SRS 1.2 used a "pin-blade" connector.

Thanks raife1!

If I understand you correctly, I have the "pin-blade" interconnect. Is the photo below the "pin-blade"?

-Brad
  • bconline
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Oops! Forgot to attach the picture.

-Brad
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by bconline
    That is just the left side. The other pair is on the right side.
    -Brad

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    Make it Funky! :)
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Ok, let me throw out my SDA ignorance.

What's the rectangle 'box' on the front of these speakers, just above the PR?

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited July 2003
    Options
    That's where the crossover resides, right behind that plate.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,461
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Dang....., those things are beautiful.

Yes, I'm drooling......
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • DarqueKnight
    edited July 2003
    Options
    bconline,

Yes, that is the pin-blade connector. Your speakers are SDA SRS 1.2s.:)
  • dthomps
    dthomps Posts: 352
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Beatiful Polk's you have there.
    Is that a Marantz receiver there is the bottom right corner of the second photo? Looks very similar to one I own, the 2225.
    Take care.
    Mike
  • DarqueKnight
    edited July 2003
    Options
    bconline,

What brand/model is that audio rack?
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Ditto on the rack question... It compliments the 1.2's very nicely... :)

The plates hold the SDA circuitry. I thought the crossovers were elsewhere based on past pics of the mod's owners have done.

bc,
    Big question I have is what are you moving to?

As for the 1.2's sale, the ebay info I've collected says you should be looking to sell at some price around $2200. Not many data points here, but a pair of mint 1.2 TL's hit $2400 a few months ago and SRS's usually bump $2000.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • bconline
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Many thanks to raife1 and i4gotmyid for helping me with my identity crisis. I'm relieved that these really are SDA SRS 1.2's. :):)

About the rack, I wish that I had better news for you, but I've only seen it once in my life. I saw it in a small furniture store near us and I bought it immediately because it was such a great match for the Polks. The store carried off-brands and I don't recall who made this one (was about 8-10 years ago). I think it was a manufacturer from the orient. FYI, there is a 32 in television and other equipment behind the doors, which side open - a nice design.

Mike (dthomps): Good eyes on spotting the Marantz in the corner. It is actually a "250M" power amp. The "250" designates the total power (125W + 125W) and "M" is for metered. It's vintage Marantz and very well made - probably like your receiver, but I am not familiar with the receiver model numbers.

Tour2ma, thanks for info on current prices. If I can get about $2000 I'll be happy - well, as happy as can be expected when giving up a set of speakers like these. :(

Oh, and thanks to all for the compliments on looks of the 1.2's :)

As for what I am moving to, I am in the process of building a home theater / music system. Initially, I was hoping to add a center, rears and a sub (is that really necessary??) to the SRS 1.2's, but the SRS 1.2's just don't fit in with the plan for the room. See the attached photo for the start of the system. The speakers are an uncommon technology from Pioneer...

-Brad
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited July 2003
    Options
    bc,

A little more on the Pioneers when you have the time please. While the wood base looks pretty nice, it doesn't look like it plus the Pioneers for the 1.2's is an even trade to me. The 1.2's would make hellacious anchors for an HT rig.

I also wonder whether center and surrounds can be found to tonally match the Pioneers.

As for your sub question. You'd have a far better chance of avoiding the need for one with the 1.2's, but if you want to get all the HT jollies to be had, you'd likely end up with one in either case.

BTW, there are two pairs of SRS's on ebay right now languishing under $1000. First pair is up today, so prices may be off right now unless there is some serious last day bidding.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • bconline
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Tour2ma,

Well, my remarks about the Pioneer speakers were a bit of a joke. I was wondering who would recognize them (as you did) as not a very satisfactory replacement for Polk's best. Hope you and the others on the forum don't mind. :D

Those really are "my father's Pioneers" My dad purchased them while in the army during the Korean war (the "first" Korean war???). Yes, they are over 40 years old now. Very nice workmanship actually and done in walnut. The sound is, well, "thin" would be kind way of putting it.

Needless to say, these are just temporary. Once I installed the low cabinets that you see in the picture, the SRS's did not fit in the room any more :(

So, I'm in the market for new speakers now. I've been looking for either wall mount or smaller towers (<40" tall, <15" deep). My problem is that I am used to the incredible dynamic range of the SRS's and an having trouble finding something that comes close in a much smaller package. On my short list are:
    Monitor Audio Silver Series
    Studio Series from Paradigm
    Rocket Series from Onix
    LSi series from Polk
    I like speakers with good treble energy and quick transient response, and have found the Monitor Audio's pleasing to my ears.

I'm also shopping for a killer sub that is not too large. (to make up for the smaller mains???)

I'd be interested in your thoughts and the forum's thoughts on my options.

-Brad