is it possible to insatall another terminal for fxi30?

Options
TheMaster
TheMaster Posts: 184
I have a fxi30 for my surround and would like to know if I can bi wire it to my onkyo receiver? I know that I have to have a speaker with two terminals in order to bi-wire it, is it possible to install another terminal to my speaker in order to apply the bi-wiring system?

Thank you for your kindness and quick response!!

Another newbie trying to learn from the pros..........
HT:

DENON AVR-3803
DENON DVM-1805
SONY DVP-NS300

SONY 36' HDTV Wega

ADCOM GFA-555
ADCOM GFA-555
ADCOM GFA-2535
ADCOM ACE-515

POLK RTi70's (Bi-Amped)
POLK CSi40
POLK FXi30's
POLK RTi38's
POLK CSi20
POLK PSW 450
SVS PB2 Plus

2 CH Stereo:

AudioSource Pre/Amp 1
Hafler DH-500
Sony CDP-CX235
Monster Cable HTS3500

SDA SRS 2.3tl
Post edited by TheMaster on

Comments

• rs159
    rs159 Posts: 1,027
    edited July 2003
    Options
    You *could*, if you were willing to mod the crossover, not a newbie project IMHO.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,052
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I would think you would need a totally new crossover. I believe so, but I wouldn't try it. I am sure some DIYers or some more experienced dudes on here can concur with an answer, but I am sure you would need a completely new crossover. Yep pretty much what Ryan said above. Mod the crossover or a new one.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • TheMaster
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Hey, thanks for your advice guys, I appreciate it. I'm just loving this club forum more and more. I think I found my new home...:)
    HT:

DENON AVR-3803
    DENON DVM-1805
    SONY DVP-NS300

SONY 36' HDTV Wega

ADCOM GFA-555
    ADCOM GFA-555
    ADCOM GFA-2535
    ADCOM ACE-515

POLK RTi70's (Bi-Amped)
    POLK CSi40
    POLK FXi30's
    POLK RTi38's
    POLK CSi20
    POLK PSW 450
    SVS PB2 Plus

2 CH Stereo:

AudioSource Pre/Amp 1
    Hafler DH-500
    Sony CDP-CX235
    Monster Cable HTS3500

SDA SRS 2.3tl
  • TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited July 2003
    Options
    however it's not always as easy as it appears. In your case you COULD bi-wire if you're not affraid of possibly **** your gear up. Honestly you need to weigh the pros and cons. To me, I doubt you would hear THAT much of a difference in bi-wiring surrounds. However if you must, it would require a new terminal cup and some x-over modifications by isolating the hi-pass x-over network and running some new leads to the new terminal cup.

Tony
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....
  • TheMaster
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Thanks tony, let me repeat what you just said to make sure I'm in the right track. install another terminal and split the wirring for the high and the low? Was this your advice?
    HT:

DENON AVR-3803
    DENON DVM-1805
    SONY DVP-NS300

SONY 36' HDTV Wega

ADCOM GFA-555
    ADCOM GFA-555
    ADCOM GFA-2535
    ADCOM ACE-515

POLK RTi70's (Bi-Amped)
    POLK CSi40
    POLK FXi30's
    POLK RTi38's
    POLK CSi20
    POLK PSW 450
    SVS PB2 Plus

2 CH Stereo:

AudioSource Pre/Amp 1
    Hafler DH-500
    Sony CDP-CX235
    Monster Cable HTS3500

SDA SRS 2.3tl
  • TheMaster
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I'm actually thinking on experimenting this to my front speakers(BOSE) before I upgrade it.
    HT:

DENON AVR-3803
    DENON DVM-1805
    SONY DVP-NS300

SONY 36' HDTV Wega

ADCOM GFA-555
    ADCOM GFA-555
    ADCOM GFA-2535
    ADCOM ACE-515

POLK RTi70's (Bi-Amped)
    POLK CSi40
    POLK FXi30's
    POLK RTi38's
    POLK CSi20
    POLK PSW 450
    SVS PB2 Plus

2 CH Stereo:

AudioSource Pre/Amp 1
    Hafler DH-500
    Sony CDP-CX235
    Monster Cable HTS3500

SDA SRS 2.3tl
  • VR3
    edited July 2003
    Options
    You would also have to do a cabinet mod, to fit the new terminals in. After you mess with the bose, light them on fire and take pictures of the drivers melting...PLEASE! I've always wanted to see something like that.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • TonyPTX
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by TheMaster
    Thanks tony, let me repeat what you just said to make sure I'm in the right track. install another terminal and split the wirring for the high and the low? Was this your advice?

That's about right. You'll have to modify the cabinet and upgrade the terminal cup to something that supports bi-wire. partsexpress.com Part Number 260-304 would work nicely (assuming there's space). As for modifying the internal cross-over network, you'll have to look at the schematic and figure out where to split the two networks up (if it's possible).
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I don't want to come off negitive or ruin your Idea here but I don't think the effort would be worth it.Rears are 99% of the time ran in small.Bi wiring does make a difference but the 30's where not designed for this or pok would have.There is reasons they are not.

Upgrade your rear wiring from the receiver to the speakers,gain better sound quality you will.

I would consider that route or buy better rears.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • TonyPTX
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Dan,

I think "Master" just wants to get his learn on here as he doesn't have any bi-wire speakers and is willing to sacrafice some Bose for the challenge. I agree with you 100% as I think this is a wasted effort, but in the sake of supporting him for educational purposes, I'm all for it at Blo$es sake :)
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Tony,
    thats fine my man.Learning is what it's all about.Killing Bose over it.....well thats another story.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I've seen a few Polk crossovers.. not only are they appropriately complicated for the quality of the drivers, but they are very compact. Most I've seen are actually built right on the rear of the terminal cup. I think you'd just about have to tear the entire thing phycially apart and rewire it in order to break the two networks electrically apart.

But... my actual question is... honestly.. how complicated are Bose crossovers? Bose gets slammed here a lot, and I know my own personal opinion of the drivers they use, but I've never heard anything about the networks used. I owned 301s way way back in the early 80s, and of course took them apart at one point, but don't remember anything about the network.

In terms of these speakers benefiting from bi-wiring - sort of seems like putting an RPM gauge on a moped. I also question exactly what "learning" would be going on here? Tearing apart a crossover? Rasping a terminal hole? Admittedly, I love to tear things apart. Some with the intention of fixing them, some to get parts, some just because its there. Just seems like there would be other resources to use to gain knowledge.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited July 2003
    Options
    TM - Unless you are a die hard DIY, and like to try things like that...its just plain not worth the hassle.

Neat idea, but why bother.

Get some better wire as Mantis suggested and call it a day.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • TheMaster
    edited July 2003
    Options
    yeah let's call it a day guys...but I appreciate your opinions with this matter. Maybe it's time to shut up and start saving money for my Polk front speakers.

Thanks a lot guys.
    HT:

DENON AVR-3803
    DENON DVM-1805
    SONY DVP-NS300

SONY 36' HDTV Wega

ADCOM GFA-555
    ADCOM GFA-555
    ADCOM GFA-2535
    ADCOM ACE-515

POLK RTi70's (Bi-Amped)
    POLK CSi40
    POLK FXi30's
    POLK RTi38's
    POLK CSi20
    POLK PSW 450
    SVS PB2 Plus

2 CH Stereo:

AudioSource Pre/Amp 1
    Hafler DH-500
    Sony CDP-CX235
    Monster Cable HTS3500

SDA SRS 2.3tl
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited July 2003
    Options
    The Master,

First welcome to the Club...

Just curious about what Bose you have that have crossovers. I thought most of their "full range" speakers utilized multiple, full range drivers and thus had no crossovers... e.g., the 901's, 301's , etc.
    :confused:
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • TheMaster
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Thank you for the warm welcome (I think you're the first since I joined in [no biggie])

I'm not so sure if that's the right model for the font speakers. I guess my friend was just guessing for the model name when I asked him for it.

thanks again...
    HT:

DENON AVR-3803
    DENON DVM-1805
    SONY DVP-NS300

SONY 36' HDTV Wega

ADCOM GFA-555
    ADCOM GFA-555
    ADCOM GFA-2535
    ADCOM ACE-515

POLK RTi70's (Bi-Amped)
    POLK CSi40
    POLK FXi30's
    POLK RTi38's
    POLK CSi20
    POLK PSW 450
    SVS PB2 Plus

2 CH Stereo:

AudioSource Pre/Amp 1
    Hafler DH-500
    Sony CDP-CX235
    Monster Cable HTS3500

SDA SRS 2.3tl
  • VR3
    edited July 2003
    Options
  • TheMaster
    edited July 2003
    Options
    thanks for rubbing it in MX. Actually, could you please say it a little more lauder becuase I don't my friend who GAVE the speakers heard you.

You maybe lucky enough to start with a nice rig but that doesn't give you the right to insult those who has a cheap set.

Thank you..

"he who knows not, knows not he knows not is a fool...."
    HT:

DENON AVR-3803
    DENON DVM-1805
    SONY DVP-NS300

SONY 36' HDTV Wega

ADCOM GFA-555
    ADCOM GFA-555
    ADCOM GFA-2535
    ADCOM ACE-515

POLK RTi70's (Bi-Amped)
    POLK CSi40
    POLK FXi30's
    POLK RTi38's
    POLK CSi20
    POLK PSW 450
    SVS PB2 Plus

2 CH Stereo:

AudioSource Pre/Amp 1
    Hafler DH-500
    Sony CDP-CX235
    Monster Cable HTS3500

SDA SRS 2.3tl
  • VR3
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Alright man, I really dont want to get into anything here. But I hate to break it down to ya, Crossovers are an important part of a speaker. It makes a speaker stop doing something when it cant and it makes it do stuff its supposed to do. IE: A Bose will bottum out without notice of doing so.

Bose uses cheap components, and they sell them for 10x the price. I did not start out with a nice rig actually. I went from a boombox to a JVC Shelf system and I have been building my current system for almost 2 years now. Its a long drawn out process, if your friend gave them to you. Then I guess it is better than having no mains. I should have never said what I said above, Tour said that - and I was like, holy sheat.

I am sorry if I offended you or any other Bose owner.
  • TheMaster
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I appologize for the wrong info about you previousely owning a bose speakers or your dad giving you one.

We should minimize the insults around here to build a strong relationship with other members most especially with new members.

Thank you,

"he who knows not, knows not he knows not is a fool..."
    HT:

DENON AVR-3803
    DENON DVM-1805
    SONY DVP-NS300

SONY 36' HDTV Wega

ADCOM GFA-555
    ADCOM GFA-555
    ADCOM GFA-2535
    ADCOM ACE-515

POLK RTi70's (Bi-Amped)
    POLK CSi40
    POLK FXi30's
    POLK RTi38's
    POLK CSi20
    POLK PSW 450
    SVS PB2 Plus

2 CH Stereo:

AudioSource Pre/Amp 1
    Hafler DH-500
    Sony CDP-CX235
    Monster Cable HTS3500

SDA SRS 2.3tl
  • VR3
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Well, basically I wasn't insulting you or your system. I know nothing about your rig. You may have the tower speakers. Which I hope to God has a crossover, because it actually has a tweeter. But I have no clue what you have, I was making a basic statement about Bose. I am sorry if you felt it was toward you or anything of that manner. Did not mean it in that way.

I hope you stay on the boards, learn like we all have, and are still doing and will be able to help other members. One day you will be able to laugh at bose all day! :cool:

BTW - What is your rig?

Are the Bose speakers towers? Do they have tweeters?
  • VR3
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Is this your speaker?

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-p7f0Jg92q5k/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=4&g=37900&I=018301VB&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N

I would think it would have a crossover of some kind. I doubt they would "free wire" so to speak with a tweeter in the cabinet. It wouldnt sound right.
  • TheMaster
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Hey man, let me tell you, I am so embarass right now I just wish someone will delete all of this comments:o

My friend, please accept my appology.

Receiver: Onkyo DS575

Fronts: Bose(ouch)
    Center: Bose (ouch again)
    Surround: Polk Audio fxi30
    Sub: Polk Audio PSW450
    HT:

DENON AVR-3803
    DENON DVM-1805
    SONY DVP-NS300

SONY 36' HDTV Wega

ADCOM GFA-555
    ADCOM GFA-555
    ADCOM GFA-2535
    ADCOM ACE-515

POLK RTi70's (Bi-Amped)
    POLK CSi40
    POLK FXi30's
    POLK RTi38's
    POLK CSi20
    POLK PSW 450
    SVS PB2 Plus

2 CH Stereo:

AudioSource Pre/Amp 1
    Hafler DH-500
    Sony CDP-CX235
    Monster Cable HTS3500

SDA SRS 2.3tl
  • VR3
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Why are you embarressed? lol!

I've never listened to the Bose center, go to Circuitycity.com and read reviews on it and that will explain it to you as of why I never have.
    Same thing about the mains..

By the way, you can delete any comments you wish, click edit -- and delete them all.

BTW - Your forgiven, for whatever....lol:cool:
  • TheMaster
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Sounds good MX, I'll check out later man....

"he who knows not, knows not he knows not is a fool..."
    HT:

DENON AVR-3803
    DENON DVM-1805
    SONY DVP-NS300

SONY 36' HDTV Wega

ADCOM GFA-555
    ADCOM GFA-555
    ADCOM GFA-2535
    ADCOM ACE-515

POLK RTi70's (Bi-Amped)
    POLK CSi40
    POLK FXi30's
    POLK RTi38's
    POLK CSi20
    POLK PSW 450
    SVS PB2 Plus

2 CH Stereo:

AudioSource Pre/Amp 1
    Hafler DH-500
    Sony CDP-CX235
    Monster Cable HTS3500

SDA SRS 2.3tl
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I'm pretty sure most Bose speakers have crossovers. They typically have a woofer (direct) and one or more angled tweeters (reflecting).

They even made a 3-way bookshelf that sounded pretty nice.

Crossovers are overrated anyways.
    Make it Funky! :)