1000 Dollars to send new Reciver

Options
redhouse
redhouse Posts: 78
edited July 2003 in Electronics
Hello, I have a buddy who is building his first Home Theater. He just picked up some Polks on sale the mains are the R50's from ABC wearhouse. Anyway he has 1000 to spend on a reciver, today we looked at the Harmon K-- at circuit city for 1000, it has all the works, even thx ultra. If you had a 1000 to send on a reciver for a family room, what would you buy and why? Thanks Redhouse
Post edited by redhouse on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,103
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Denon (No reason, everone likes them. I dont. But others like them for whatever, they must be nice. I think they suck grass! lol!), PE (great stuff, sounds awesome, look great!), Onkyo (Mediorcre receivers, not my cup of tea. But good, nothing special!), Outlaw (seems to have great value, and has a great price tag and has great reviews. 45 or 30 day in home trial) - Look there...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I don't know that I'd drop a grand on a receiver.

First of all, check harmanaudio.com for factory direct closeouts, before you buy HK anywhere else.

Second, I think I would buy a decent, high current receiver, ie, low to mid range Onkyo, Yamaha, HK, AMC, Nad, etc that had pre-outs to add external amps for some/all channels later.

Even if he doesn't want external amps, I'd still spend $500-600 TOPS on a receiver, and use the other $400-$500 for source and cable upgrades. I'd even try to bag something in the $300 range (with pre-outs) and use the monies elsewhere.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I think I read 6th Ave has got the Denon 3803 for $900. They are on authorized dealer to boot. I'm not sure if I totally agree with Russ' recommendation on price. I do agree on his recommendation on pre-outs. Your buddy will be delighted with the 3803 or many other receivers at that price range. If he's like most folks, he'll be big, fat and happy and won't upgrade for another 10 years.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN

Second, I think I would buy a decent, high current receiver, ie, low to mid range Onkyo, Yamaha, HK, AMC, Nad, etc that had pre-outs to add external amps for some/all channels later.

Cheers,
    Rooster

my h/k 520 fits that bill... do it not?

Twin
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited June 2003
    Options
    you said you buy from abc right just find the best price you can on the recever you want at abc and go there. i got my onkyo 787 for about $720 and it sold at cc for 999 also look for sothing when the upgrade bug hits you can still use. i am using my 787 as a pre till i get a real pre. look for pre ins and outs. also dts es and dd ex also a thx cert will actuley yeald sothing unlike thx speakers and amps.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I've still got my PE for sale!
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I kind of have to agree with Russ on this one. While I would go for a mid level receiver. and not a low end one. For the extra $200 - $300 you get a lot more bells and whistles. Including, component video switching, maybe 7.1 channels, dual zones, etc.

Receiver brands i'd look at would be Onkyo, Denon, Marantz, NAD, or if you want.. get into a slightly used one or discontinued model. Maybe in the likes of Onkyo 797, you might find for a good discount on open box, refurbished, etc. Some people also like Yamaha, Pioneer, and Sony. in those three brands.. look only at their upper end line of receivers.

External amps aren't neccessary.. but are a good add on to a so so receiver, that might be under powered. My Marantz SR5000 is only 70w x 5. It feels underpowered.. so i added external amps.. brings it to 125w x 5 now. good improvement over the receiver's amps.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • GZ
    GZ Posts: 343
    edited June 2003
    Options
    A grand for a reciever to power the R50's? I don't think so. Even if he is looking to upgrade the speakers sooner or later, I agree that he can spend alot less and get what he needs. If he spends $500 - $600 like Russ suggests, use the savings to upgrade elsewhere.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited June 2003
    Options
    The Sony ES line is also well within this price range. Many bells many whistles.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Frank Z
    I've still got my PE for sale!

also with some wheelin and dealing im sure franks stellar receiver would fit the bill, and be leaps and bounds above a average 500 buck receiver and with pre-outs :D
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • gshisme
    gshisme Posts: 1,038
    edited June 2003
    Options

redhouse I agree with russman's statement. That is exactly what I did with my H/K. Used the H/K 320 solo and eventually added a Rotel 1075 amp using the preouts from the H/K. By the way I was also using R50's.

Here is another option for you to consider..The H/K is up for sale. Between Frank's receiver and mine they are two very good options to consider.

Greg
    suds, suds and more suds!
  • jkratzer
    jkratzer Posts: 148
    edited June 2003
    Options
    My vote goes to the Denon 3803 for $900 because that's what I've got. ;)
    My 7.1 setup consists of:
    Denon 3803
    Panasonic DVD
    RTi70s front
    CSi40 front center
    RTi28s side surround
    FXi30s back surround
    PSW202 Subwoofer - Hey, it's my first sub!
    RCA 46" 4:3 RPTV
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Sound & Vision reviewed the Denon 2803 (? 2802?) in this month's issue, list $799. They loved it and called it a bargain.
  • Frank Z
    edited June 2003
    Options
    faster100 & gshisme,
    Thanks for the plug! Bottom line is that there are some great deals to be had with regards to used equipment. For someone just starting out, quality pre-owned gear can be a excellant way to get into 2-channel or HT.
  • redhouse
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I sold him my PE Reciver for 1500. then today went and got a B&K Reference 50 preamp and a 200.7 amplifier. I can't wait for this weekend to hook this **** up. I heard another system with it and it sounded and worked great. All I can say MORE POWER! Also I want to upgrade my polks I have 5000 grand to blow what do you suggest? Later Redhouse
  • Frank Z
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by redhouse
    Also I want to upgrade my polks I have 5000 grand to blown say MORE POWER! what do you suggest? Later Redhouse

Lsi speakers all the way around!:D

15's for mains, Lsi center, FX's for surrounds, 7's for the rear (GEE, sounds like my system, hmmm damn I'm smart!). I suggest the Sunfire sub, others will suggest SVS, REL, Velodyne, HSU, etc. You might want to check out the new Outlaw Sub while your at it.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited June 2003
    Options
    redhouse,
    congrats on the purchase of the pair! make sure you give the 200.7 plenty of room to breathe, since that monster like to spew hot lava :p
    also, you can download the SBC application form from www.mantis.com, fill 'em out, send 'em back along with a money order for $100 membership fee. Benefit includes FREE Transparent musiclink interconnect 1M....btw, the money order goes to me :)

Enjoy the pair!
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • redhouse
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Anyone ever notice that what you type comes out **** up. Like I typed, I have 5000 to blow, and it comes up 5000 grand. Where in the blue hell did the grand come from? I never typed that.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited June 2003
    Options
    oh, yeah, like Frank said. Bitchin' setup with those config!
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Janusch
    Janusch Posts: 132
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I have a denon 5800 and paid just a little over a grand for it about a year ago when they were closing them out. You should be able to get this for less then a grand now and have all the power you need 175 watts per channel (7). Does not have all the new bells and whistles, but still a great reciever. If you look hard you may be able to get on that has been upgraded so it is basicly the new 5803.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by polkatese
    also, you can download the SBC application form from www.mantis.com, fill 'em out, send 'em back along with a money order for $100 membership fee. Benefit includes FREE Transparent musiclink interconnect 1M....btw, the money order goes to me :)
    Don't forget the free tee-shirt...

Congrats, redhouse,

If your friend is half as happy as you are, then you're twice as happy as him...

Whatever Polks you opt for, watch for falling prices with the new RTi series hitting in a month or two.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by redhouse
    All I can say MORE POWER! Also I want to upgrade my polks I have 5000 grand to blow what do you suggest? Later Redhouse

Most likely it went into brown glass returnables.:)

I too would go with a less expensive receiver and put the difference toward connections and amps.

I'd look for a receiver with pre-outs & learning remote, better outlets (dedicated line?), room acoustics, cables, interconnects, etc. Then again that's just me trying to spend somebody else's money.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • dcorrea
    dcorrea Posts: 80
    edited June 2003
    Options
    The Harman Kardon AVR525 can be found at jandr music world online for 699 free shipping and no tax(except for NY). Its an awesome receiver with 70x7 @ .07THD. Its 85w in stereo. JandR music world is an authorized online HK distributor according to the HK website. Sure beats the Circuit City price of 999.
    HK AVR 525
    Polk RTi-100 Fronts
    Polk RTi-38 Rears
    Polk CSi-40 Center
    Polk FXi-30 (have nowhere to put them just yet)
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,061
    edited July 2003
    Options
    you can download the SBC application form from www.mantis.com, fill 'em out, send 'em back along with a money order for $100 membership fee. Benefit includes FREE Transparent musiclink interconnect 1M....btw, the money order goes to me

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

ok,
    thousand bucks to spend....1st question.

Many good 1k receivers out there.If you stick with rt series speakers I can think of no better then the Denon avr3803.Loaded with features and packs harmony with rt series speakers.

Now having 5k to spend on what............
    You just bought B&K sepereates..(check goes to me polkatese,and you send the Free Transparent....LOL) Lsi is a good way to go.I would listen first,then decide.Strong competition would be Vienna Acoustic,B&W cdm series,Dynaudio Audience series,Totem,Definitive Technology.

Sub's I feel there are 2 companies that stand above the rest.Rel is my first choice and Velodyne is my second.Velodyne HGS series.REL I perfer the Q201E,which is a killer small sub and still hits to 20Hz,the Strata III sealed and very musical then theres the Storm III,man I don't know how much better you can get...this thing has finesse with music like it just becomes apart of the main speakers and rocks theater with super low extention.

Don't forget about high quality interconnects.I believe the best connection for the B&K sepereates would be balanced KimberKable Hero's.Kimber 8tc speaker wire, Hero Interconnects and sub cable.Maybe DV30's for digital coax.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Don't forget about Sony ES line. :)

I can drive my RTi's all day at great levels and not break a sweat on the receiver, could set a baby's butt on top and he would giggle I bet.....and mine is not close to 1K.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited July 2003
    Options
    maybe marantz? denon and marantz are now the same company but hey they hjave different receivers. i am going to bu t eh sr7300 as soon as I have the funds together which should be by the end of july. good luck.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited July 2003
    Options
    maybe marantz? denon and marantz are now the same company but hey they hjave different receivers. i am going to bu t eh sr7300 as soon as I have the funds together which should be by the end of july. good luck.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,061
    edited July 2003
    Options
    respect them greatly.They have been making great products for many many years.....

A merger with Denon ,there is another..........
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • wlrandall
    wlrandall Posts: 440
    edited July 2003
    Options
    For what it's worth, Fry's has the H/K AVR8000 down to $999. Not a bad price for someone wanting to upgrade their 5.1 setup.
  • Double_S
    Double_S Posts: 56
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Another vote for Denon. I have a 2803 and enjoy it:)