My new Cat-5's

Options
gshisme
gshisme Posts: 1,038
To satisfy my curiosity as to the sound of cat-5 cable for speaker connections I decided on assembling some for the LSi15 mains and the LSiC center with the Rotel powering them. Gidrah braided them for me and I stripped and terminated them using Rat-Shack crimp-on gold plated bananas (# 278-321), solderless ring terminals, the Gold Series (# 278-334) and heat shrink tubing from Lowes (sizes 3/4x4 and 3/8x4). All connections were soldered..first couple being a little ugly but got the hang of it after a little practice. Rat-Shack didn't have spades in stock so I cut the ends off the ring terminals to use as spades. Used the bananas on the speaker ends and because of the bi-wire configuration the amp ends were quite large in diameter and thus limited me to the ring terminals. I would have preferred bananas.
Just thought I'd share my first creative endeavor at assembling cable.

I'll wait for some burn-in before doing a sound comparison to the Monster and Transparent speaker cables. Mark informs me this could take a little while since these things are so thick. Based on a short listen I must say they are missing some of the natural sound I'm used to hearing..especially in the middle to lower end and sibilance is evident. But to make it fair I'll give them some time.
Here is a pic:
suds, suds and more suds!
Post edited by gshisme on

Comments

• pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Those look cool dude. Nice job. It's cool to hear the difference between transparent and other types of wire. I'm still amazed at the differences that wire can make on the same equipment (if your equipment is revealing enough to hear it at least; I would say that Rotel and LSi are revealing enough for sure). With the laid-backness of the LSi and the slightly forward sound of Rotel, wires can either accentuate the forwardness or open up the laid-backness without sounding bright or sibilant at the same time.

PJ
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Wow, Mark actually sent you some? I was *supposed* to have mine a couple months ago! ;)

Looks like a good job, how many individual cables are in the braid?

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Threads like this make me want to change my wire on my rig. Then, I turn it on, and say HEY! It sunds good enough for me!!! BTW === Nice wire dude! Bet they sound awesome after they break in! Blue.............................
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • gshisme
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by pjdami
    With the laid-backness of the LSi and the slightly forward sound of Rotel, wires can open up the laid-backness without sounding bright or sibilant at the same time.

pjdami,

I think the Transparents do a great job of this. Again let me say I got to give the cats a fair shake with break-in since the Trans are already well broken in.

Russman,

lots and lots and lots! My fingers will attest to that. Not really sure how many really. Wish I had some extra lying around to let you know. Someone on the forum should know.

Greg
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited July 2003
    Options
    G - Those look pretty neat. I'd be interested to hear about them.

Russ - Was I suppossed to send you some? Holy shite man, I am sorry if I forgot. How much did you need?
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2003
    Options
    He said 'Gidrah' braided them, that was the Mark I was referring to. I don't think you and I ever talked about it, but I guess we could eh? ;)

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Oh ok, yea I can hook you up homeslice, let me know. ;)

Mark is a cooler name than Russ apparently, :D
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Greg,
    lookin' good! do let us know how it sounds once broken in.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited July 2003
    Options
    This link looks promising for those interested.
    http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/network/cable/

Each wire has 4 separate twisted pairs, correct? How many of those sets of 4 do you use for a speaker wire??

Why Cat-5 cables/wires?
  • TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by burdette
    Each wire has 4 separate twisted pairs, correct?

Correct! Standard Cat 5 has 4 pairs of twisted cable in each blue jacket.

How many of those sets of 4 do you use for a speaker wire??

From the looks, I would say 6 wires for each run. (3 pairs for the braiding)

Why Cat-5 cables/wires?

Firstly, its pretty inexpensive, widely available, twisted pair construction is designed for reduced signal loss (back EMF), small conductors reduce (eddie current signal flow), and each individual conductor of plendem grade CAT5e is insulated w/teflon reducing crosstalk, and uneven signal flow due to uneven contact.

gshisme good looking stuff. I lost interest in my CAT5 project w/ the amount of time needed to put into it. I went as far as to rip the blue jacket off and braid individual twisted pairs. My fingers couldn't take it. That plus to braid 3 9' pairs took about an hour each...maybe if I can get some slave labor...
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited July 2003
    Options
    It's the right Idea with the wrong wire.Cat5E is what it is,it's not speaker wire boys.....I hope it was fun and cool,the wires look nice........very nice.I'm intrested in how you guys actually think they sound.

Review please.
    Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I've read that it's a cheap way to get some good sound if you're willing to put the effort in. I'm interested in reading a review. Never heard the stuff myself.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Greg - You're probably lucky the RS spades were out of stock. I got some of the biggest ones I could find and they were too small. Lucky for somebody they are just crimped on.

I look forward to a good comparison between the 3. These definately are not the end all wire for every system and taste, but they will trounce anything close in price.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • gshisme
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Mark,

The ring terminals worked perfectly. Fit around the cables like a glove. Just took a few minutes of snipping and filing to convert to spades.

Had a "basement" musician friend of mine over tonight to listen to a couple of cuts he mixed from his band and it sounded great. These guys are damn good..The mixes sounded better than a lot of store bought CD's I have in the rack.

Greg