Monitor 10 drivers stuck/frozen

Options
atom
atom Posts: 1
edited July 2003 in Troubleshooting
Hello. I just recieved a pair of Polk Monitor 10 speakers which were shipped to me. Upon unpacking I noticed that both 6.5 inch drivers in one of the speakers are stuck/frozen. When I press in on the bottom passive radiator there is no movement of the two 6.5 inch drivers. I removed the drivers and took a look but can see no visible damage. Ideas?? Fixes?? Thanks.
Post edited by atom on

Comments

• burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited July 2003
    Options
    You'll get a variety of responses, but eventually you'll be directed to Polk customer service. Contact them and chat about it.

I will tell you that IF the determination is made that you need to replace drivers, check on the Flea Market forum before you drop the money on brand new drivers.

Where/who were these shipped from? Were they supposed to be in working order upon arrival? Is an insurance claim possible?

polkcs@polkaudio.com
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Why don't you hook them up and make sure they work or not?
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • james67nikon
    james67nikon Posts: 6
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Hello! I have the same problem with a set of Monitor 10's.

When you push the 6.5" drivers you may hear a grinding, scratchy sound as well as being very stiff, that is hard to move the cones back and forth. You probably have drivers that are blown. The wires in the Voice Coil become damaged.

Polk customer service has replacement drivers. Just remove the damaged drivers and on the back will tell you the model # driver.

Odds are you will have either the 6501MW or the 6503MW
    (MidWoofer) depending on year of model. The replacement 6501MW's are still available but, the 6503MW's are out of stock for another month or so until polks new vendor for the 6503MW's passes all of polks quality control.

Make sure to check out the threads in the "Trouble Shooting" area as you will find alot with "frozen and stuck drivers.

Good Luck