Rear surrounds ....No sound

Options
BigBoneDee
BigBoneDee Posts: 27
edited July 2003 in Troubleshooting
Hello all . I have the rm 7600 speaker set . Running this is the Yamaha 1300.

I get sound from all speakers when listening to music and when seeing TV the Entertainment mode. However when watching a regular tv program on any of the DSP modes no sound come out of the rear speakers even TV theater mode. What gives?

I havent tried a Digital movie in my dvd player cause I dont have one yet but I thought that I could get surround sound effects from just watching regular TV movies on TV, no?

Any comments welcomed.

PS . I do have the rear channel set to on in my receiver so thats not the problem and like I said I get soundwhen playing regular music.
Post edited by BigBoneDee on

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    edited July 2003
    Options
    On TV - you will have very little surround action. Remember TV is mono, sometimes stereo, and yet there is still little to no surround action.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Cable TV? If you have RCA outs on the back of your cable box, you can run those right into your receiver. If so you can listen to television in pro logic TV mode, where you'll have the use of your surrounds.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Digital Cable has alot of surround actions, but the main thing playing through my surrounds during TV at my mom's house is static and ocasional noise. At my Dad's, he has digital cable and it sees alot of surround action.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I have digital cable, and i have the S-video and digital coax hooked from my cable box to the receiver and i love watching movie channels and music in dolby digital.. I have a dolby digital compatable box,
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited July 2003
    Options
    As mentioned, you need either your audio outputs on the TV or Sat/Cable box running to your receiver in order to use it in a surround format.

I believe that the only way to get surround effects is when the broadcast signal is in DD. I have not noticed surround sound when watching plain TV, unless that was the case.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Big,

I owned the RX-V1300 a few months ago and am familiar with its setup.

You should run analog interconnects between your cable box to the CBL/SAT analog inputs on the receiver.

Additionally, if you have digital cable, you also need to run an optical digital cable to the CBL/SAT optical input on the receiver. From the menu you can put this in AUTO detect, meaning the receiver will detect a digital signal from movie channels / digital channels and will give you a significant increase in sound quality over analog. When watching non-digital channels, the AUTO will use the analog input. You must have both connected analog and digital in order for this to work or you will always just have analog input. If you don't have an optical cable you can use the SPDIF digital coaxial cable to one of the receiver digital inputs but have to reassign that input to CBL/SAT from the menu.

It can get a little confusing as this AVR has a LOT of features. The manual is very good though and all of this is found in there.

Also have you calibrated your system with a decibel meter? For the speakers you have you should be running them all small, SUB YES (if you have a sub).

Hope this helps. Let us know..
    Paul
  • pjdami
    edited July 2003
    Options
    For the speakers you have you should be running them all small, SUB YES (if you have a sub).

Big,

Ignore this advice. It is not optimal for the satellite speakers you have. Forgot about the low end frequency drop-off on those guys.

Looks like Doc took care of you on the other thread about the bass management.

Paul
  • BigBoneDee
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Ok , OK, guys sounds good thankyou. Pjdami I got everything I think but lets see.....

I I have a HDTV Sony. Should I hook up every thing else from the tv to my receiver the way its normally done and additionally do the above or should something change here too?

Also above you mentioned that , " Additionally if you have digital cable , which I do , that I should run optical dig. cable to the CBL/Sat optical input on receiver. This should be run from the cable box to the receiver correct? Now what will it say on the cable box where this cable is supposedly starting from?
  • pjdami
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I I have a HDTV Sony. Should I hook up every thing else from the tv to my receiver the way its normally done and additionally do the above or should something change here too?

Hmmm, I think you mean running the audio out on the TV to your receiver. I have always chosen the other method, running the analog (R / L) patch cords, interconnects directly from the back of the cable box to the receiver. This is the purest mode in theory because you bypass the tv. Your tv may or may not have sound this way too based on if you are running cable wire from your cable box to your tv for video or if you are using a 'S' video cable for video picuture to your tv. Its all a matter of convenience for some people and the way they like to have their A/V system set up.

What kind of digital cable box do you have and the model number?

Look on the back of your cable box and see if it has a digital optical out. If its a newer model it may but it should at least have a digital coax out plus the analog (R / L) out. The digital coax out looks like a rca female connection (analog) but has an orange inner circle on the connector which is visible.

Do you have these on the back of your cable box?

Are you running 'S' Video cable or three wires from the cable box to the tv (component video), or are you just running regular ole RG6 cable from your box to the tv?

Sorry for all the questions... don't mean to throw them all back at you but I'm trying to understand how your system is set up so that we can give you good advice.

Paul
  • BigBoneDee
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Ok I thought I might post what the back of my bcable box has.

It has an s- video out, an Audio out L , an audio out R and a digital audio out.

So now from where on the cable box will these analog interconnects plug into in the CBL box and how many of them ?
    Since I have a digital audio out on the cable box does this mean I can forget the two analog interconnects and just use the Digital audio output on cable box and connect this to the receiver input . Will this one cable go into a digital audio input on receiver.

Also I guess this optical digital cable PJ mentioned is going to run from the S- video out to the CBL/sat optical input on receiver . Is this right ?

Or is what I wrote up here all wrong and all I need to do is run the two analog interconnects from the audio out r and L into analog inputs on receiver and also run that digital audio cable from the digital audio out on cable box to the CBl/Sat optical inputs on receiver?

If so then how can I make use of that S- video out on my cable box . What exactly is it doing there ?

Finally..... Anybody still there:o :o:o Why am I running both the analog cables and optical digital cables?
  • BigBoneDee
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I have the Explorer 2100 by Scientific Atlanta. I have Time Warner Digital but they offer a better HDTV box I just dont the name.
  • pjdami
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Since I have a digital audio out on the cable box does this mean I can forget the two analog interconnects and just use the Digital audio output on cable box and connect this to the receiver input .

No. If your cable company still has both analog and digital channels you will have to run some patch cords (interconnects) between your cable box and your Yamaha (CBL/SAT) audio inputs on the back of your receiver. You will get sound this way on all channels digital or analog but the digital channels will sound better with a digital cable as well hooked up as I mentioned above.

Now for the video part. You have two choices here. You can route all your video through the receiver input and send the video outputs on the back of the Yamaha to your tv. this saves on using remotes. Or you can go straight from the cable box to the tv with video cables. This is the way I like to do it since I bypass the receiver for video although I have to use the tv remote to change video inputs. 'S' video is better than regular cable and component video is even better.
    Also I guess this optical digital cable PJ mentioned is going to run from the S- video out to the CBL/sat optical input on receiver . Is this right ?

This is incorrect. Optical digital is gets converted to an audio signal and S-video is a video signal using a cable that has 4 little pin connectors.

For starters, run a patch cord interconnect (red and white plugs) that came with your receiver from the analog (red and white) plugs on the back of your cable box to the CBL/SAT audio connection on the back of your receiver and see if you get surround on the cable channels from there. All this other stuff is optimization / getting the performance out of the green you paid for all of your equipment.

Do you have your manual for your Yamaha receiver? You should read over it as it explains a lot of this. I'm guilty of not reading instruction manuals myself, but this setup can get a little confusing with all the wires and stuff.

Sorry about the long post and getting you more confused but we want you to get the best possible performance out of your system. Could you call the person who installed all of this for you to help out as well? There are so many options / methods to do this that it is kind of hard to do online like this. But we can try..

Paul
  • BigBoneDee
    edited July 2003
    Options
    I am running just one cable from outside somewhere PJ and into my cable box and then out to the TV or vcr I think and from here to TV . Pj you mentioned something about another better option?

What will be the differences in video image if any?
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited July 2003
    Options
    if your sat box has a digital optical output. run that to your receiver and all will be cool. I do that and no other audio cable is needed. the optical cable will give you the best sound. on your cable box menu you may have to enable the optical output first tho.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin: