Tube Guru's unite. I need some advice please.

treitz3
treitz3 Posts: 18,230
edited June 2009 in Electronics
You ever notice how on the bottom of tubes, the pins usually look like crap? Well, with Caig-Deoxit and all of the other things we do to tweak our rigs, I'd like to ask the tube guys a question seeing as how I'm really getting into tubes on my audio journey lately.

Beyond the De-oxit, can you take the pins and make a custom Dremel tool attachment [I have an idea in mind] and clean the pins down to the original metal, polish them and then De-ox them without any damage to the tube itself?

Anybody tried it yet with measurable or sonic results?

I would imagine that the results would speak for themselves after having the tubes just sit there for years and years. Sorry for the "newbie to tubes" question but I'm interested in seeing what the common approach is to cleaning and restoring the pins on each individual tube.

Talk to me. Let me pick your brains for some wisdom.
~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
Post edited by treitz3 on

Comments

• ShinAce
    ShinAce Posts: 1,194
    edited March 2009
    Since a tube won't last forever, you don't have to worry too much about preserving the metal of the pins.

However, they use very little current, so the cleanliness of the connection is less of an issue.
  • treitz3
    edited March 2009
    ShinAce wrote: »
    However, they use very little current, so the cleanliness of the connection is less of an issue.
    Speaking from experience on a multitude of other electronic devices, I would agree to disagree on that. Thanks for your input nonetheless.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited March 2009
    I use a jewelry polisher that came with my dremel set and a few drops of De-Oxit on all my tubes and other connections. Not sure of the results . . . I've never not done it. It's just something I do now just in case.
  • treitz3
    edited March 2009
    So I'm not the only one........
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited March 2009
    I think Doro goes through a gallon a year.;)
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited March 2009
    I think Doro does shots of it.

I also use it on my tube's pins/sockets.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • treitz3
    edited March 2009
    Has anybody had the pins re-coated with silver or gold?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited March 2009
    Hello,
    I use Flitz and a boat load of Q-tips to clean the tube pins. If you are patient and spend some time cleaning you can get them quite free of tarnish. I've been testing tubes and get sporadic or no transconductance reading, nothing moving on the meter, then thoroughly clean the pins and they work flawlessly.
    As to gold plating, I'm not sure how that would be done, but there are some special application tubes from Telefunken that came with gold plated pins. In a perfect world the contact sleeves, in the tube socket, would be made of the same metal. Also, too many layers of core metal and plating can be a problem, creating a slight "diode" effect. Probably not a major factor in the overall scheme of things.
    Regards, Ken
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited March 2009
    I have used many things to clean pins, a few internal organics included, however, this was not intentional, but offered for informational purposes and to put images in your head.

Just be careful and do not fat-finger the tube, while you are it, clean the tube socket, a pipe cleaner will do the trick for that.

RT1--Tubes Rule.
  • treitz3
    edited March 2009
    Thanks gentlemen. I appreciate your input.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited March 2009
    You can try this and let us all know how it works:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tube-Treatment-for-12AX7-6SN7-EL34-6550-6922-FREE-SHIP_W0QQitemZ350171323459QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintage_Electronics_R2?hash=item350171323459&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262

I bought some tubes from this seller (Highly recommended!!), and almost convinced me to try this thing.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Poee7R
    Poee7R Posts: 904
    edited March 2009
    The only thing I've ever done is a little bit of extra find sand paper to a few pins. Ive been lucky so far, not getting too many that were in bad shape.

The only common thing I see these days is bent pins for some reason. Even brand new from a shop, bent all outa whack. Groove Tube pin thing to the rescue, best two dollars I've ever spent haha.

Dave
    Once again we meet at last.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited March 2009
    Ricardo wrote: »
    You can try this and let us all know how it works:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tube-Treatment-for-12AX7-6SN7-EL34-6550-6922-FREE-SHIP_W0QQitemZ350171323459QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintage_Electronics_R2?hash=item350171323459&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262

I bought some tubes from this seller (Highly recommended!!), and almost convinced me to try this thing.
    Sonic Craft also carries it.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited March 2009
    I've used a small buffing wheel with my Dremel and on some really bad ones, I used a very fine wire wheel. Remember, never touch the glass with bare hands, always wear cotton or even latex gloves.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• reeltrouble1
    edited June 2009
    Thought I would bring this one back with a bit of tale.

Over the past couple weeks one of the Wolcott's was having trouble biasing all of its eight EL-34 output tubes. Each tube has a small light that turns on when the tube is biased properly by the auto circuit, well different tubes would not bias when I turned the amp on, I could "wiggle and jiggle" the tube a bit, hit the reset and then get it to bias with the light indicator coming on as well.

Well two days ago I gave the pins and sockets a thorough cleaning, ever since everything works perfectly, auto bias is faster and all the tubes bias, what more the SQ improved, kind of like when you clean your connects and reconnect.

Regular preventative maintenance for the sockets and pins will be routine from this point on.

RT1
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited June 2009
    One thing that I've recently learned regarding "autobias",is that the performance may be improved with tubes thar are "dc" matched as well,,, which makes sense,,Ted,,how do/are you cleaning the socket,I've not done that and I suppose I should,,any specific's?

edit---nevermind,,, pipe cleaner,,eh?.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • reeltrouble1
    edited June 2009
    yep, works like a dream, uh, for those new to things, make sure you unplug the amp.

Edit: well Tom, these days somebody will not and say it's my fault.:eek:

RT1
  • treitz3
    edited June 2009
    uh, for those new to things, make sure you unplug the amp.

RT1
    Now that there's funny. I don't care who ya' are. :D:D:D
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited June 2009
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Now that there's funny. I don't care who ya' are. :D:D:D

Unless it happened to you,:eek:,just kidding,, kinda reminds me of the "darwin awards" movie that I saw recently.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    Resurrected from the dead . . .

I've read 90% isopropyl alcohol or any naturally acidic liquid like lemon/lime juice works, too

What the h3ll . . . TARN-X will do!

Constructive thoughts are welcome
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    I'm like Jesse i use a stainless steel brush after a soak in 100% deoxit solution not that weak 5% stuff. The green scotch pad works as well.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    @lightman1 uses his tongue
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.