John Mayer "Room for squares"

Options
mantis
mantis Posts: 17,061
edited July 2003 in Music & Movies
Picked this up as well.

If you like Dave Mathews,your most likely to dig this dude.
This cd(wish like hell it was released on sacd)is recorded very good.

Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
Post edited by mantis on

Comments

• GuitarheadCA
    GuitarheadCA Posts: 400
    edited June 2003
    Options
    wish like hell it was released on sacd
    ya' know I find myself saying this quite a bit - although I tend to replace "SACD" with "DTS cd" due to hardware restrictions.
  • north51
    north51 Posts: 66
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I was told this very thing by many people, as I'm a huge Dave fan. I found that John Mayer was too mellow, without enough other instruments. It seems that any songwriter that plays guitar is now being compared to Dave Matthews. It's not like I hated it, but I was expecting something that caught my attention more. Jack Johnson is the same way, although after listening to him for a while, I really enjoy both of his albums.

Did you hear John Mayer's live album, as I haven't heard that.
  • mantis
    edited June 2003
    Options
    No I haven't but I would like to.This is my first cd by him.

Comparing him to Dave..well I felt his voice was close and writing was soft of similar.It's within the same style.Dave is more Pop and funky..I like Dave Better but John Mayer is like you said more mello......and I dig that.

Jack Johnson huh..haven't heard his stuff,is it on sacd???If not I would still like to check him out.I'm always game for new music.
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Jack Johnson isn't bad.I just listened to some of his stuff.He's pretty good.Same type of style.

I will agree with you there's only one Dave.......
    Dan
  • lonney
    lonney Posts: 27
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I think dave is too Political in his tunes while John is more of an upbeat talkin bout love and growing up with alot of jazzy overtones and chord progressions,....I prefer Mayer to Dave as im not a political type of person so dave growing up in S.Africa has alot to do with the music he writes same as John Mayer 2 different and distinct sounds thanx for the space!:)
    MY SETUP:
    Hitachi 43"FWX20B HDTV Widescreen
    Panasonic SA- HE100-Receiver
    Paisley Research Ref 1-Fronts
    PolkAudio CSi40-Center
    PolkAudio R15's on stands-Rears
    PolkAudio PSW 202-Sub
    All Monster Cable THX Cert. 16Guage spk wire
    All Monster Cable THX cert. Connections
    JVC XV-N44 DVD W/Monster THX cert.Component and Optical Cables
  • GuitarheadCA
    GuitarheadCA Posts: 400
    edited June 2003
    Options
    As far as Dave goes, (Coming from a very loyal, longstanding fan)
    I think his only really political album was Everyday (not his best either). I'm not political at all, although I do think it's more of Dave just having the raw staying power to voice whatever he's thinking. I read an article that briefly compared them to U2 in the one sense that many song writers wouldn't touch the stuff they're not afraid to publish. I don't know how well ya'll know Dave, but if you like the softer sound of Jack and John (whom I also like), try out his first album- Remember two things. It's got a much softer sound, and is really a good representation of where the band started out from. I once listened to that back to back with Live at Folsom Field (his very latest) and they're been a distinct change in sound through 14 recording years of DMB. But alas, most great bands change over time.
    It seems that any songwriter that plays guitar is now being compared to Dave Matthews
    Well that's easy- people tend to compare things to the best :-)
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I got Room for Squares WAY before anyone knew about it and still listen to it quite often. very good recording!

If you guys like John Mayer and Jack Johnson check out Pete Yorn also. He's got a pretty similar sound, acoustic rock. Both his albums are pretty good.

Musicforthemorningafter

Day I Forgot

For a more eclectic acoustic rocker check out Bob Schneider. He's from Austin, TX and used to date Sandra Bullock. All his CD's have a different sound. I think Lonelyland is his best CD.

Check 'em out.
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • mantis
    edited June 2003
    Options
    very cool...........man I love new music......
    Dan
  • jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Hey Mantis did you recieve that CD yet?
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
  • mantis
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Yes I did and thanks.I listened to it briefly......sounds good so far.
    Dan
  • bgaskins
    bgaskins Posts: 65
    edited July 2003
    Options
    If you guys like john mayer you should think about picking up his dvd. If you have never seen him live this is a good idea of what one of his shows is like. Sounds pretty good too.
    BG
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Some of you need to get into the Indie scene. You'd have no idea what you're missing. John Mayer is nothing compared to some of the artists that are out there. Thats not meant to be a slam on Mayer, because I do like him, but I can't get over his Berklee School of Music background. It makes his songs so predictable.