impedance

Options
Airplay355
Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
edited July 2003 in Speakers
does the impedance of a speaker ever change based on what the speaker is playing? can anyone give em some details on impedance?

also running speakers parallel (sp) will drop the impedance? EX. two 8 ohm speakers will have a 4 ohm load?

what would happen if you tried to run a 4 ohm load from a receiver that can only handle 8 ohm loads?

will running speakers in parallel (sp) that are 8 ohm on a receiver that can handle 4 ohm loads cause a volume drop? or any performance drop?

does the size of the speakers you are running in parellel (sp) have any effect? EX. two rti100s (not that i would do this) on the left channel and two on the right? would this provide any performance enhances?

what about mixing speaker models to get a better frequency response? EX. rti100s and rti38?

what about mixind speaker impedances? would a 4ohm and an 8 ohm speaker in parallel make a 6ohm load?

would mixing the rti line ans the lsi line speakers in parellel be a good idea? would this yield any benefits?

sorry for the list.....once i started i couldnt stop.....just pic your favorite questions i guess lol, or answer it all in one paragraph or idc dont answer at all lol :p

sorry again if this is against forum rules somewhere or if im not following good forum manners, please correct me, its the only way i will learn.

thanks
Post edited by Airplay355 on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2003
    Options
    does the impedance of a speaker ever change based on what the speaker is playing? can anyone give em some details on impedance?

*Certain speakers may have impedance dips at low frequencies. (and some spikes at high freqs, but we're concerned with impedance drops here, no?)

also running speakers parallel (sp) will drop the impedance? EX. two 8 ohm speakers will have a 4 ohm load?

*Yes, 4ohm

what would happen if you tried to run a 4 ohm load from a receiver that can only handle 8 ohm loads?

*The internal amps will run hotter, depending on the model, some may overheat, shutoff, or go into a 'protection' mode.

will running speakers in parallel (sp) that are 8 ohm on a receiver that can handle 4 ohm loads cause a volume drop? or any performance drop?

*2 8ohm speakers ran in parallel would be 4 ohm, if the rec can handle it, no issues with volume/performance

does the size of the speakers you are running in parellel (sp) have any effect? EX. two rti100s (not that i would do this) on the left channel and two on the right? would this provide any performance enhances?

*Actually, it could. Some larger passive (rti100 has an active section, so for this scenario, it's essentially an rti38) speakers may have impedance 'dips', esp at low frequencies. This could easily drop your 'rigged' 4ohm load down to 2 or less. I don't see any real performace advantages, except increased power handling, and you may get into some funky positioning/soundstage.

*what about mixing speaker models to get a better frequency response? EX. rti100s and rti38?

Don't see any improvements with this scenario. The 100 and 38 are the same speaker, essentially (passive sections).

*what about mixind speaker impedances? would a 4ohm and an 8 ohm speaker in parallel make a 6ohm load?

Yes, 6ohm.

*would mixing the rti line ans the lsi line speakers in parellel be a good idea? would this yield any benefits?

I'd say no. Would it hurt anything (other than the sound), no, but I see no benefits here.

Cheers,
    Rooster

Just fyi, wiring in 'series' does the exact opposite to impedance that wiring in 'parallel' does.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Russ,

I commend you for taking the time to tackle this post. Good responses to the questions.

I hate to get too technical or picky but doesn't the speaker parallel impedence follow resistor laws?

Then for a 4 ohm and an 8 ohm speaker in parallel:

1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 = 1/4 + 1/8 = 0.375

Rt = 2.66 ohms not 6 ohms.

If two 8 ohms speakers in parallel make a 4 ohm load total then the 4 and 8 in parallel should be lower eh?

Probably just an oversight while you were indulged with answering all the other quesions. -2 for a 98 / 100 :) Still an "A" though.;)
  • RuSsMaN
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Hmmm.

God I hate it when I'm forced to actually *think*.

I fubared the Atrium post on impedance, but corrected it.

So, for all intents and purposes (all in parallel):

8 and 8 =4
    8 and 4 =3
    4 and 4 =2

Now, for fun, lets look at the wiring options for the vc's on THIS speaker.

Following the rule above, 7.2ohm wired in parallel, 12 in series?

Thanks for setting me straight.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited July 2003
    Options
    well the whole purpose to this post was to figure out what running speakers in parallel would do to my receiver. I wanted to do this because I thought it might be a sloution to the lack of midrange in thr rti100s, but stupid me russ u are right, they are just the damn rti38:( ****, so adding an rti38 to each rti100 would only give me a DB boost and nothing else? is there a speaker i can add that will help with that or am i stuck?
  • pjdami
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Airplay,

Adding speakers to existing speakers is a rather unorthodox way of trying to achieve what you want. You might wind up mixing different sensitivities of speakers (louder vs. softer) and putting strange loads on your amp / receiver You should go listen to some speakers that give you the midrange you are after and plan on some upgrade path. Its the easiest and best way. Just what I would do and have done in the past.

Paul
  • RuSsMaN
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Actually, some members have found benefits.

http://thomas2307.homestead.com/thomasworld.html

That is the website for member 'TrappedUnder Ice'. It's acting like its not coming up in browser, he used to be active in the home audio sections, I see him mostly in the car audio sections now.

Nice guy though, I'm sure he wouldn't mind you emailing him through the forum. Last I recall, he had RT1000's with RT35's 'stacked' on top, wired in parallel, and enjoyed the results.

Also, check out Scottvamps center channel in the showcase, a couple other members have duplicated his wiring scheme with good results.

It's your ears brotha.

Cheers,
    Rooster
  • RuSsMaN
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Actually, it looks like 2000's and 55's.

Here's the pic, site was slow, but finally loaded.

Cheers,
    Rooster
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,061
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Airplay355,
    there is no such thing as stuck.I read this thead and had to take a step back from it.......

Here's the real deal.......it's a matter of not liking the way your rig sounds.I can see/feel that from your posts.Your seeking for something that I believe is not there or your looking in the wrong direction.

Russ did a good job answering your questions without asking any himself......I respect that(don't get used to it ;) )

I know thinking about modifing your setup is fun.....trail and error is most of the time priceless........but....here's what I have learned over the years.

If you feel the need to modify the sound coming from your main speakers,It can be a combo of things or a very simple one.

Since most people around here love to tweak,play and venture,lets go that route shall we?Consider your rig......and ask yourself some very basic questions about it...
    1)Does my system have Synergy?

2)What is my weakest link?

3)How is the room I have in my system?

4) what is the single most annoying or need to fix thing about my system?

Most of the time if not all of the time,answering question #1 will fix and make the ability to skip the rest of the questions.(The room is another thing to consider always no matter what)
    Allow me to explain Synergy for a moment....it's the delicate balance in ones systems as written by me.It's matching and creating a harmony inbetween source,amp and speakers.....Little fellows I call wire have a big impact on this after the Quote System is match not including wire end Quote.

OK after you play around with those Ideas.....heres the kicker.......those speakers you bought???In the really real world.....they just might not be the ones for you.....time in and time out you listen......feel about them..love them for what they do......then one day it happens.....somethings wrong..it doesn't quite sound like it used 2.Warm and fuzzy turns into concern.....why O why does this gotta happen........I call it audio maturity.........if I will.
    Sometimes you can just GROW out of speakers.....it can happen with alot of things but speakers seem to be the be all end all in all of our thinking( I think slightly different from time to time but the speakers is what I get the most warm and fuzzy feelings out of.....I'll talk about that another time.....)

The concern here is the mid bass........now is it really lacking or is the ego telling you "hey I only have one **** **** midbass driver and I don't think IT can cut it........."Well I will have to enlighten you for a moment.......less is more in most cases..........more is well more but Less............think about it for a unmale ego minute.

In my end here (for now)I don't agree with wiring speakers in Parallel or seires.........multible speakers running together in my opnion is nonesence(don't get offended it's just my opnion and not what I do or believe in).
    My motto is Home Run everything.....have a speaker...have a amp for it.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,105
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Airplay355
    but stupid me russ u are right, they are just the damn rti38:( ****

But their 125 watts more.... :rolleyes:

Long story.......

My RT35i sounded really bad until I got the adcom. After that it has completely opened up.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN

Also, check out Scottvamps center channel in the showcase, a couple other members have duplicated his wiring scheme with good results.

It's your ears brotha.

Cheers,
    Rooster

I'm in that parallel gang and really enjoy the sound of my settup.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited July 2003
    Options
    yes a good amp will make your speakers sound beter. when i got my amp it took the celing and raised it like 2 feet. i mean the old revever ran out of steam but the new amp pulls strong . the thing with running 2 speakers will increase the efency of the speaker so letting it play louder with less juice.
  • pjdami
    edited July 2003
    Options
    well the whole purpose to this post was to figure out what running speakers in parallel would do to my receiver. I wanted to do this because I thought it might be a sloution to the lack of midrange in thr rti100s, but stupid me russ u are right, they are just the damn rti38 ****, so adding an rti38 to each rti100 would only give me a DB boost and nothing else? is there a speaker i can add that will help with that or am i stuck?

Airplay,

It looks like some other folks are indeed adding additional speakers to achieve some gain in their respective systems. Getting back to your original reasoning behind this post though what exactly do you mean by "lacking in midrange"? Adding a similar sounding speaker such as a RTi38 may result in more presence or db gain but is it tonal quality change that you are after? That is why I recommended listening to different types of speakers. Shucks the new RT line is due out soon...that would be a starting place. Would you have to purchase the RTi38s to try them out or do you own them already? What kind of receiver do you have?
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,105
    edited July 2003
    Options
    Let me kind of remind you, the result of his dry midrange may be that 70 watt aiwa.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.