mini truck subs

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited June 2003 in Car Subwoofer Talk
Hi, I have a '94 Toy regular pick up and am planing to swap out the bench seats very soon. Anywhoo, I just got some new components (JBL gto505c) and figured I might as well close the loop. I have been looking at some 10" and found both the polk and kicker subs to be attractive. Leg room isn't really a problem because I'm a short guy and I really don't give a **** about the passengers comfort. I'm not looking for anything too loud or fancy, just something that sounds descent, lasts, and gets the job done. I can spend a little over 3 bills on just the speakers. Then about another hundred or two on the amp (reasonable?). The speakers don't need to bee too poweful so a really high RMS is not required. Oh, I was also wandering how descent 8" would be for the job. Any help will be awsome. Thank you.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited June 2003
    how many 10s do you want..1 or 2?
    as far as 8s...if you want to top off your sound with some low bass...then 8s arent really going to work for you...10s or better
    as far as an amp...its probably going to cost you $225 or more...depending
    do you want a full manufacturers warranty...or something off ebay?
    -Cody
  • Systems
    edited June 2003
    I was thinking two tens, and everything probably bought at a store, unless ebay will do the trick...but I have a feeling it won't.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited June 2003
    try and find polks old DX series and get 2 10s...those were the **** nit for the price...
    not sure what they were rated...
    ill get back in a lil bit with an amp for you
    -Cody
  • Systems
    edited June 2003
    good lookin' out, btw, can you suggest a good company amp for the components.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited June 2003
    or these alpines
    http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-PdvVX8Yahkg/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=10&g=67600&I=500SWS1041&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N
    with this rockford amp pushing it
    http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-PdvVX8Yahkg/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=3&g=130&I=575351M&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N
    with this wiring kit
    http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-PdvVX8Yahkg/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=11&g=711&I=575CP8PI&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N
    and this capacitor
    http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/ROCCPC0503
    the capacitor is optional
    it helps out your electrical system though
    and you dont have to get the same wiring kit or the same amp
    for an amp you want to look for an amp that does 400x1 @ 2 ohms
    the amp i gave a link to says 350....but its probably closer to 425 or so
    for a wiring kit you want to look for all the same accessories the one i showed you had
    40 amp fuse, patch(signal) cables, power cables, fuse holder, 8 awg wire etc.
    go to this thread and it has a lot of online stores to shop around that usually have the lowest prices
    ebay will be cheaper...you can find stuff new in box on ebay...but without a warranty..and keep in mind some of the websites on the thread are NOT authorized dealers but most come with a 1 yr warranty through the website and not the company
    http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8830
    and if you want to look for the DX's...find the rms rating...lets say its 200 watts rms
    double that(cuz u want 2 subs)
    400 watts
    and youll want to look for an amp that is 400x1 at 2 ohms
    the 2 ohms is very important...if its 400x1 @ 4 ohms...youll only be getting half the power to your subs
    hope i was of help
    -Cody
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited June 2003
    what is the rms rating on the components?
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited June 2003
    90 x 2 for those comps -- they're good sounding but not too "hungry" for power... i'm somewhat of a fan of JBL's GT(insert whatever letter here) stuff.

decent 75 - 100 x 2 amp will run you about 150 - 200 bucks.

for the prices you're talking i'd suggest Profile California Series (the new aluminum silver cased ones) amps... you can do a 100 x 2 for comps and like a 600 x 1 for subs both amps for like 300 bucks retail (crutchfield or something like that)... they're not high end, but for the price they're a good stable amp that's not gonna blow up on you.

DX 10's are 300 rms -- can take upwards of 350+ if u are careful more.

www.adleraudio.com has them for like 70 dollars each (these were 165 dollar retail subs)... they are new old stock --have not been sold in stores for about 3 years or more. i've owned 8 DX series subs and while i stand by the 10's as one of thebest subs i've ever heard... i am not fond of the 12's at all.

if u cant get ahold of those, u might want to stick with JBL -- the JBL GT100 subwoofers are 70 dollars each (two for 140) retail from crutchfield or somewhere like that and they are AMAZING subs for the price... i mean i look at those subs as something that i would be proud to have in my car if i had a basic system and would expect to see a retail price of 140 bucks each... yet u can get two for 140 -- why ? i dunno.. jbl's cheap.. but good. i've got one of these and i'm happy with it.

the JBL subs wil get louder than the polk's on less power-- they're 250 RMS but will probably be ok with 300 ---- they're 1kw max for burping and such.

another cheap suggestion -- alpine type S...

kicker subs are kind of **** and only good in ported boxes which take up a lot of room... (comp and comp VR) .. the L5 and L7 are great in ported boxes but require very large amplifiers.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited June 2003
    the links i gave were to the alpine type s's
    -Cody
  • Systems
    edited June 2003
    THANK YOU to all that responded! Everyone was very helpful and it's hard to find people to answer questions honestly in the car audio game. I will probably go with the jbl's due to the low cost and the higher sensitivity rating.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited June 2003
    well the type S do sound better -- just so u know -- they take a smidge less power than the JBL and prolly wont be as loud -- but close enough -- and they sound a whole lot better... butya the jbl will be a nice sturdy reliable and loud sound that sounds pretty damn good.

that 351M cody put up is a pimp amp... for a little amp it packs a hell of a punch.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge