iPhone + Audi / VW

Options
pploeser
pploeser Posts: 88
edited April 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
I'm in the process of choosing a new car and one of the main things I'm looking for is iPhone / iPod / bluetooth compatibility. I've fallen in love with the VW GTI, but I would basically have to go with a brand new one to get factory ipohone/bluetooth compatability. I have about $17k in savings specifically for a car. I could take out a loan and get a brand new, well equipped GTI for about $29k after taxes, fees, and title - but I'd prefer not to go into debt if I don't need to. If I found a good deal on an older VW, or even an Audi (love the A4), are there good options for adding ipod and bluetooth compatibility? I don't have first-hand experience with VW or Audi, so I'm hoping someone here does.

Any GTI/Golf/Jetta/Passat/A4 owners out there? These are all options I'm considering... feedback/advice? I'm looking for something with low miles (25k or less, preferably), so not much more than a couple years old.
Post edited by pploeser on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Well, you can get an aftermarket radio that would have all that.

They do make iphone adapters for the newer VW's that plug into the factory radio (if it is a capable of having SAT radio).
    http://pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=356&CategoryID=22

But that doesnt help if you want bluetooth.

You can get an aftermarket radio like this:http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/In-Dash/DVD-Receivers/AVH-P3200BT

You do have to buy the separate ipod cable though.

Or if you wanted a cheaper route,
    http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/In-Dash/CD-Players/DEH-P6200BT
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Installer4life
    Installer4life Posts: 256
    edited April 2010
    Options
    $14000.00 to $15000.00 is a lot to pay over and above your savings for a brand new car just to get ipod and blooth. Find a nice used one and get a new headunit that does what you want. For less than $1500.00 you can get a indash DVD/CD with ipod, blooth, usb and steer wheel interface installed professionally. No debt, no payments priceless..
  • pploeser
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Thanks guys. I'm leaning towards trying to find a used '09 GTI with low miles. I like the idea of adding one of those Pioneer units. Some of them can be upgraded with GPS navigation, which would be really nice. Even if I spent a couple grand extra to get all the iphone/bluetooth/GPS business in there, it would still be cheaper than getting a brand new GTI.

I really do like the subtle styling changes they gave the '10. Headlights, taillights, to name a couple. Getting over my lust for that brand new shiny red 2-door I test drove is much more easily said than done... :rolleyes:
  • pploeser
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Bought a 2008 Jetta Wolfsburg on Tuesday. Very happy so far. The radio has the aux (headphone style) input which I'll use to get music from my phone for now. The car has 10 speakers stock - 3 in each front door, and 2 in each back door. I'll probably eventually upgrade the head unit to one that will integrate nicely with iPhone and bluetooth. Maybe add navi as well. The only disadvantage is I don't have the steering wheel controls. Not sure what options I have there in terms of aftermarket mods...

For now I have to go into save mode until our finances recover :rolleyes: