Broken DB crossover :(

Vital
Vital Posts: 747
edited May 2012 in Car Audio & Electronics
I had db6501's in my front doors for about a year then came across a really nice deal on MOMO 6500s and decided to use them instead of dbs.

It was cold at the time so momos were laying around in my basement for a while. Then i noticed how my db's right tweeter is distorting the sound so without any further investigation i swapped them out with MOMOs, problem solved. LOL. when taking bds out i noticed some rattle coming from x-over but didn't care cuz it was going out of my doors anyways.

Now i wanna try some rear fill and add db's woofer in my rear doors. Just the woofer, no tweets. Since i don't have any active crossovers i need to use db's x-over. Took it out today and heared the same rattle, open the cover and see this circled thing (don't know what it's called) got disconneted from the board.
From what i remember lows sounded as great as they always did, just the tweets got messed up.

So here's my logical assumption based on absolutly no knowledge of electricity, the way x-overs are built and what that thing is lol - i can still use it since i'm only looking for lows.

Commong sense tells me i'm wrong and this should be asked before doing it LOL.

2-1-1.jpg
2008 Nissan Altima
Kenwood DNX 5140
Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
Polk Audio SR6500 active and SR124-dvc sealed
Polk Audio PA500.4 and PA1200.1
Post edited by Vital on

Comments

• Vital
    edited April 2010
    Here's a quick cell phone pics i took of the actuall piece.

SU1HMDA0MjIuanBn.jpg

SU1HMDA0MjMuanBn.jpg
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • pioneercrazed
    pioneercrazed Posts: 37
    edited April 2010
    Was the crossover installed in your door?

My crossovers are in my door from another brand and the drivers side did this on mine and another friend of mines. From the impact of open/closing the door all the time.

It was an easy fix on mine, just heat up the solder on the crossover board after you take it out of the plastic housing and then pop the piece back onto the board.

Or if the mids sound the way that you want them just continue to use them, shouldn't hurt anything.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2010
    If youre just going to be using the mids, you dont need to use the crossover at all. In fact this would be idea for rear feel. Just use the natural roll off of the mids. That would actually, probably sound a little better.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Vital
    edited April 2010
    Installed one speaker with a good x-over last night. To be honest i (driver) don't really notice much (if any) of a differance with a speaker in the back. I set my amp on both LPF and FLAT and there's still no differance. Once i get on in the rear seat i can def hear better with amp set to FLAT. Keep in mind it's just one speaker.

I'll install another one today without a x-over (as per MacLeod and Dskip) to see what it'll sound like.

again, there's really not much (if any at all) differance between frontstage set up and same with rearfill for the driver and front passanger. Rear passangers would benefit from it thou + more volume when u're on an openair camping or whatever, open your doors and trunk, blast your music all the way, bbq, beer and dancing till u pass out and get ticketed in the moring by park troopers for alcohol and disturbing peace. haha!
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited April 2010
    Vital wrote: »
    I set my amp on both LPF and FLAT and there's still no differance.

If you fade all the way back and then listen, you may find a big difference. Sitting up front the front comps are much louder they would drown out the lone mid at the back. With your amp set to flat, the 6x9 mid would be playing upto 4khz. With your amp set to LPF you would hear it till 200-600hz depending on where the amps xover is set.
    i get on in the rear seat i can def hear better with amp set to FLAT.

You're hearing a wider range of frequencies as explained above.
    again, there's really not much (if any at all) differance between frontstage set up and same with rearfill for the driver and front passanger.

You need to tune a bit to dial in a decent front stage. I'm not sure just how much you're using. Without this, the stage would be diffused and the sound itself would not be directional, i.e. from the front. So if you added another driver to the mix, you may not hear and feel the shift. The more cohesive your stage gets, the greater its sensitivity. Here you would feel the shift. I hope I didn't confuse you.
    passangers would benefit from it thou + more volume when u're on an openair camping or whatever, open your doors and trunk, blast your music all the way, bbq, beer and dancing till u pass out and get ticketed in the moring by park troopers for alcohol and disturbing peace. haha!

Sounds like fun. Brings back old memories, of falling asleep propped up against a pine tree in two feet of snow. Was walking back from a frat party to my dorm, thought I'd just take a break for a bit. :D
  • Vital
    edited April 2010
    ^^^ all makes sense, thanx :)

Got another question.

My current set up is:
    MMC6501 comps in the front powered by PA500.4
    12'' DB sub in the trunk powered by PA600.1
    stock 6x9s were taken out of rear deck for bass air flow in the cabin.

Instead of db's in rear doors i figured i'll go with another set of momo's just to have them match.
    Should i go with:
    1. MMC6501 comps (no tweets, just the woofer) or
    2. MMC650 2-way speaker (again no tweets, just the woofer) ???

From what i understand they are essentially the same woofers, no?
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2010
    How about no rear speakers? They do more harm than good and you can spend the money on better things like Dynamat which you can never have enough of.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • BMo
    BMo Posts: 1
    edited May 2012
    Anybody know where I can get a replacement? Mine did the exact same thing on the passenger side.
  • pentoncm
    pentoncm Posts: 379
    edited May 2012
    I have two spare MM crossovers that you can have. Crossover slopes should be the same but they have better internal components than the db ones.
    Audison Bit Ten
    Kenwood X595
    Polk MM6501
    Polk MM1240
    Mtx 704x
    Alpine MRX50
  • Vital
    edited May 2012
    MM's woofer is 2Ohms while db is 4Ohms which could be an issue when it comes to swapping x-overs.
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • pentoncm
    pentoncm Posts: 379
    edited May 2012
    the ohm load shouldn't matter at all. The MM woofer is 2 ohm, MM tweeter is 4 ohm. It averages out to 2.7 ohm. The crossover doesn't do anything but filter the frequencies.
    Audison Bit Ten
    Kenwood X595
    Polk MM6501
    Polk MM1240
    Mtx 704x
    Alpine MRX50
  • BeefJerky
    BeefJerky Posts: 1,320
    edited May 2012
    pentoncm wrote: »
    the ohm load shouldn't matter at all. The MM woofer is 2 ohm, MM tweeter is 4 ohm. It averages out to 2.7 ohm. The crossover doesn't do anything but filter the frequencies.
    Except that passive crossovers don't work like that. The crossover point of the individual low or high pass filter is dependent upon the impedance of the driver. Therefore, changing the driver's impedance will change the point that that driver is crossed over at.

And, in the case of 2+ order crossovers it gets even more complicated, and may cause further issues. So, no, I don't recommend swapping the DB crossover with the MM crossover.