Recommendations for speakers and an amp

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited May 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi all,

I just got an Alpine CDA 9811 head unit and new Polk EX365 speakers for the front of my 2000 Civic. I didn't replace the rear stock speakers yet, because I'm currently short on money.

I was looking at getting some Polk EX369 for the rear speakers of my car. Also, I wanted to get an amp that would support all four of my speakers for really good performance. I'm not too sure about amps and stuff, so you can call me a newbie on that topic.

Also if I later wanted to install subs in my car [later meaning probobly next year] would I still be able to put another amp in the car to power just the two 12" subs I plan to get?

Any help is appriciated.

BTW, the Polk speakers really rock, I love how they don't distort at high volumes!! :)
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited May 2003
    you're on a budget, i respect that -- how about ....

mtx 404: 50 x 4 (prolly do a hair more) retails at 280 bucks.

Pioneer GMX574: 50 x 4 retails at 250 bucks

US Acoustics USB 4065: 65 x 4 (ehh... dont take that as biblical - it'll do close to that, prolly 55 or 60, but i doubt it'll be right on at 65) retails at 130.

US Acoustics USB4085 : 85 x 4 (again, prolly like 75 or 80) retails at 180 bucks.

Profile CA640 : 75 x 4 (same deal as US Ac) retails at 160.

... personally, when you're lookin budget wise you not only need to consider cost, but also reliability and "bulletproof-ness" -- is this amp that u spend 100 bucks on going to last for 3 years? or one year? because if its only going to last a year, i'd rather get the amp for 200 bucks thats going to last me 3 or 5 or whatever years because the longer it lasts, the less money per year u spent "per year"... and that's important too.

something like an Mtx / Rockford / Alpine ... your normal circuit city stuff is going to last you a few years... infinitely if you take good care of it... and sure its gonna cost ya 250 bucks for a decent 50 x 4 channel amp, but it's probably going to hold up better than something lesser... the US Ac. and the Profile amps i posted as decent amps -- Profile is pretty good... they sound good and they dont break down too easy, so I'd feel fairly confident snagging one of those.

If you want - ive got two JBL GTS 180x1's laying in my room right now with their original boxes -- 60 x 2 at 4 ohms / 180 x 1 bridged at 4 / 90 x 2 at 2 ohms... they were both used for about 6 months -- look in very good cosmetic condition "9 outa 10", and are in absolute perfect electrical working order. Ihad bought them to replace a 4 channel that died ... i soon decided i wanted my amps to all match brand and color wise so the JBL's had to go (they're white). I've been asking 150 for the pair + actual UPS ground shipping to wherever.

far as the head unit --- alpine 9811... -- can u run another amp off that as well so u can run a set of subs??.... three sets of 4 volt pre-outs ... you can run six amps off that...lol... but ideally you'll run the front and rear outputs to your 4 channel amp and the sub out to your sub amp. soyou're good.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • okman16
    okman16 Posts: 4
    edited May 2003
    If I were to get your two JLB amps, one to run for my front 2 speakers, and the other to run for my back two speakers, I'm not sure I'd be able to fit yet ANOTHER amp + a sub box with 2 subs.

Wouldn't that be pushing it in a small Civic trunk?

I think I'd need just one amp to supply all 4 speakers, that would save a lot of room.

Thanks for the information and offer, I'll ask around at stores and ask friends for further information. :)
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited May 2003
    i hadn't thought abotu trunk size -- in which case u're prolly gonna have to actually look at dimensions on amps before u even buuy one and make sure that u get a 4 ch that does sufficient power and is fairly small.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge