What is your *real* rock and roll?

Options
burdette
burdette Posts: 1,194
edited June 2003 in Music & Movies
I found myself with some time alone in my house yesterday, and decided to spend a little 2-channel time. I'd found Rush Chronicles gathering dust a few days ago and had been wanting to listen to it again. So I loaded it up and sparked it and sat back for some tunes. I like some of Rush's songs, but whatever genre it is, it isn't "rock and roll."

However, Day Tripper by the Beatles is, to me, true and honest rock and roll - one of the top 3-4 rock songs ever, IMO. The sound, the lyrics, the "feel." There are more songs I consider true R&R, but no need to mention them here (Elvis certainly makes my list with some of his songs).

Curious.. what songs do you consider real rock and roll? I've been paying a little more attention lately to the bands playing on TV - talk shows, SNL, etc. Unless it is just some anomoly, it appears that music now has some bands getting back to real rock roots/songs, and.. thank god.. some of the beaten-to-death tangents are perhaps dead.. grunge... mass produced formulated **** like the boy groups....

I don't think it matters what genre.. metal, rock, grunge, country.. you can really tell when the band/singer is doing his thing because he loves music, compared to trying to make a buck. Are we.. just maybe... seeing a bit of a resurgence in actual MUSIC makers who sing and play instruments for the love of it??

A couple of questions buried in there.. I guess I'm just waxing poetic on the ... hopefully improving??? state of music? I really don't know - I hardly ever listen to the radio anymore to hear new tunes, and we don't have cable, so no music channels either.
Post edited by burdette on

Comments

• Billm57
    Billm57 Posts: 689
    edited May 2003
    Options
    anything made before 1980 with the exception of SRV and GNR
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited May 2003
    Options
    There isn't much honest about the Beatles. Sorry to say. They are great, but thier music wasn't honest in many regards.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2003
    Options
    'Real' rock-n-roll to me, tough question.

Could be Elvis, could be AC/DC. Could be Bill Haley and the Comets, could be Van Halen (NOT the latter whip of Van-Hagar).

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    edited May 2003
    Options
    DREAM THEATER!!!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • joe6pak
    joe6pak Posts: 267
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Burdette

For real rock & roll, I say listen to the guy that practically invented R & R.

Chuck Berry. Listen to his first hit "Maybellene" followed by "Memphis Tennessee", "Johnny B. Goode", "Back In The U.S.A." "School Day", "Rock And Roll Music", "Sweet Little Sixteen", and "Thirty Days". Now that is real rock at its birth. This guy influenced all who followed, including, Elvis, Bill Haley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, Roy Orbison, The Beatles, and The Stones.

Demiurge:

The Beatles were not honest?

joe
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited May 2003
    Options
    burdette,

Interesting question...

There are a lot of "rock groups/ artists" I love that maybe don't fit a strict definition of pure RnR, if by pure you mean driving rhythms of drums, guitars and maybe a keyboard ...

Not in would include: Yes, Supertramp, CSN&Y, Chicago, Little Feat, Talking Heads… hell, the list would be long… most of what I own.

So what’s in? Yeah, Chuck Berry, The Hollies (“Tall, Cool Woman”, my “near-the-top-of-the-list” rock song), The Kinks, The Stones, Bowie (at least Ziggy for sure), pre-“Sgt Pepper” Beatles (honest or not), Alice Cooper….

Nah, all of the above are in… call it the evolution of the genre’… “It’s Still Rock and Roll to Me”….
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Ya, not a save-the-world question.. just curious.

I have a "Best of" Chuck Berry tape. I agree he was a key figure, although I think much of his music sounds the same. Johnny B. Goode is one of my all-time favorite songs, and I consider it classic R&R.

I don't know what "honest" means, either, in terms of the Beatles. I think that some of their songs are just fundamentally rock and roll songs... some others are.. uh.. undescribable. I dislike a LOT of the Beatles catalog.. and I really like some of it.

Supertramp as R&R? See.. that is exactly what I was curious about... I would never have put them in that genre, but I do like some of their songs.
  • abmarsh
    abmarsh Posts: 109
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I agree, Chuck Berry is the definition of Rock and Roll.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Billm57
    anything made before 1980 with the exception of SRV and GNR

That's why my favorite band is Heart. good hard driving rock and roll. end of story
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Vr3MxStyler2k3
    DREAM THEATER!!!

Now Sid......all the bad thoughts I had ever thought about you....all those wated minutes at being mad at myself for reading your useless posts.....for all the flame wars that were started.....every little misdeed you did here.....you are forgiven.

Not many young adults like yourself know about Dream Theater let alone would even care to give them a listen. Glad to see that you are one of the rare few that can see a great band for what they are. DT is number one in my book. Always will be. Hopefully I am going to see DT, Queensryche, and Fates Warning July 28th in Las Vegas.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • VR3
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Dude, the drummer, guitarist, and the bassist, and singer, keyboardist (etc) are all world class muscians. They can really rock, it really can challenge any speaker, and they can do literally amazing stuff. The guitar rifts alone are worth the 25 bucks for a CD. Drum Solos and keyboard solos are worth it. Im not all that fond of the singer, but the Oprah trained voice sorda grows on ya. But he is an awesome singer, being able to go from Low to High, easily and sing for hours. The band is truly amazing and I suggest it to any rock freak!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Dude, the drummer, guitarist, and the bassist, and singer, keyboardist (etc) are all world class muscians. They can really rock, it really can challenge any speaker, and they can do literally amazing stuff. The guitar rifts alone are worth the 25 bucks for a CD. Drum Solos and keyboard solos are worth it. Im not all that fond of the singer, but the Oprah trained voice sorda grows on ya. But he is an awesome singer, being able to go from Low to High, easily and sing for hours. The band is truly amazing and I suggest it to any rock freak!

I didn't know that Oprah trained singers:confused:
  • VR3
    edited May 2003
    Options
    He has an opra*** sorry, trained voice. Cant spell...
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    edited May 2003
    Options
    He has an opra*** sorry, trained voice. Cant spell...

No problem MX. If you're going to misspell, at least make it funny. I think you did;)
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Good one MX. I think any album off of Dream Theaters long list is refernce material. The whole band can go from the deepest of bass to very high mids and beyond. It can challenge any speaker setup. And if you got it wrong.....well you will know after listening to DT.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Chuck Berry had a son, his name is Keith Richards. He is Rock & Roll in both his songs and in life.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• jeff biggs
    jeff biggs Posts: 18
    edited May 2003
    Options
    George Thorogood and the Destroyers! Just about as Rock and Roll as you can get.

The Cult, I think early on they had a real sense of Rock and Roll.

Chuck Berry, Just about everybody else on these lists owes him something.

Jerry Lee Lewis, One mixed up Cracker but He could pound out a tune.

The Beach Boys, I know some won't agree with me on this one but I've seen them play live and they do know Rock and Roll.
  • VR3
    edited May 2003
    Options
    their pretty rock. the singer can just do all levels of singing, highs to low, he can do it all.
  • Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited June 2003
    Options