what size speakers would fit a 1991 F150 truck door panel?

Options
danger boy
danger boy Posts: 15,722
edited May 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
I haven't removed the door panel, but the speaker location looks long and narrow. maybe like a 3" x 6" or 7" looks odd sized to me.

anyone know though?
PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
Post edited by danger boy on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2010
    Options
    6.5s, but nothing too deep.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • danger boy
    edited April 2010
    Options
    does that require cutting? the stock speakers are not round.. rectangle. i know installing 5 1/4 or 6 1/2" would be better sounding, but i don't want to dump a lot of $$ into the project. Since i'll have to get a new head unit too.
  • MCCLIPSE
    MCCLIPSE Posts: 176
    edited April 2010
    Options
    there should be some adapters you can buy to convert the hole to a circle mount for a 6.5" or 5.25" speaker
    Truck system so far...

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab Hemi

Kenwood KDC-X492 HU
    MM651 coaxials in doors

Family Room:

Panasonic TC-P50G25 50" Plasma
    Panasonic DMP-BD655K BDP
    XBOX 360 250GB
    Harman/Kardon HK3480(on loan)
    Monitor 70 Series II
  • exalted512
    edited April 2010
    Options
    danger boy wrote: »
    does that require cutting? the stock speakers are not round.. rectangle. i know installing 5 1/4 or 6 1/2" would be better sounding, but i don't want to dump a lot of $$ into the project. Since i'll have to get a new head unit too.

I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure the front doors are 6.5s and the rear speakers are 5x7s (or 6x8s...same thing)
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Go to Crucified.com and use their fit guide. If its 5x7's there are lots of excellent quality 5x7 speakers available. If you're not wanting to put a lot of time or money into it that would be the best way.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Installer4life
    Installer4life Posts: 256
    edited April 2010
    Options
    6.5 inch in the front door. depth should not be an issue. Hole cut out in door is about 5 inches. Most 6.5 inch speakers will fit not problem. If you go with a 6.75 inch speaker then you may have to trim some metal. Should not be an issue with a sharp set of tin snips.
  • exalted512
    edited April 2010
    Options
    6.5 inch in the front door. depth should not be an issue. Hole cut out in door is about 5 inches. Most 6.5 inch speakers will fit not problem. If you go with a 6.75 inch speaker then you may have to trim some metal. Should not be an issue with a sharp set of tin snips.

There you go. I was thinking the window track made depth an issue, but its been a longgg time since I installed door speakers in that model truck.
    -Cody
  • danger boy
    edited April 2010
    Options
    i will post a pic later today.. i think what's in the door right now might be 5"x7"
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2010
    Options
    MacLeod wrote: »
    Go to Crucified.com.....

Crucified?!?! Oh for the love of.....

Ive got a new Droid phone and it has this cool little feature of "predicting" what youre spelling. Normally I like it because it spell checks me as I type but the downside is if it doesnt recognize a word like "Crutchfield" it just throws out something that resembles it. Aggravating as hell! I never notice it til after Ive sent something.

I sent this chick friend of mine a text and I typed "Nah, I wont forget it". Instead it read "Nag, I wont forget it". You can imagine the response. "F you! I wasnt nagging I was just reminding you cause youre stupid and forget stuff all the time." sad-smiley-028.gif
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited April 2010
    Options
    lmao. I got a new phone number. A couple days later my brother calls me, tells me to call his wife and give her crap because she got a ticket for turning left where she wasnt supposed to because her GPS told her so.

I was at work, so I sent her a couple texts:
    "If you get a ticket as the result of following directions a Garmin unit has provided you, you can take pictures and send it to Garmin and they will reimburse you for it."

A couple minutes later I TYPE(keyword: type) "NOT!!! What a tard! Just because you have a GPS doesnt mean you dont have to watch the road signs!"

Well, the autocorrect changed my 'tard' to 'yard'. I realized after I sent it. Somehow, when you mean to call someone a tard and you say yard instead, it kind of ruins your tard calling credibility...

-Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited May 2010
    Options
    medium, maybe large, perhaps extra large, or even small.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited May 2010
    Options
    MacLeod wrote: »
    I sent this chick friend of mine a text and I typed "Nah, I wont forget it". Instead it read "Nag, I wont forget it". You can imagine the response. "F you! I wasnt nagging I was just reminding you cause youre stupid and forget stuff all the time." sad-smiley-028.gif

WAAAAAHAHA I bet you had a great time explaining that one. :D