Speaker System Calibration

Options
reeltrouble1
reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
edited May 2003 in Speakers
Polkie needs help.

When I first set up my system I just calibrated to 75db using the Rat shack meter and the receiver test tones. So then I add a second 450 sub and Mantis tells me how he sets these up. So I do this and sounds good. But then I buy the Avia disc. They talk about how 85 is the true level for the DD recordings etc. OK, this is very loud I understand, but what is the difference, if I calibrate to 75 or 85? I thought I was just trying to get the same pressure level from each speaker. I mean why not 65? And just turn up to where I like it? If you calibrate to 85 then how do you know where to turn up master volume? Just go to 0 relative on the reciever? Measure somehow with the SPL? I know its about how it sounds to me, but I am trying to understand the theory. Even at 75 the system gets very loud before 0 relative on the reciever. My room is 2970 3/ft, with some large openings.

Help!!!!!!!! I guess I still just do not understand what proper calibration means. :confused:

Dang I double posted this, would Admin please remove the first one.:mad:

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,053
    edited May 2003
    Options
    75 DB on my receiver, with Pro Logic test tones isnt very loud, and it would max my receiver out by setting it up this way. I calibrated mine to 65db on -40 on the receiver. It blends perfect to me. You set the master volume on what you usually listen to it on.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.