help

soccerpharm
soccerpharm Posts: 9
edited May 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
can anyone help me? i just installed gxr46 and gxr69 speakers in my 96 poontiac sunfire. now when i was playing a cd in my head unit, all of the lights on the head unit started to blink as i turned up the volume, and when i got to a certain level and let it play the head unit would cut out. i don't know if this has anything to do with the fuses or not. my head unit is an alpine cda-7892. can anyone make a suggestion on what might be the problem and how i could go about fixing it?
Post edited by soccerpharm on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited May 2003
    its most likely one of the following.

1) your faceplate is loose or bad contacts between the plate and the head. (not my first choice of problem tho, but the easiet to check for -- wiggle it.. if the probelm stops, then there ya go).

2) bad ground. your ground wire (on the head) may not be soldered well to the ground wire in the car. or your ground wire in the car may be too thin or not attached to a good metal grounding spot.

3) bad pwoer wire. if that is a high power deck (one of those alpine V drive heads with the 60 x 4 or more power amp chip inside.. they "require" a 10 gauge power line from the battery but u can use a 12 - 14 gauge piece of speaker wire -- does the job fine).

4) you have a short somewhere -- if there is a MINOR short in the speaker lines anywhere it could cause the deck to be overdrawing power as it dumps more and more juice through a partial short... thus blinking out on you.

5) god hates you... but i'm guessing its more 2 / 3 / 4 (hopefully its 1 - cuz thats an easy fix -- if the alpine guys wont do it cuz its out of warranty or something all u gotta do is push the pins out with a jacknife or something pointy and small and that isnt going to trash the connector).

lemme know how it goes man :)
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • soccerpharm
    edited May 2003
    i checked the face plate, relocated the ground wire, and hit the reset button on the head and that seems to have fixed it. thanks for the info.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited May 2003
    ... glad to hear :D
  • soccerpharm
    edited May 2003
    now ive noticed that when bass hits the head cuts out. i have two 10in jensens and a 300 watt amp. this is really starting to piss me off.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited May 2003
    time to start tracing lines --- all of them --- get behind the dash and trace every speaker wire, every power wire, and all the power and speaker connections to your amp. somewhere along the line there's an issue -- if its not in the wiring -- then the head may be bad... or if you do not have a fuse on the amp - then maybe the amp has a problem and is sucking sick amounts of current away from the rest of the electrical system. if the amp has like a 30A fuse then chances are that's not the problem.