Question about my Alpine system.?

Options
Alpine77
Alpine77 Posts: 8
edited March 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
I recently recieved a new stereo system for my car. I have 2 12" Alpine Type R's (500watt rms-1500watt Peak) also a bandpass enclosure box, and 2 Alpine MRP-M500 amps (At 4ohms its 300x1 and at 2ohms its 500x1). The subwoofers are dual voice coil. So i am running them at 2ohms right now. Should I purchase a bigger amp for them? Thank you for helping me out with my stereo system.
Post edited by Alpine77 on

Comments

• TakeTheTime
    TakeTheTime Posts: 249
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I think you'll be fine. I have speakers and sub running with the same watt RMS as the amp's and it works well ;)
    Pioneer P88RS-II | Polk Audio SR5250 | JL Audio 12w6v2 | 2x Genesis 3 Stereo 100 | Genesis 3 Monoblock
  • Alpine77
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Okay thank you. But say I wanted it Louder. Would adding another amp that is 1000watts to one speaker and the other 2 amps to the other speaker make it louder without having a chance of blowing them? Also I have a 1 farad capacitor hooked up right now, but my lights still dim. Do you think I should upgrade to a 2 farad capacitor?
  • Installer4life
    Installer4life Posts: 256
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Thats not a good idea to split the amps on your subwoofers like that. Sell the two small alpines and buy one large amp with more power and you will be fine. Who is the manufacture of your bandpass box? Was it custom built or pre-fab?
  • Alpine77
    edited March 2010
    Options
    The box i believe was pre fab. My buddy gave it to me when he had no need for it. I dont know where he got it from. So what size amp should i get instead of splitting them?
  • Installer4life
    Installer4life Posts: 256
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Well your MRP-M500 amps are rated at 500watts rms into 2 ohms at 14.4volts. I seriously doubt you have 14.4 volts at the amp therefore you are probably not getting the true 500 watts they are claiming. But before I changed the amps I would measure the enclosure and make sure it is designed properly for the Type R subwoofers. I have used the Type R's in sealed and ported enclosures but not bandpass. If the enclosure doesn't fit the subwoofer then you are losing sound and volume. Remember its 75% enclosure and 25% woofer. Get the right enclosure then worry about the amp. With that being said I would look at an amp probably in the 1200 to 1500 watt range by a good manufacture. No Boss or Sound Storm stick with a brand with a good reputation and warranty.
  • Alpine77
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Okay. Thank you for all of your help.