approx. cost to rewire a car's speaker system?

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited May 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
I just bought a Jeep Cherokee, that doesn't have any of the speakers hooked up to the main stereo. I want to buy new speakers and have someone hook them up but they are going to have to rewire the speakers to the car. I am wondering if anyone knows approximately it would cost a professional to do this.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited May 2003
    running wires under carpets, up the center of the dash to the back of the radio... through door jambs to speakers -- i'd say you'd need roughly 50 - 70 feet of wire -- if your'e using deck power -- 18 gauge will do. and contrary to popular belief, since you're not using high amp power, 18 gauge radio shack wire will be fine... exterior(or in wall) variety with the heavy jacket -- its like 14 dollars for a 100 feet... or 8 bucks for 50

do it yourself... its not rocket science.. if u can unscrew trim panel on your floor (so u can pull the carpet up just enough to get u're hand(ane wire) under there), and take a door panel off and put it back on without trashing it, then you can do it yoruself with no problems... thus costing u 14 bucks.

if you have a shop do it --- they're gonna charge you by the hour -- 50 bucks or 60 bucks... circuit city was as low as 40 an hour before i think... they could take anywhere from 1 to 2 hours to do it.... depending on 1) the skill of the tech / 2) whether or not they give a **** about you / 3) their work ethic.

so... if u get the RS wire -- anywhere from 54 (1 hour at 40 per hour) to 134 (2 hrs at 60/hour).

if u're havin a pro do it -- i suggest you dont have him to the wire running until you have the speakers put in... chances are this will make them 1) work quicker / 2) give a **** about the sale more / 3) charge you less.

also - then you dont have to have the panels removed more than once -- each time u take a door panel off you stress the clips and risk breaking them... after having the panels off my truck's doors about 10 times, i've busted about 1/3 of the clips on each door.... which sucks... if i break any more, i'm in trouble. and its not a matter of installer skill with that... u take off panels in winter when they're cold as hell, they're gonna crack if u do it enough times.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge