Polk Audio Signature Reference SR6500?

Options
soundboy
soundboy Posts: 7
edited April 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hello!

I am are little bit curious one of this car audio SR6500 speaker , after I have experience of used this speakers old setup in 8 years before early car:

Tweeter: MM3000 , in later DB3000 model
Mids 4.5": MM4500
Midbass 6.5": DB6500 (old model)

How are this SR serial from Polk in this days?

What is a :

*positively?

*negative?

What is freq. range of this set in active some works best for and are example 100watts small or need the more power here?

The are idea to compare the set with headunit Sony Xes-Z50 (have) + the amplifier McIntosh MC4000M (get soon).. :rolleyes:

The loction of speakers will be A-pillar + dashboard without some shut-box under..

Have read difference reviews of the set yes:)
Car : Alpine W910R/H701, Polk Audio SR6500 coaxes, 2x Pioneer ODR 10",4x Sony XES-M50
Home:
Samsung LED 55"
Canal Digital - HD-PVR
Oppo BDP-105EU codefree
Yamaha RX-V659 (Replace to as new 2013 model, Yamaha RX-A2020/RX-A3020? Or..?)
Xindak XA-8800MNE
Polk Audio LS50 (Replace to as new 2013 model, RTIA9, CM9? Or..?)
Post edited by soundboy on

Comments

• TakeTheTime
    TakeTheTime Posts: 249
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Hei, det er deg jo! ;) Go for it, before it's too late!
    Pioneer P88RS-II | Polk Audio SR5250 | JL Audio 12w6v2 | 2x Genesis 3 Stereo 100 | Genesis 3 Monoblock
  • bigaudiofanatic
    bigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,415
    edited March 2010
    Options
    You both need to speak English to get some answers.
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Carver A400X :cool:
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • TakeTheTime
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Sorry. I said "Hey, it's you!" (recognized him from a Norwegian car-audio forum) ;)
    I think he cannot go wroing with this. I have the same speakers (although it's 5,25"),
    and these does sound great. After 30 hours of playing, the midbass is getting better. Great midbass! <3
    Pioneer P88RS-II | Polk Audio SR5250 | JL Audio 12w6v2 | 2x Genesis 3 Stereo 100 | Genesis 3 Monoblock
  • TakeTheTime
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I did some interesting reading about the SR's midbass:
    MacLeod wrote: »
    The SR5250's have excellent midbass for a speaker as small as they are. I never got dinged for weak midbass when I ran them in '07. That being said, dont run them too low. 50 Hz is the absolute lowest I would go. They will play much lower but they wont sound good. They get sloppy below 50.

The 6500's have weird midbass. They have a lot of energy but they dont have great "punch". They seem to dip around 63 Hz which is where the punch is. However, they are pretty boomy at 80 Hz so youll want to cut that frequency a bit especially if youre listening to jazz or music with a stand up bass guitar in it.

The 6500's have a double edged sword thing going on with their low end response. While theyll play down to 40 Hz all day long AND sound good doing it, frequencies below 63 Hz will cause them to bottom out pretty quick if you crank em up too much. If you listen to your music at a fairly low to moderate level then cut them puppies off at 40 Hz and enjoy all that wonderful up front bass. But if you listen at pretty stout volumes then youre gonna want to cut em at 63 Hz and let the sub handle everything below that.

As for midrange, both the 6500 and 5250 are near perfect at it. All youre gonna have to do is cut whatever frequencies the car's interior is causing to peak and then let the SR's do the rest. This is a huge benefit in tuning cause getting a realistic midrange dialed in aint easy. Luckily the Polk engineers did all the legwork.

The SR mids are just stupid off axis. Impressive enough the 6500 will do 5 KHz while still being able to hit 40 Hz but the 5250 will play up to 8 freaking-KHz at 90 degrees off axis before rolling off and that is just insane! It also means that you can mount these babies pretty much anywhere and not have to worry about getting them on axis which makes them easier to mount in the kicks if you want to and not have to worry about taking up leg room.

Maybe the SR5250's is a better choice? ;)
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,751
    edited March 2010
    Options
    You both need to speak English to get some answers.

That was incredibly ignorant.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,751
    edited March 2010
    Options
    soundboy, the SR series is top notch. They have a ring radiator tweeter which is very directional. It's the opposite of the DB3000 silk dome from the dB3065 set from about 15 years ago.

However, I would not worry about it at all. The SR series is better than than the older Mobile Monitor series and Dynamic Balance series that you mentioned. That's saying something because both of those sets were quite good to begin with.

As far as how it will sound best in your car, you'll have to do some tweaking and experimentation before permanent installation. But very few people have been unable to find an adequate mounting position to give them performance that they are pleased with.

If you can pick up a set of the SR6500s, go for it, dude. Top of the line all the way and they compete with sets costing twice as much. Also, I've personally witnessed a set of SR6500s mounted on a sound board, out-perform a set of B&W 801's.

These are 801's:
    801_pairopen.jpg

And MacLeod can corroborate that claim 'cause he was standing right next to me when it happened.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Jstas wrote: »
    Also, I've personally witnessed a set of SR6500s mounted on a sound board, out-perform a set of B&W 801's.

These are 801's and MacLeod can corroborate that claim 'cause he was standing right next to me when it happened.

I've read about that in some posts, I belive it was at a polkfest. That must have been some experience. I bet the sr's sounded much more detailed.
  • TakeTheTime
    edited April 2010
    Options
    So, what's it gonna be Soundboy? :)