Advice for Accord upgrade

Options
craigpsu
craigpsu Posts: 106
edited March 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have an 2004 Accord with climate control and all the other gadgets built in to the OEM HU. I want to keep the OEM HU because of that, but want ipod capability added. Are sound processors recommended in this application, if so which ones? I have seen good reviews and bad reviews for both the Rockford and JL Audio equipment. I am not totally sure if I need the CL -SSI for my setup with the CL441DSP if I go the JL route. I am going to purchase a 5 channel amp or 4 channel and mono amp. Are the 5 channel amps a decent product? When it is all said and done I want to keep this around $1,000. On the Accord I also have a storage space below the stereo that may have enough room to put an aftermarket HU. I have not looked into whether or not there is enough room though. Any adivce on what to do is appreciated.
LSi15s, LSiC, LSiFX, LC80F/X, microPro 4000, Pioneer Elite SC-07, XPA-2, XPA-5, PS3
Post edited by craigpsu on

Comments

• craigpsu
    edited March 2010
    Options
    My main question at this point is: Should I use a sound processor with the OEM HU and if so which one?

My eventual questions are what amps and speaker combinations should I get (with speakers no more than 150/pair). I am willing to put more into an amp if they are reliable and will last numerous years.
    LSi15s, LSiC, LSiFX, LC80F/X, microPro 4000, Pioneer Elite SC-07, XPA-2, XPA-5, PS3
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,994
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I think this may be just the man you need to answer your questions! Check his signature: He has quite a resume!

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98145

You'll have to tread carefully, since he's one of the veteran members here, and they tend to be a little grumpy sometimes when asked stupid questions.

(j/k BTW, and I don't think I've ever notice MacLeod get grumpy.)
    Alea jacta est!
  • bigaudiofanatic
    bigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,415
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Okay, I did a accord v6 coupe with dual climate control a few years ago.

You can either keep the head unit like he did and run something like the mtx re-q 5 or the rockford fosgate 3sixty. These will allow you to run your factory head unit while still running aftermarket amps and speakers. I used a combination of the jl clean sweep and the re-q for the sub. But the bad pat about the jl is that you have to set your factory volume and use there volume knob you have to mount. The others I mentioned do it another way.

Or you can get a new head unit and be done with it.

Here is the link to the install I did. If you have any questions please ask I can guide you threw the install in more detail.

Post 4
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85347
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Carver A400X :cool:
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • craigpsu
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Ok, so I know it would be better to get a new head unit but that is not going to go over so well. Of the MTX, JL and Rockford, is there a significant sound difference between them? I think that I am going to rule out the JL because of that volume control issue and I think I would need to have a seperate component to seperate out the sub preamp. I do have a question, why was a combination of devices used and not one like the reQ-5 or the 3sixty? Maybe some of this would be answered if I was not blocked from half of everything on the net. I am pretty much at the point where I would just go buy what someone told me is the right way to do it. All the new cars and all their integrated controls make upgrading the stereo a lot harder than it used to be.
  • bigaudiofanatic
    edited March 2010
    Options
    The reason we did not use just one is because the guy wanted to use two that was just him but it was a pain. I would say that the RF 3sixty and the re-q 5 are about even the rf probably has more control over the audio but the re-q would be easier to setup.
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • craigpsu
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Thanks for the advice... Are you referring to the 3sixty.1 or 3sixty.2? The 3sixty.2 has a much higher price than the MTX, but I am willing to pay it if it is worth it. Especially, since I will probably need this type of setup in the next car. If I don't use the center preamp does it matter? Is that taken out in the calibration process?

I have a different question for you, I might be getting a sub for this setup but want to keep the footprint small, are some of the 5 channel amps worth it? Use a self powered sub? I just want to add a little bass and have it tight and accurate.
  • bigaudiofanatic
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Yes the 5 channel amps are great amps and plenty of power. I do a lot of installs on the new 370z's and most people I recommend the alpine pdx 5 plenty of power for all your speakers and usually a bit under rated.

I am not familiar with the .2 version but I know the original will work fine. I will have to check out the .2 version.
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2010
    Options
    This is what I used. It replaces the storage bin below the stock head unit. Worked like a charm. Itll let you use an aftermarket head unit and generally make any kind of upgrading 10 times easier.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120997862/Honda-Accord-Kit.html?tp=861
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited March 2010
    Options
    craigpsu wrote: »
    My main question at this point is: Should I use a sound processor with the OEM HU and if so which one?

No. For best results you need to run the processor with an after market head unit. Mac's given you the solution to change the facia. This would allow you to run an after market hu.
    craigpsu wrote: »
    My eventual questions are what amps and speaker combinations should I get (with speakers no more than 150/pair). I am willing to put more into an amp if they are reliable and will last numerous years.

For good sound your speakers are much more important than your amp. Expensive amps do not give you better sound. For what an amp is supposed to do, any decent amp that doesn't induce noise and makes rated watts is fine. Said decent amps, will last a long time and let you put more into the speakers.

Just my $ 0.02 :)
  • craigpsu
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Thanks for the help on the storage bin kit... I asked crutchfield if I could fit an aftermarket HU in the storage bin and the guy said I have to replace the dash unit. This will make the upgrade much easier. I should have done this years ago. Anyway now I need to pick out an aftermarket HU. Should I still get a sound processor or equalizer with an aftermarket HU? If so, any suggestions? The same ones I was looking at or go with ones that are more for aftermarket gear?

Do you have any pics with the kit installed in the storage area?
  • MacLeod
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I have some pics posted on here somewhere. I'll look for them when I get home or search for threads I've started back around 2007.

As for a processor, it depends on how much tuning you're wanting tp do. Alpine has several ipod friendly head units that have extensive tuning features.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • craigpsu
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I found some pictures of some installs on other forums. It does look pretty good so I think I am going to go that route. Now I just need to pick out the HU, maybe additional sound processing, speakers, amp, sub, cables etc...

I know Crutchfield has been helpful in the past to me, but as far as purchasing products from them, what exactly would you recommend purchasing from them, just the bracket or is it worth it to buy the HU and speakers from them? They typically include pretty good instructions and extra parts to help with installation, but I know I can get a lot of the gear cheaper elsewhere.

Thanks
  • MacLeod
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Definitely buy from them. They're a great retailer. The reason the other place are cheaper is they're unauthorized. You're gettting repaired, remanufactured or an outright knock off. With Crutchfield you know you're getting brand spanking new gear straight from the manufacturer with their. Full warranty support.

• craigpsu
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I have no issue purchasing from Crutchfield they are always easy to deal with. The internet sites are tempting because of their price.

Anyone have any advice on a head unit? I was looking at Alpine, Kenwood, and Pio. Any sound processor advice or are certain head units good enough without them?