Possible blown crossover?...

Options
Straightsailor
Straightsailor Posts: 5
edited March 2010 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have a set of component Polk Momo speakers in my Miata and Ive been having problems with one of my crossovers. A few months ago one of my tweeters kept cutting in and out, a little jiggling at the HU and she'd come back on. A month ago however I cant get the tweeter to turn back on regardless of how much moving around of wires I do, I replaced the AUX that was attached to my iphone. And I moved around all the speaker components to try and locate the problem. I believe its the crossover and not the tweeter itself, I swapped tweeters between the two doors and crossovers and both the tweeters work fine, but every time their hooked up to the one crossover one of them fail to work. Only the woofer actually produces any noise from the messed up crossover. Ive noticed pressing down on the tweeter terminals causes the tweeter to produce some very faint noise. Is there something I should be looking for? Ive checked and double checked all the connections. And if the crossover is indeed fried, is there some way to JUST replace it alone and not the entire expensive set?

Thanks a lot guys, any help would be greatly appreciated. Keep in mind however I know very little about this stuff.
Post edited by Straightsailor on

Comments

• MCCLIPSE
    MCCLIPSE Posts: 176
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I think you can call Polk CS and get that crossover replaced. It's worth a shot at least.
    Truck system so far...

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab Hemi

Kenwood KDC-X492 HU
    MM651 coaxials in doors

Family Room:

Panasonic TC-P50G25 50" Plasma
    Panasonic DMP-BD655K BDP
    XBOX 360 250GB
    Harman/Kardon HK3480(on loan)
    Monitor 70 Series II
  • Straightsailor
    Straightsailor Posts: 5
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Thanks a lot for the info guys!

Ive looked at the crossovers many times and I cant see anything that looks burnt or fried at all... And all the settings are proper. Does it sound like the crossover is the problem to you guys? I know my HU isn't the greatest, its my brothers old unit. I have taken the HU out though and had a look at all the connections to make sure they were good though. Ill give CS a call soon and see what they say about replacing the crossover. Ill let you guys know what the outcome is. :D
  • Vital
    Vital Posts: 747
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Don't mean to thread jack but i got some similar, figured i ask here
    momo6500
    Left tweeter produces noise when h/u is on but not actually playing anything. Let's say i set it to Ipod or usb but both are disconnected.
    Noise increases as i turn the volume up and is pretty damn noticable even at volume half way up. You can't really hear much of the noise when music is playing but i know it's there and it's pissing me off.

Could it be x-over??? Or does it sound more like speaker wires are too close to power wire?
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
    Polk Audio SR6500 active and SR124-dvc sealed
    Polk Audio PA500.4 and PA1200.1
  • Installer4life
    Installer4life Posts: 256
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Vital wrote: »
    Don't mean to thread jack but i got some similar, figured i ask here
    momo6500
    Left tweeter produces noise when h/u is on but not actually playing anything. Let's say i set it to Ipod or usb but both are disconnected.
    Noise increases as i turn the volume up and is pretty damn noticable even at volume half way up. You can't really hear much of the noise when music is playing but i know it's there and it's pissing me off.

Could it be x-over??? Or does it sound more like speaker wires are too close to power wire?

Do you have an amp or just the radio? Describe the noise. Is it crackling or is it a whine.
  • Vital
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Do you have an amp or just the radio? Describe the noise. Is it crackling or is it a whine.

Running of bridged PA200.4

Kinda hard to describe the noise but it's more like noise coming from tv when u wake up at 4am and channel u were watching before you passed out is not running any programs anymore LOL. Basically just constant static type noise.
    tv_static.jpg
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • Installer4life
    Installer4life Posts: 256
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Swap the inputs to the amp. If the noise switches sides then it either the cables or the headunit. If not then switch the speaker output wires at the amp. If it switches sides this time then its probably the amp. If it doesn't then its either the tweeter, crossover or wiring.
  • Vital
    edited March 2010
    Options
    After some wire switching back and forth as per Installer4life i realized that BOTH sides make that static noise. For some reason i was sure it was just the left one but it's def both.

Which still keeps the same conponents as to blame - comps, wiring, h/u...

Any advice on that??

Dskip - h/u doesn't turn on when car is completly off, only when it's in ACC mode. Noise is there don't matter if engine is on or off.
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ