I have a great center channel, but I need Help

Options
cscsDanny
cscsDanny Posts: 30
edited May 2003 in Speakers
Ok, fellas here's the setup. Sony STR-DE685 receiver matted to a Sony DVP NC655P dvd player hooked up to a cs400I, two rt1000i, and two rt55i. I live in a condo so I have forgone a subwoofer for now.

Now, onto my question. What "level" do you fells use to set your center channel speaker and does it change for movies? It seems like I have to set my center to +3 - +5" for film just to get clear dialouge. It seems like films today on 5.1 systems emphasis the explosions and effects and fall short of providing clear powerful dialouge. However, when It comes to playing music I have to scale the center down. In 5.1 pro logic 2 my center needs to be placed at "-3 to -5" otherwise the center overwhelms every other speaker during music play. All speakers except for the rt100i are set to small. They seem to sound better that way.

What am I missing here? Is there a universal setting to acheive 5.1 harmony? Btw, am i the only person here who cranks there surrounds to +6 to +8 to get anything appreciable out of them?
Receiver: Pioneer Elite VSX-43TX
DVD PLAYER: Sony DVP-NC655P
Mains: Bi-Amped Polk Rt1000i
Surrounds: Bi-Wired Polk Rt55i
Center: Bi-Wired Polk Cs400i
Subwooofer: SVS PB1

Post edited by cscsDanny on

Comments

• izafar
    izafar Posts: 814
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Looks like you are doing level adjustment by hearing only. Get yourself a SPL Meter. A ratshack version will run for $35 and use that calibrate your system. You will find plenty of posts on this forum that discuss this process in detail. Specially if your search for such posts by Dr. Spec. you will get a very robust/detailed method of calibrating you system.

Now regarding the differences in DPL2 and DD and DTS, I think your receiver should have the ability to remember level settings for each mode, use that feature and tweak level settings for each mode.
    -izafar

Goldenear Technology Triton 1 - Benchmark AHB2 - Benchmark LA4 - Auralic Vega - Auralic Aries Mini - Marantz TT-15S1 - Clearaudio Nano
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I wen't through this before i started posting here, Go to radio shack and get a SPL sound meter, the speaker settings can't be guessed accuratly anyways.. I to had my surrounds cranked up, considered external amps for the surrounds and all, I got the spl meter and set up the speakers to 75db and all set to small and i have never heard it sound so good, It does work, and will fix the level problems, I sometimes crank my sub up or center abit but not usually, only when it's a dvd that seems mastered lower then others, Otherwise it sounds good for music and movies, pro logic will generally make the center channel stand out i believe,
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited May 2003
    Options
    this is from Dr.spec..

1) Get yourself a properly calibrated SPL meter.

2) Use the test tones on the receiver, or a calibration DVD. The DVD is supposedly better, but both methods are acceptable and WAY better than calibrating by ear. Note, the following is for the 75dB tone method - I know one DVD test disc requires 85 dB instead, but you get the idea.

3) Set all the individual speaker volume controls on the receiver to 0. Set the sub volume control to -5.

4) Play the center channel test tone and measure the SPL AT your listening position.

5) Adjust the Master volume on the receiver until the test tone for the center channel speaker is showing 75 dB on the SPL meter.

6) DON'T touch the Master volume ANYMORE, and write down the Master volume setting.

7) Switch to the test tones for the mains and surrounds and adjust the individual speaker volume controls on the receiver (NOT the Master volume) until they also read 75 dB at the listening position.

8) Switch to the sub test tone and adjust the plate amp volume control AT THE SUB (NOT the receiver Master volume, and NOT the receiver sub volume, which should be left at -5) until the SPL meter reads about 75 dB at the listening position. If you like your bass a bit on the hot side, adjust the sub amp volume control until you hit 78 dB at the listening position. The bass tone will fluctuate some on the SPL meter, so try to take an average.

Your system is now properly calibrated, and the Master volume setting you wrote down will get you pretty close to reference level SPL peaks for both surround sound and bass.

Doc
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • cscsDanny
    edited May 2003
    Options
    WOW, fellas I bought that little meter tonight from radio shack. Ok, was I skeptical, but wow DID IT MAKE A DIFFERENCE. I have all of my speakers set at odd volumes, but from my primary listening position my system sounds fantastic. Thanks, Im even going to keep this little device.

• cscsDanny
    edited May 2003
    Options
    BTW, i did this using test tones from the receiver. Should you have any other calibration pearls of wisdom please pass them along.

• dthomps
    dthomps Posts: 352
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Check out Avia or Home Theater Essentials, they have some test tones built in, and are supposed to be a little better. You can also adjust your TV set as well. Never used one, but I think I have read people have rented them from Blockbuster, which is definitely worth it. Take it easy Danny, nice to see you back.
    Mike
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited May 2003
    Options
    A slight update - some people like to use Master Volume 00 to calibrate the test tones, and some AVRs default to 00 when the test tones are activated.

It all depends on the AVR and how the Master Volume control reads out. The basic calibration method is unchanged, though.

My Denon auto-defaults to 00 on the internal tones. I use 00 for the Avia disc for channel balancing, and also for Reference Level calibration (which requires 85 dB on the tones with Avia).

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS