Best way to spend $600?

Shizelbs
Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
edited May 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
One of my classmates told me on our commute from work that she is going to buy a stereo this weekend. She is looking to spend $500-600. She will be starting from scratch; in that she will need new sources as well.

Any specific suggestions on speakers and other components she should look into? She appreciates the help. Thanks.
Post edited by Shizelbs on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2003
    So what are we talking here, up to 6 Franklins on a source, amp/pre and a pair of speakers?

Man, isn't it fun living vicarously through others?

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Shizelbs
    edited May 2003
    Russ,

Yeah, thats pretty much what we are talking about. I think I have some spare wire to throw her way though.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2003
    Is this something she would want to expand on later? Go 5.1 etc?

Also, is she opened to used, or does she want to place the order/go pick it all up etc?

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Shizelbs
    edited May 2003
    She does not have plans of going 5.1 or similar. Should she want to, like me, she will be a pharmacist and likely will have the resources to buy what she wants then. For now she just needs a stereo system.

I do not think she opposed to used, but I am guessing that she would prefer new. She is also not opposed to online purchases either.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited May 2003
    I would go for a cheap DVD player as the source, a pair of RTi38(with nice stands), and a 2ch receiver or used 2ch integrated. I don't think all that would cost over $600. This is just for stereo. If she decides to get serious and wants 5.1, she could start fresh and move the 2ch system into a bedroom or something.

Maurice
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited May 2003
    http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4103&highlight=3020

The options are nearly limitless if she is willing to go used...

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited May 2003
    Man, I'm just about to tell Shizelbs to get her butt in here if she wants advice, and then I read BDT's sig... not exactly a woman magnet there... :rolleyes:
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited May 2003
    yeah, I need to change that I suppose....

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut