Possible new XBOX360 slim motherboard pics

Options
Zeros
Zeros Posts: 940
edited March 2010 in Video Games
http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/17/xbox-360-valhalla-motherboard-leaked-on-chinese-forum/

Rumor has it that this is the motherboard for the new XBOX360 slim. Interesting stuff.
Post edited by Zeros on

Comments

• packetjones
    packetjones Posts: 1,059
    edited March 2010
    Options
    This is interesting. I got the 3 red lights the other day. I turned it off and on and it works now, but it is only a matter of time before it dies. The wife has already said I can replace it when it dies. i wonder what a redesigned one would look like. I have a relative that is looking to get one as well. I may tell them to wait and see when this new one is released.
    Front - RTiA5's
    Rear - RTiA3's
    Center - CSiA4
    Sub - PSW110
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,654
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I feel under the 3 year for red ring of death. I consider myself lucky.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • kuntasensei
    kuntasensei Posts: 3,263
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I'm on my 12th 360 since launch. Seriously. Fortunately, the one I got with the Jasper chipset has been rock solid.

$20 says they'll find a way to red-ring this new one somehow. :)
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
    Polk RTi70 mains, CSi40 center, RTi38 surrounds, RTi28 rears and heights
    SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer powered by Crown XLS1500
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player
    DarbeeVision DVP5000 video processor
    Epson 8500UB 1080p projector
    Elite Screens Sable 120" CineWhite screen
  • packetjones
    packetjones Posts: 1,059
    edited March 2010
    Options
    If i had 12 of them i would have given up. lol
    Front - RTiA5's
    Rear - RTiA3's
    Center - CSiA4
    Sub - PSW110
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I'm on my 12th 360 since launch. Seriously. Fortunately, the one I got with the Jasper chipset has been rock solid.

12?? Seriously?? Are you sure they aren't overheating? You have to keep them in the wide open spaces...
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited March 2010
    Options

I'll stick with PC gaming, thanks.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • kuntasensei
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I'm in IT, love home theater, and my dad was an electrical engineer. I grew up wiring control panels and cooling systems. I assure you none of them died from cramped spaces or newbie mistakes. I even had an electrician come check the power in the house because Microsoft tried to lay it off on noisy power once.

In fairness, several of the deaths were DOA refurbs, one was in a fire in the UPS truck, one was bricked by a dashboard update the day I got it, etc. They weren't all red-ringed.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • wutadumsn23
    wutadumsn23 Posts: 3,702
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I'm in IT, love home theater, and my dad was an electrical engineer. I grew up wiring control panels and cooling systems. I assure you none of them died from cramped spaces or newbie mistakes. I even had an electrician come check the power in the house because Microsoft tried to lay it off on noisy power once.

In fairness, several of the deaths were DOA refurbs, one was in a fire in the UPS truck, one was bricked by a dashboard update the day I got it, etc. They weren't all red-ringed.

LOL, classic. My son's died on him about 4 months after he got it, was replaced by what I suspect is a Jasper and he has been fine since. I love my PS3, and it is still kicking, even after a close call today, lol.

-Jeff
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Mains- Polk Audio Monitor 70
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Surrounds- Polk Audio TSi 500's :D
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Retired- Polk Audio Monitor 40's
    T.V.- 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000 LCoS
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)
    Polk Audio Monitor 10A's :cool:

It's not that I'm insensitive, I just don't care.. :D
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I'm not an XBOX guy....just use PS3s. But a question or two for everyone.

Does the new XBOX read high-res-discs like blu-rays...or are its games in some other HD format? How does its processor hold up against the 'vaunted' Sony PS3 cell processor...? What design changes and new capabilities will this new BOX have?

I was just curious what XBOX has done since the Toshiba made HD-DVD drives are no longer in operation in them?

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • kuntasensei
    edited March 2010
    Options
    The new one, power wise, would be no different than the old one. They're just combining the GPU and CPU on one chip, using smaller traces so that it takes less power and produces less heat. It's basically like the PS3 vs. the PS3 Slim - same system, same power, just smaller.

I can guarantee you that Microsoft isn't going to change from DVD this generation, and the HD-DVD drives were just an external add-on, never in the system itself. It would drive up the cost of the 360, whereas their strategy against Sony will be to keep it cheaper than the PS3. Plus, they're too invested in digital delivery of movies at this point to bother with Blu-ray. The biggest reason the 360 got such a jump over the PS3 is that they didn't try to leverage a new disc format. Blu-ray, while great, was kind of Sony's downfall this generation (though for me, it's those tiny toy controllers that don't fit my hands at all).

As for what new features this redesigned 360 will have, who knows? Microsoft isn't even owning up to these being real, but then neither did Sony when the pics of the PS3 Slim leaked out. I wouldn't be surprised if this new system redesign is introduced this holiday season when Project Natal is scheduled to drop. Don't be shocked if you see a $250 package with the redesigned 360 and Natal in the same box.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • wutadumsn23
    wutadumsn23 Posts: 3,702
    edited March 2010
    Options
    (though for me, it's those tiny toy controllers that don't fit my hands at all).

LOL, and I always thought the XBox controllers felt like I was playing with a dinner plate.

-Jeff
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Mains- Polk Audio Monitor 70
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Surrounds- Polk Audio TSi 500's :D
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Retired- Polk Audio Monitor 40's
    T.V.- 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000 LCoS
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)
    Polk Audio Monitor 10A's :cool:

It's not that I'm insensitive, I just don't care.. :D
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited March 2010
    Options

How can you tell if you have the Jasper chipset?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Osarion
    Osarion Posts: 180
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Look for a lot # of 0843 or higher or the power brick will say 150W output instead of 175W
  • kuntasensei
    edited March 2010
    Options
    A clue that this redesign might be real was that Joystiq reported today that a Spring update will enable USB storage devices to work for saving game data, up to 16gb capacity. If you look at the front of that supposed 360 slim motherboard... there are two USB ports and the power switch, but no memory card socket. So it makes sense for them to enable USB storage if they're no longer going to offer memory card use on the new redesigned 360. Coincidence? I don't think so.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited March 2010
    Options
    There are already USB ports on the 360 so it doesn't really confirm much. The 2 controller ports are USB and there's at least one on the back (not at home to check).

I'm sure they'll release one if its going to save them money long term.
  • kuntasensei
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Demiurge wrote: »
    There are already USB ports on the 360 so it doesn't really confirm much. The 2 controller ports are USB and there's at least one on the back (not at home to check).

I'm sure they'll release one if its going to save them money long term.

I know that there are already USB ports. My point was that all there is on the front face of that motherboard is 2 USB ports and the power switch. There are no memory card sockets attached to the PCB the way there are on the current motherboards (see here), so they'd have to offer some alternative storage method than the hard drive. Joystiq's rumor about a spring update enabling USB mass storage would make sense to fill that need with these new motherboards.

Microsoft has been trying to ditch memory cards for a while now, and the newer motherboards are required to have 256mb of internal storage so the NXE dashboard will work on them (because Avatar support takes up memory).
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp
  • kuntasensei
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Right after I posted that, I saw this:
    http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/18/ben-heck-ponders-xbox-360-slim-motherboard-memory-unit-support/

So I'm not the only one thinking that. Ben Heck goes so far as to say that they may be going with an internal hard drive, which would be an interesting move on Microsoft's part.
    Equipment list:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010 9.2 AVR
    Emotiva XPA-3 amp