Are Polk components hard to push?

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited May 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
I'm talking about non-Momo 6.5'' Polk components. I don't want to invest ton of money into car audio - want something desent. I will go with either Alpine mid-range unit or Khamelon from JVC - will that be enough power to push Polks, or are they hard to drive? At this point I don't want to upgrade wiring either - basically do a direct swap - 6.5'' component Polk in front, 4'' coaxial in the back.

Thanks.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• newsman
    newsman Posts: 203
    edited May 2003
    Hmm why did it allow me to post even though I apperently wasn't logged on at the time? - now for some reason my own message is on my "Ignore list" ? Anyway here is my original text:

Are Polk components hard to push? ...

I'm talking about non-Momo 6.5'' Polk components. I don't want to invest ton of money into car audio - want something desent. I will go with either Alpine mid-range unit or Khamelon from JVC - will that be enough power to push Polks, or are they hard to drive? At this point I don't want to upgrade wiring either - basically do a direct swap - 6.5'' component Polk in front, 4'' coaxial in the back.

Thanks.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited May 2003
    a mid grade deck will give you a 4 channel output of roughly between 20 and 27 watts rms... probably 20...

but for the sake of arguement lets say 27 (note... "60 x 4 max power" deck output is like 25 watts rms)

27 watts of **** clippy truncated-bandwidth deck power is not going to do anything for a set of 6.5" components.

even if you go with the EX III comp set... you need at least 30 x 4 AMP POWER to push them.

amp power is full range (well then you x it over on the low end, but thats a whole difft discussion... ), rich, full in the middle end, non-hollow, and usually more true to its numbers than deck power.

in short... MINIMUM 30 watts amp power... preferably 60 ... if you're really into it... 100. if these were momo comps i'd be saying 150 x 2 minimum, preferably 200 x 2... why? run something that's 100 x 2 at 3/4 power (75) and its going to run cleaner and better than something that's 75 x 2 running at 100% power.

can you run 6.5" comps off a 27 watt deck... i would'nt do it... i dont know of many people that would. so i'd say "no".

can you physically electrically do it.. yes.. but good luck with that sound... its gonna sound like choad.

much better to get a set of EXIII coaxials. they'll do better off of deck power... they're designed for it.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge