MBQuart vs Polk

Options
2»

Comments

• arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Okie. too much technical. I am confused now. :)

So what do you guys suggest ? Which sub should I go for ? Please help with model number.

Ignore the tech talk. :) For your install, your amp is not stable at 2ohms in bridged mode. Hence unless you plan to change the amp (no real reason to), stick with a 4 ohm svc sub. 8-10".

Stay away from from stuff like xplod, entry level pioneers (in India most of the entry level pio speakers are fake). Based on your budget look at stuff like JBL GT5-10, Polk db 1040 etc. There will be other choices as well in the 4-5K range. Find out what options you can get and then we can decide.
  • agarwalgaurav81
    agarwalgaurav81 Posts: 24
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I am ok with Polk db series. My budget is around Rs.5k. I guess Polk db1040 well fits in.
    I would be interested in is Good SQ. I felt the current setup is ok as far as bass is concerned. However, as you guys suggest that it could be further enhanced and taken to next level of listening, I am game for a Sub. :)

BTW isnt Infinity 475a a gud amp? Does it have issues ? Dont scare me guys. I have spent a bomb on this setup. :) . I hope you have seen the reason for me opting for Infinity over Polk 200.4 in #30.

The suggestions are really valuable. Thanks a lot guys.
  • arun1963
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Relax, its a good setup for your needs. Just go ahead and add the sub.
  • agarwalgaurav81
    edited April 2010
    Options
    What is the Diff between DVC and SVC in a non tech terms ? Also, how it impacts SQ ? Which one is better ? :)
  • arun1963
    edited April 2010
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    I think you're better off getting a DVC if your amp isn't bridgeable. You can use one channel per voice coil and not have to stick to a single channel for the sub power. If they were bridgeable, then a SVC would be fine.

It's bridgeable but at 4 ohms. Hence SVC.
  • agarwalgaurav81
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Hi All,

I am facing a problem with my Battery. It is getting drained out with-in 10 mins of starting (with engine off). I dont know what's wrong. I went to the car workshop. They say problem is with wiring of Amp and they wont look into it as I got it installed from outside shop.

Please help.
  • arun1963
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Could be a weak battery or a wiring issue. Which city are you in? Visit a good installer and get your wiring checked. Check the battery as well. If its a new car everything should still be under warranty, including the battery if its faulty.
  • agarwalgaurav81
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I am from Hyderabad. Can you suggest some good installer? I got it done at Sproket.
    If I get amp unhooked, I suppose Component will not produce sound. Car dealer says, since I drive car around 50km in a week (once or twice weekly) is a problem. They also says could be because of wiring problem of amp. According to them car battery is not meant to put Amp and central locking (Autocop).
  • arun1963
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Sprocket should have done a decent install, but anythings possible with installers here. Driving the car for 50 kms, twice a week and listening to music for a few hours when parked, should not drain your battery. Chances are its either a wiring issue with amp or the after market central locking you installed or a weak battery.

To identify the cause you have to check and eliminate the possible causes. Disconnecting the amp is the first step. If the battery still dies after you have disconnected the amp, you have eliminated the amp and its wiring.

You can also try and show the car to another dealership.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited May 2010
    Options
    $150 to 200 for amps (notice that is plural).

eBay here you come... better start shopping for the "DOA - for fix or repair" section.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • agarwalgaurav81
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Hi, I am planning to get Subwoofer installed this week. I have Infinity Ref475A amp installed with DB6501 and Pioneer 4290 HU.

Specifications for Infinity Ref475A is as Follows :
    Power Output : 75 watts RMS x 4 channel at 4 ohms and 1% THD + N
    180 watts RMS x 2 channel at 4 ohms and 1% THD + N, 14.4V supply
    Signal-to-Noise Ratio : 85dBA (reference 1 watt into 4 ohms)
    Dynamic Power : 117 watts at 2 ohms
    Effective Damping Factor : 6.315 at 4 ohms
    Frequency Response : (-3dB) 10Hz to 100kHz (-3dB)
    Maximum Input Signal : 6V
    Maximum Sensitivity : 100mV

I am planning for either DB1040 (10", 270w RMS) or DB840 (8", 180w RMS)

Which one will best complements the above configration ?

Thanks for the help in advance.
  • arun1963
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Lots of questions i have to ask you.

1. Is the sub an svc or a dvc?

2. vehicle? I think its a swift?

3. If you're running it in a hatch like the swift, an 8-10" would be fine. If you're running it in a 3 box car, a 12" is min. If your running a 12" ideally you want more power
  • agarwalgaurav81
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Hi Arun,

As advised by you, I'll be buying SVC. I have Maruti Ritz VXI. My main concern is power. Will my amp able to support 10" 270 RMS sub.
    I am ok with 8" if i wont be compromising on sound quality.
    Also, will DB or MM will make huge difference ?

regards,
    Gaurav
  • arun1963
    edited August 2010
    Options
    http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://everisemotors.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/maruti-suzuki-ritz-41.jpg&imgrefurl=http://abjit.hostjournalbook.eu/100418/p2/&h=600&w=800&sz=93&tbnid=2OEj1gDkp7JdYM:&tbnh=107&tbnw=143&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsuzuki%2Britz&hl=en&usg=__mHaqqu7uDhGNsx7p5Rx77FkYOMs=&sa=X&ei=nNRiTInYHIPOvQOqnLifCg&ved=0CCsQ9QEwBg

Thats the car. If you can fit a 1 cuft box in the hatch, then yes go for the 10". Running off 2 channels bridged at your amp, it would get 180 watts. I have a 12" in a 3 box ford fiesta running of 200rms and I love the amt of sub bass I have. The sub in the hatch is going to play louder. I think you'll like it.

Db vs MM? Whats the price difference at your point of purchase?
  • agarwalgaurav81
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Hi Arun,

Will it be too loud ? I just want sub to complement the Music. I have only DB6501 comp in the front and no rear speakers. I hope my sub will not overpower the front. :)

I havent checked on the price front as of now. I am from Hyderabad. What is your opinion on considering MM over DB ?
  • arun1963
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Will it be too loud ? I just want sub to complement the Music. I have only DB6501 comp in the front and no rear speakers. I hope my sub will not overpower the front. :)

I havent checked on the price front as of now. I am from Hyderabad. What is your opinion on considering MM over DB ?

I should have explained better. For clean sub bass that blends well with your front components and just fills in the low end, its a given that you would cut your sub somewhere around the 50-63khz mark.

I can almost bet that all cars you have heard with a sub, would have been loud and boomy. The sub would be overpowering everything. That's what happens when you run a 100hz or higher cutoff on the sub. I was not talking about that kind of loudness.

The 10" sub in your Ritz will be closer to you than the 12" in my car. Also because the Ritz is a hatch, there are no physical barriers between you and the sub (eg the boot). So with simmilar power(180-200watts) and cutoff point(say 50hz where I run it) your 10" would sound slightly louder. Not boomy and overpowering. The difference would stand out when you turn the volume down.

While driving, I typically run the volume at around 50/63. With the proper gain setting and most frequencies at my eq cut 2-8db, 50 isn't that loud. So at 50 I have a great balance between the sub bass and the rest of the sound. However when I turn the volume down to say 30-35, I lose almost all the sub bass. You on the other hand won't lose that much when you turn the volume down. Thats what I really meant with the loudness bit.

Hear both the db and the MM subs and see which sounds better in your setup and car. The shop you buy from should be able to give you this A/B test.
  • catch22atplay
    catch22atplay Posts: 130
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I think you're better off using the 10" MM vs the DB. Sensitivity is 91db vs 86db. Fairly significant with the limited amount of watts you have. The QTS of the MM would be lower as well. Also subs are typically rated at 10% distortion. You'd be well under that with the MM as you'd be well under it's power ratings. The MM should really complement the system with the correct crossover settings. 12" would be the other option. Again the MM if you can afford it. Sensitivity is 92db for the MM vs 88db for the DB. The 12 would play a bit lower than the 10. Some prefer the sound of a 10 vs a 12. You really need to listen to all 4 of these to see which you prefer.
    Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab 2007
    Pioneer DEX-P99RS, IPOD Touch 64gb, Rockford Fosgate T1000-4, T600-2 & T1500-1bd CP
    Polk Audio SR speakers, 6.5's, 5.25's, SR tweets and 2 SR124-DVC subs in 1.57cu ft sealed enclosures
  • agarwalgaurav81
    edited October 2010
    Options
    So finally settled to DB1240... and it sounds awesome..

Thanks guys for helping me out.. :)
  • arun1963
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Congrats Gaurav. The sub will complete the entire audible range from from 20-20khz.

Do you ever visit Delhi?
  • agarwalgaurav81
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Guys.. bad news.. unfortunatly, I tried playing with the adjustments and lost the awesomeness :'( .. now the sub is really boomy..

I guess i need to revisit the installer.. :(

Not really arun.. may be in a year or two.. why ?